·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Got out for a bit this evening and started the racks. 1" angle. Nothing too fancy.

I hope you like my welding table and Harbor Freight corner clamps. Nothing but the best here at Bubber's metal and wood shop.

The top two will get expanded metal and a couple 1/2" square tube supports. I'll get into the expanded metal wrangling tomorrow. It'll be the first time I've tried to cut it with a plasma cutter, so we'll see how that goes.

Test fitting my water pan idea. They are buffet pans, so they are standard size and easy to replace. I'll build a support frame out of 1/2" square tube and if I don't like the pans, I can build a permanent sheet metal pan to replace them. I'll also add another set of rails to lower the pans to just above the diffuser.

I ordered a 2lb spool of flux core wire off of Amazon because I'll run out of gas at some point and I don't know what the supply house situation will be. I ordered it Tuesday, it said it would be here April 15th and it showed up Wednesday. Go figure.

That's all for today, just a little shop time after work.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The build is as finished as I think it can be.

I'll take a flap disk and zip off the mill scale just before I go to season the smoker.

Supports in, so nothing hits the ground and the frame for the water pans is done.

It's supposed to rain tomorrow morning, so I'm going to prep while it's raining and paint in the afternoon if the weather cooperates.

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
Well done sir! I'll take one- painted green :ROFLMAO:

·
Administrator
17,513 Posts
Awesome build Dan (y)

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
That's super nice!

Thanks for taking the time to photograph and explain the fabrication process. I certainly learned quite a bit about smokers that I wasn't aware of beforehand.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well done sir! I'll take one- painted green :ROFLMAO:
Thanks.

I'm pretty sure you don't want one this big. :rolleyes:

Awesome build Dan (y)
Thanks, that means a lot coming from a master fabricator like you!

That's super nice!

Thanks for taking the time to photograph and explain the fabrication process. I certainly learned quite a bit about smokers that I wasn't aware of beforehand.
Thank you. I'm still learning as I go.

I have to paint outside, so no paint today. I wouldn't mind a green smoker, just not like that way.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Can you do hooks in there to hang meat or all grates?

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Can you do hooks in there to hang meat or all grates?
There are two pieces of angle a few inches from the top. I will hang pieces of rod/tube/dowel across those and hooks along those.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,664 Posts
Bubber, You're gonna want work lights. Just Sayin!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Bubbler looks awesome can’t wait for you to share pictures of the first product From your work.

An IMatch compatible cooker or smoker in an awesome idea.

·
Administrator
17,513 Posts
... but does require landscape forks! Does anybody remember those?
I sure do, I have Chris's personal set in fact.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts