Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
What it dose....
When you turn off pto and the tractor shaft stopS ( PTO Brake)...The remaining forces of BH flywheel/blades can turn to a stop on there own free time..usually 30 seconds ++++...Without Frying your PTO Brake.

·
Administrator
18,276 Posts
Reactions: Wayne007

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Slip clutch on a brush mower is a "maybe"..Most come with a 1/2" or less shear bolt.

What you need...An over run clutch.....Simple easy dealio that saves your PTO Brake.

Get one..thank me never or whenever.

View attachment 742991
Thanks for the advice but I thought those were for older tractors like my '54 Ferguson, although it makes sense. It came with a 1/2 inch shear pin but I may look into a clutch. I was referring to the chain guard to limit debris from flying.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
Very timely post. I just inquired the other day about a Woods RC4. I can order it in green, wanted to get the chain guard in place of the plastic guard and slip clutch. Can anyone give real world opinion of it versus a LandPride? Dealer also has them, but I am a fan of Woods and I am willing to pay a little extra for the quality.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Very timely post. I just inquired the other day about a Woods RC4. I can order it in green, wanted to get the chain guard in place of the plastic guard and slip clutch. Can anyone give real world opinion of it versus a LandPride? Dealer also has them, but I am a fan of Woods and I am willing to pay a little extra for the quality.
The only thing I can say is I looked at the Land Pride before I bought the Titan and the deck was thinner (12g vs 11g) and the warranty on the gearbox was less (3yr vs 5yr) The Titan can be ordered in green also.

·
Premium Member
7,816 Posts
I would have to check to confirm, BUT I think my Bush Hog uses 5/16" chain for the guards.
Also nothing wrong with RED brush hogs.
DSCN7773.JPG

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I would have to check to confirm, BUT I think my Bush Hog uses 5/16" chain for the guards.
Also nothing wrong with RED brush hogs. View attachment 743570
Yeah I called the factory and the parts guy told me to use 5/16 chain. So I bought some 2 x 2 x 1/4 angle iron and about 50 ft of chain and I'm gonna weld up my own guards. Instead of the slots like yours has I'm gonna weld the links to the angle iron. He said space them 1&1/2 inches apart on center. If they every break or wear out I just have to grind it off and replace it. I can build it for about 20% of what it cost to buy one.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
OK, so I finally made the chain guards for my brush hog. Dealer wanted over $500 and I managed to build them for around $87. Took it out on it's and my first run and mowed a guys yard that was almost 5 ft high. I managed to do almost an acre of it in a little over 2 hours and scored $200. The 1025R didn't even break a sweat and the Titan hog was awesome. Not sure I'd want to do it on a daily basis but once in a while probably isn't bad. My allergies would stop me. Gotta add a small tack weld to the top link of the chain to keep it from flipping up but all in all it worked like it should.
IMG_4261.JPG IMG_4266.JPG IMG_4263.JPG

·
Registered
38 Posts
Even on bigger tractors you can save wear and tear on the PTO if you slow the engine down to an idle then disengage the PTO before shutting the engine off. This also saves wear on the gear case bearings as the blades will stay in position rather than fold back throwing the cutter out of balance.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
OK, so I finally made the chain guards for my brush hog. Dealer wanted over $500 and I managed to build them for around $87. Took it out on it's and my first run and mowed a guys yard that was almost 5 ft high. I managed to do almost an acre of it in a little over 2 hours and scored $200. The 1025R didn't even break a sweat and the Titan hog was awesome. Not sure I'd want to do it on a daily basis but once in a while probably isn't bad. My allergies would stop me. Gotta add a small tack weld to the top link of the chain to keep it from flipping up but all in all it worked like it should.
View attachment 744989 View attachment 744990 View attachment 744991
Nice. I cheated and ordered them on mine. Still a couple weeks away and stuff keeps growing, so I might be cutting 5 foot grass as well.

·
Registered
299 Posts
So, in the real world, these1025R can handle a 4' mower? I only have a couple of hours on mine as I use the 5320 with a MX8 to mow around my place. But, having said that, I have some tight areas that a small mower might be nice.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
View attachment 744989 View attachment 744990 View attachment 744991
Nice job! I understand the tack weld on top link to keep them from flipping up, sounds like a good solution.

My two cents on brand name, when it comes to a 4' cutter, they are so small I dont think you can hardly tear one up. The decks just aren't big enough to be subject to vibration cracking like bigger cutters and the gear box is the same as many 5' or 6' cutters. Mine is a very old John Deere 403 (I think) the deck is beat to crap and has been beat out several times. I pull it behind a John Deere 750 (20hp tractor but size wise bigger than a 1 series) and it cuts anything I have ever run over. I cut about a half acre of very over grown road frontage with it, this was behind the ditch line and in front of a barb wire fence on my property, grass was at least 7' tall and cut it down no problem, I did go slow it was the first time I had ever cut there. I will be adding the chains like you have to this cutter, originals are long gone! Again, nice job.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
So, in the real world, these1025R can handle a 4' mower? I only have a couple of hours on mine as I use the 5320 with a MX8 to mow around my place. But, having said that, I have some tight areas that a small mower might be nice.
Yes mine handled it with no problem and by the end of the job I was maneuvering it like a pro, backing it up to get close and acting like I had been doing it for years. I just had to be mindful that I had 19 foot of equipment out there but it really was a piece of cake.........except for the pollen :mad: 🤧🤬

21 - 34 of 34 Posts