Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've wanted to build a smoker for a long time. I've drawn up several versions, horizontal, vertical, reverse flow, stick burner, etc... I thought I wanted a horizontal reverse flow stick burner, but I actually liked my Masterbuilt propane vertical smoker. I've got a buddy that got a pellet grill and I liked his food and the relative ease of use of the grill. Then I found this and I had a plan. (The shop is a mess in the pics below, I'll just get that out of the way now)

It's a Smoke Daddy Pellet Pro Patriot. Their American made pellet hopper. I drew up some plans and the project was born.

I picked up 2 sheets of 10 gauge and 2 sheets of 16 gauge steel on December 23rd.

If my Vulcan welder got under your skin, what until you get a load of my Lotos plasma cutter! Looking back, I realize what a trip hazard the drop cord was.

It's an insulated vertical pellet smoker with a 1" square tubing frame with 10 gauge inner and 16 gauge outer skin.

It's 3' w x 2' d x 4' h

It didn't seem that big when I started.

My 48x96 10 gauge sheets were actually 48 3/4 wide

It rapidly started gaining weight

More in next post.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Look good. The big question is will the build or the cooking be more fun.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pellet hopper support framework

Outer skin being prepped. The three top ports are for temp probes. The one one in the middle is for the pellet hopper probe, the other two are from my wifi thermometer. The larger one on the bottom is for a cold smoke generator.

Putting shelf supports in. The one very close to the top isn't for a rack, it's for rods to hand sausages from.

Supplemental lightning while welding in a box.

1" oven insulation from McMaster Carr fills the top, bottom, walls and doors.

Outer skin going on. You can also see the 5" smoke stack here.

I put some support and lift tabs in the top

The bottom got a 1" drain

Captain Dan, You Got Legs!!!

There are three doors. The bottom one is more for cleaning, I don't see it getting much use on a normal basis. I've got a vent in it, I'm not sure I'll need it. The pellet hopper pushes air in, but It may be useful when I'm cold smoking.

More in next post.

·
Administrator
20,468 Posts
This is looking super sweet Dan! Nice!

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Test fitting the top doors.

This thing is a chore to work on now.

All of the doors are on, the weld on hinges were a chore. All three doors come off. I have to use a hammer, but they come off and go back on too.

Bought spring handles and bent some round stock

That brings us to today. The shell is done except for a flapper for the stack. I have to cut the diffuser plate and build the racks for the inside. Those pics will come as I get them done.

I'm going to paint it with high temp grill paint. It shouldn't really get that hot being a smoker and insulated.

Thanks for looking, I'll be posting more as I go along.

PS, I know my welds stink 😄

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Nice build, looking good.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I got dibs on the first order!
that looks like one serious unit. I think you should open your own barbaque joint. Awesome build to do. I’d be happy with a 55 gallon drum build. Keep us posted on the rest and of course the maiden voyage first smoke. I’m guessing something of the pork variety 😎. Good stuff. Keep it comin

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice build, looking good.
Thanks!
I got dibs on the first order!
that looks like one serious unit. I think you should open your own barbaque joint. Awesome build to do. I’d be happy with a 55 gallon drum build. Keep us posted on the rest and of course the maiden voyage first smoke. I’m guessing something of the pork variety 😎. Good stuff. Keep it comin
It'll be what I can find when I'm ready. 😄 I have baby back ribs in the freezer if all else fails.

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
Looking good Bubber. Looking forward to seeing finished product

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,664 Posts
Wow Bubber, outstanding. (y)

I have baby back ribs in the freezer if all else fails.
I sure am glad we're friends, I'll take two racks of ribs.:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's nice Bubber, I'm beyond impressed.

View attachment 731207
Thanks, that means a lot!

Looking good Bubber. Looking forward to seeing finished product
Thanks, I'm looking forward to getting it done too.

Hope the legs are strong enough to support a fully loaded situation.
Any idea how much the fully loaded weight might be?
Ah......smoked elephant, coming right up. 🐘 😁
I had to stop weighing it when I put the legs on it because it got too tall. The finished weight should be around 700 lbs, give, or take 50 lbs.

2x2 16ga tubing has a column load support limit of over 11,000 lbs, so as long as my welds are good, the material is fine. The leveling feet have a capacity of 800 lbs each, so those are good too.

Wow Bubber, outstanding. (y)

I sure am glad we're friends, I'll take to racks of ribs.:ROFLMAO:
Unfortunately they aren't plant based ribs. :p

·
Registered
997 Posts
Really nice work Bubba !

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the fuser/baffle plate cut today

It's not welded in, so I can change it. I don't know how it's going to work out yet.

I did a bunch of odds and ends. welding up seams and other not so very picture worthy.

I cut the meta for the racks, so here's a picture of some angle iron. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
600 Posts
Following because I have a huge tank I want to make a stick burner offset, your's looks great.

Are you planning on anything on the grates to prevent a full pull-out? I saw some with a simple hook for that purpose and I think I will do that. You can still lift them out to clean, but you can't accidentally dump the goods.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts