Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This thread is about my son's 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD bumper upgrade.
24838471_143764392941786_5936129846613639168_n.jpg

A Pelfreybuilt front bumper was ordered to replace the factory bumper.
pb-bumper.png
Specs:
Full Hoops
10 ga. Steel
1/4" Steel Welded Reinforced Brackets
3/4" D-ring mounts
Total weight - 125 Lbs.

The below pic is after delivery and unpackaging.
View attachment 549945
IMG_0244.JPG

It was then prepped for painting. He realized he should have spent the extra $200 to have it powder-coated.
View attachment 549961
IMG_0455.jpg

It was primed one evening, then painted the following day.
View attachment 549969
IMG_0468.jpg

Today we began the installation. First, the grill was removed. After measuring and placing mark lines, Bubba(it's not his real name, we call him Bubba for schlitz & giggles :laugh:) cut off the lower front section of the fenders.
Ya see all the collision dampening parts on the grass and concrete below? That's now what we call junk.

IMG_0488.jpg
IMG_0487.jpg

According to the instruction from Pelfreybilt, it states to test-fit the bumper(now known as, collision protection) prior to installing the winch and other accessories, incase modifications are needed. So, we did just that,....we test fit the bumper. All was good, so had each a beer to celebrate.

IMG_0489.jpg

We removed the bumper and Bubba began installation of the Smittybuilt X-RC Comp 9.5k (Synthetic rope) winch and fog lights.
IMG_0497.jpg
View attachment 549985

Below, Bubba is installing the winch control box.
IMG_0498.jpg View attachment 550001

Once that was done, we reinstalled the bumper to finalize the wiring.
IMG_0499.jpg
View attachment 550009

By the time the fog light wiring was complete, our daylight had turned to darkness as the Sun set into pappa's back yard in the State of Jefferson.

Look! Bubba's on his cajun cardboard creeper, attaching the fog light wiring.
I had to help him back onto his feet.
IMG_0504.jpg

The winch manufacturers states to spool(wrap) the first 10' of Synthetic rope by hand, then apply 1000 lbs. to complete the spooling. At this time, we employed the help of my 330. It's curb-weight is 900 lbs. Add the 3-point hitch, front blade(dirt use only) , my 221 lbs. fat-a$$ and a 12 oz. beer, :lol: we had succeeded in that proceedure. :good2:
BD151C0A-FB8F-419C-BBFB-3538838E2771.jpg

WARNING --- - File upload limit reached.

To be continued.........................................................Later,

·
Registered
10,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
bam!.jpg Bumper upgrade is complete.

IMG_0503.jpg

These fog light are super bright.
IMG_0513.jpg

It's now way past my beddy-by time
which means, this concludes our broadcast.

I hope you enjoyed reading my post, as much as I did helping my son.

Thanks for looking & reading.
See-ya...............

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Very nice. Looks like a long day but he should get many years out of it. Back in 76 my uncle and I made something like it for the front of my GMC. Had a 12,000 lb Warn winch on a replacement bumper that my uncle took a brush guard for a standard bumper and modified it to the Warn bumper. It was a sweet setup and got a lot of compliments on it. Enjoy your hard work.

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
:bigthumb: flyweight-tell Bubba i think it looks good! :good2:

·
Premium Member
14,101 Posts

·
Registered
10,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very nice. Looks like a long day but he should get many years out of it. Back in 76 my uncle and I made something like it for the front of my GMC. Had a 12,000 lb Warn winch on a replacement bumper that my uncle took a brush guard for a standard bumper and modified it to the Warn bumper. It was a sweet setup and got a lot of compliments on it. Enjoy your hard work.
He chose the 9.5k because it's more than Double the Curb-Weight(4.5k) of the truck. :thumbup1gif:

:bigthumb: flyweight-tell Bubba i think it looks good! :good2:
Will do.
He'll be upgrading to a steel rear bumper also, sometime in the near future.

He's going to spend 10-12 days at Big Bend National Park doing some Primitive Roadside Camping.
He installed the VooDoo bed rack and Smittybilt Roof Top Tent(RTT) about a month ago.
IMG_4983.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
He chose the 9.5k because it's more than Double the Curb-Weight(4.5k) of the truck. :thumbup1gif:

Will do.
He'll be upgrading to a steel rear bumper also, sometime in the near future.

He's going to spend 10-12 days at Big Bend National Park doing some Primitive Roadside Camping.
He installed the VooDoo bed rack and Smittybilt Roof Top Tent(RTT) about a month ago.
View attachment 550361
Bubba must have a nice job to afford the toy he has.. :bigthumb: And what; no group pic! :dunno: :lol: By the way, great job, looks professional in fact even better..:good2: Can I borrow Bubba? :laugh:

·
Registered
10,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bubba must have a nice job to afford the toy he has.. :bigthumb: And what; no group pic! :dunno: :lol: By the way, great job, looks professional in fact even better..:good2: Can I borrow Bubba? :laugh:
Someone has to hold the beer(s), camera & light(after dark). :mocking:

I say, more power to you, if you can get him to do something for you. He's so busy at his job(Instrumentation Design), I have to stand in line to get help from his.

·
Registered
10,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bubba's new(more aggressive) tires(Cooper STT Pro) came in yesterday. He had them mount and aligned the wheel. :thumbup1gif:
He's here at my house now, trimming the lower rear corners of the front wheel wells.:good2: The lugs of the tire were making contact in a tight turn.

The pics were taken at his house yesterday.
FullSizeRender.jpeg

IMG_1191.JPG

IMG_1192.JPG

IMG_1193.JPG

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
Bubba's new(more aggressive) tires(Cooper STT Pro) came in yesterday. He had them mount and aligned the wheel. :thumbup1gif:
He's here at my house now, trimming the lower rear corners of the front wheel wells.:good2: The lugs of the tire were making contact in a tight turn.

The pics were taken at his house yesterday.
View attachment 581385

View attachment 581361

View attachment 581369

View attachment 581377
How's it's ride on the road??? Tough looking tires he has there, very nice, I'm envious!!! MY hummer would love those tires! :bigthumb: Look out Prius owners!

·
Registered
10,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How's it's ride on the road??? Tough looking tires he has there, very nice, I'm envious!!! MY hummer would love those tires! :bigthumb: Look out Prius owners!
The ride is good. I don't see where the ride is any different than with the A/T tires. Of course, he drives it daily, so he'd know better.
Surprisingly, the road noise is low.

·
Corndog Hater
11,254 Posts
I think Bubba's truck looks awesome. I also thank you for letting us follow along with his project. I have to just say though, that I am too faint of heart I guess. I don't think I could ever bring myself to tear into a newer vehicle like that and make the mods he has. I'm sure he'll have a blast off roading with it.:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
I think Bubba's truck looks awesome. I also thank you for letting us follow along with his project. I have to just say though, that I am too faint of heart I guess. I don't think I could ever bring myself to tear into a newer vehicle like that and make the mods he has. I'm sure he'll have a blast off roading with it.:thumbup1gif:
I have to say the same thing CP. I would have a very hard time with that especially cutting up metal! Obviously he has skills and has a go for it attitude.. Does he take after Dad??? only dad can answer that question.. I may even have a hard time offroading with it, it's to pristine! One false move and you start all over but I guess that's how really offroading you go!
I used to be in an offroad club for Hummers and no way would I do some of those things they do, cost way to much money fixing them and sometimes you are in the middle of nowhere!!! Nothing like having mud and water up to your front seats and a broken driveshaft to limp out of the woods with!! Like they used to say, hey we got two!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts