Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Notice my bucket level indicator rod is rattling and started binding where it runs through the loop at the bend in the rod.
It's bolted to the curl cylinder and that nut is backed way off allowing a lot of slop in the rod holding part.
This nut looks like it should be snug up to the frame where the cylinder is mounted, but has to allow the cylinder to move.

What's the proper way to tighten this nut to get the slop out the level indicator rod holder part?
I'm guessing an impact. You put a wrench on it and the whole outfit turns.

I also wonder why & how the nut backed off.. ???

Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,245 Posts
If I recall, my 200CX loader level indicator is the same way. Do you have a photo of the bolt you think is loose?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll go snap one and will have to get it from my dumb phone to the compooter.

In the meantime, what bothers me is that rod got bent. When it cleared the "loop" it was heading for hydraulic lines on the loader arm. It could have been a disaster.
I took it apart and straightened it but afraid it may wind up doing the same thing til I get it buttoned up to cylinder.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The L bracket thickness will take up quite a bit of the threaded stud.
Wonder if someone could show a photo of another tractor to compare.
I just don't think that sucker should be rattling loosey goosey.

·
Premium Member
12,245 Posts
I went down to the garage and took a few photos of the level indicator on the 200CX as it is the same mechanism. As shown, my L-bracket is loose on the bolt even those the bolt appears to be tight.

Attachments

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you very much, your efforts are appreciated.
Now I need to find out the correct procedure for assembly, as in if it was all taken apart and put back together.

I'm at the lake with limited tools. Heading home tomorrow and may try to put an impact(low pressure) on it.
I'm guessing that stud is threaded to allow for the L bracket, and the nut will only thread on there so far.

Now, if it backed off once, why? It could be that stud failed and I'll have to replace the whole shootin match.

·
Premium Member
12,245 Posts
Thank you very much, your efforts are appreciated.
Now I need to find out the correct procedure for assembly, as in if it was all taken apart and put back together.

I'm at the lake with limited tools. Heading home tomorrow and may try to put an impact(low pressure) on it.
I'm guessing that stud is threaded to allow for the L bracket, and the nut will only thread on there so far.

Now, if it backed off once, why? It could be that stud failed and I'll have to replace the whole shootin match.
Maybe I misunderstood your original post. Why do you feel it needs tightened? Mine is loose also. Is your nut completely loose?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The rod that extends back and forth was bent.
I noticed a few days ago that when it would get to the point where the bend in the rod travels through the "loop" it would chatter like hell and act like it was out of alignment.

Today when loading on the trailer it got to the same point at the loop and the end was running into the loader arm. Had to stop, take it apart and found it was bent pretty good. What's really strange is that I believe the bent section was the end that lives in the sleeve, below the set screw.

Trying to figure out how it got bent in the first place. All I could think of is that nut don't seem to be snugged up correctly. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
The rod that extends back and forth was bent.
I noticed a few days ago that when it would get to the point where the bend in the rod travels through the "loop" it would chatter like hell and act like it was out of alignment.

Today when loading on the trailer it got to the same point at the loop and the end was running into the loader arm. Had to stop, take it apart and found it was bent pretty good. What's really strange is that I believe the bent section was the end that lives in the sleeve, below the set screw.

Trying to figure out how it got bent in the first place. All I could think of is that nut don't seem to be snugged up correctly. :dunno:
It looks pretty normal from the pics I have seen so far. It is supposed to be nice and loose.

Do you have a pic showing the whole rod so that we can see better what you are talking about?

·
Registered
172 Posts
My bolts looks the same as your on each side. Loosy goosy indicator also. I would think of you crammed the bucket with the curl function to lift the front of the tractor you may be able to tighten nut? But I believe it should be loose. If your like me you never did anything wrong but maybe neighbor kids got something tangled up in the rod at some point? :unknown:

·
Premium Member
12,245 Posts
Be aware, those flange nuts don't get tightened very tight. The 120R manual lists only 23.5 ft-lb.

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hey gang. I’m new. Just bought my 1025r yesterday and too wet to use today so I’m reading this and I too notice this loose rod. I just removed that 15/16 nut and it’s bushed with spacers/washers. It’s supposed to be that loose. It caught my attention when I bought the tractor yesterday but all good. Keep it loose.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all, and J, I appreciate the torque info, that tells me a lot.

I reckon there's a good chance the thing was bent when I bought it. Trying to think what I may have done to magnify the problem, and I can't come up with anything.
I haven't really used the tractor til last week, except for just familiarizing myself with it and adding a tooth bar and bucket hooks.
When I get it back home I'll be looking it all over much better, and see how that rod acts since I straightened it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It should be somewhat loose because it has to have some play. Mine rattles a bit but nothing to make me think it is a issue. I was cutting timber yesterday and loading the bucket with wood to dump at my wood dump site and the rod would wiggle when manipulating the bucket. In fact, just went outside to check the L-bracket and mine is fairly loose but not concerning as the bolt seems tights. I have a bit of wiggle in that L-bracket. I will check my ft/lb on the bolt but I dare say its normal.

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Bushing/spacer

Hey gang. I’m new. Just bought my 1025r yesterday and too wet to use today so I’m reading this and I too notice this loose rod. I just removed that 15/16 nut and it’s bushed with spacers/washers. It’s supposed to be that loose. It caught my attention when I bought the tractor yesterday but all good. Keep it loose.
It would be normal for an application like that to have a spacer so that the nut can be tightened to torque but the rod connection can still turn. I don't know specifically about your tractor but that would be a normal assembly method.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
12,245 Posts
It would be normal for an application like that to have a spacer so that the nut can be tightened to torque but the rod connection can still turn. I don't know specifically about your tractor but that would be a normal assembly method.

Treefarmer
There are three washers used on the side with the bucket level indicator. These appear to contact the pin shoulder and prevent the flange nut from tightening up on the bucket level indicator bracket.

Also, while looking at the parts list, I see JD has a different bucket level indicator they now use on cab tractors (see below).

Attachments

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It would be normal for an application like that to have a spacer so that the nut can be tightened to torque but the rod connection can still turn.

Treefarmer
That is exactly how I've seen other things done in the past.

There are three washers used on the side with the bucket level indicator. These appear to contact the pin shoulder and prevent the flange nut from tightening up on the bucket level indicator bracket.
I'll be looking for those washers. Thanks.

I did put a socket on it when I got home and there's no more moving that nut. It's in it's home.
The rod moves much better throughout the stroke since I straightened it.
I'll consider it good for now, but will still keep an eye on it.

Appreciate all y'alls input. :bigbeer:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also found those Flange Nuts to be very loose when I checked mine. I snugged the two back up to 23.5 ft lbs - doesn't seem like very much. I put a paint line on mine to keep an eye on them. Seems like this will be a constant battle.

tractor bucket.jpg

·
Registered
514 Posts
One time I noticed the level indicator rotated a little putting the bent top against something else (can't remember what). I stopped and grabbed the bent rod part and turned it back around. I was lucky and nothing got damaged, but it was close. You could see the bending stress on the level bar. I forgot about it until now. I should check it and retighten the adjusting bolt. I suspect this might be your basic issue, the rod getting out of whack and catching on something.

Personally I haven't found the level indicator all that useful and seldom pay it much attention. Not much level, or even flat, here anyway. I am dreaming about cameras fore and aft, and maybe a spirit level for the short term. No TUITS of any shape hanging around that I can find. It's frustrating to get so old so fast, but considering the alternative I guess I'll take it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts