Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my Brush modification. The brush originally came with storage stands. I replaced them with casters. Now I can just roll it where I want it.:lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
Randy,
That is a good idea too. The brush is lower in profile than I expected and looks to be agressive. Do you get much year round use out of it? I am still considering getting the broom.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Here is my Brush modification. The brush originally came with storage stands. I replaced them with casters. Now I can just roll it where I want it.:lol:
That is a cool modification.

I need to add some drop down stands to my hay grapple. I think I will put that on the winter project list. I hope it gets done this winter. :)

D.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Randy,
Do you get much year round use out of it?
Steve,
Really the most I have used it for is snow. But, early this spring I swept corn cobs out of the lawn with it. I really expected the brush to be a mess. It really wasn't. I can see using it for dethatching a lawn if needed. I have entertained those ideas, just not carried it out.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I want one to brush off my driveway.

D.
Sorry, guess I didn't make it clear. I mostly use it to brush snow off my driveway. Missed the humor if that was your intent.:unknown:

·
Registered
733 Posts
I can see using it for dethatching a lawn if needed. I have entertained those ideas, just not carried it out.
I used my 246 for spring cleanup...used it to sweep all the winter gravel from out of my grass...also, this spring my yard was a mess with matted down wet leaves, Broomed them all into a pile in no time. One thing with using it on grass...I made a set of "gauge wheels" so the broom doesnt dig in too much....Dont ask me how I found out, LOL!
As a side note Randy (I know we were discussing this in another thread here)...I rebuilt that entire broom, and the entire thing is powdercoated...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Randy:

I like it, a nice simple little modification that goes a long way towards making one's life easier.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used my 246 for spring cleanup...used it to sweep all the winter gravel from out of my grass...also, this spring my yard was a mess with matted down wet leaves, Broomed them all into a pile in no time. One thing with using it on grass...I made a set of "gauge wheels" so the broom doesnt dig in too much....Dont ask me how I found out, LOL!
I also noticed that if you set the broom heavy and leave it in one spot too long it will certainly dig a hole.

As a side note Randy (I know we were discussing this in another thread here)...I rebuilt that entire broom, and the entire thing is powdercoated...
Dave it looks like you did a great job.:thumbup1gif: You really can not go wrong with powdercoating. So what is a ball park price on those bigger panels?

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
733 Posts
Dave it looks like you did a great job.:thumbup1gif: You really can not go wrong with powdercoating. So what is a ball park price on those bigger panels?
Thanks Randy!
I paid $200.00 for sandblasting & coating everything on the broom....all the black was $100.00 and the yellow was 100.00, the yellow was "more expensive" because it was a special run, they do black ALL the time, so anything I get done in that "Satin Black" is way cheaper then any special colors. PLUS I was in a time crunch, so I requested it be done...typically if i'm not in a rush I tell them and they do it when they can at considerable discount....Oh, all 4 wheels on the F935 are powder coated too...

I have only one "complaint" with powder....no body fillers...If I woulda liquid painted the yellow hood myself, I woulda used body filler to fix the imperfections....but especially on the hood, I wanted durability.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
733 Posts
No, definately not.

Currently the powder I am using calls for 400 degrees at 10 min. Here is where I have been buying the powder.

http://www.powderbuythepound.com/
Couldnt tell you what specs go with the Powder they use...I can tell you the yellow is DuPont Powder...they have an 8'x10' room COMPLETELY packed with color samples of colors they stock...

How they explained it to me of how they do this...they rack it up and sandblast...best way to describe the sandblaster is a huge dishwasher..its automated, after the cycle, a guy gets in and touches up any corners that were missed. Then without ever touching the parts they then phosphate coat the parts and then powder coat.

I'm thinking this probably holds true for a home type powder setup, but 90% of the cost of powdercoating is the sandblasting...my first experience with powdercoating wasnt because I wanted powder...I was looking for a sandblast shop to blast the rims on the F935...was quoted something like 75.00 to blast only and 100.00 to blast & coat...the decision was simple.

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Which version of Lab Metal are you using as I'd like to try the stuff; but have no way to bake the high temp version.
That is a good question, it has been awhile since I have actually used it. I will have to check. According to the high temp link it does not require heat to cure it. Once air cured it is good to withstand 1000 degrees.

Another filler that works for small imperfections is J-B Weld. It takes powder coating just fine.
Thanks, I have not tried this.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts