Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have done all the greasing on the 120r loader and that’s all fine. This is my first tractor and I’m a bit torn. The bucket is supposed to be ground engaging and can’t really avoid getting scratched and beat up (back-dragging, gravel in the bucket, etc...) I’m worried about rust, etc... I have a can of JD green, I’m just wondering, how often do you perform touch-ups in the bucket, or should I just not worry about it?

I do wash the bucket regularly, especially if there’s mud. Any pointers?

Reactions: pcabe5 and JD4044M

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,103 Posts
So, I have done all the greasing on the 120r loader and that’s all fine. This is my first tractor and I’m a bit torn. The bucket is supposed to be ground engaging and can’t really avoid getting scratched and beat up (back-dragging, gravel in the bucket, etc...) I’m worried about rust, etc... I have a can of JD green, I’m just wondering, how often do you perform touch-ups in the bucket, or should I just not worry about it?

I do wash the bucket regularly, especially if there’s mud. Any pointers?
Give yourself some time. After a bit it won't bother you and you won't worry about it.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^what they said^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
In the fall when I'm done with it I clean it and touch up the spots.I mostly use a blower on my 345 so the chances of using it is slim and even if I do the snow won't bother the paint.

·
Registered
656 Posts
[
My '05 4720/loader was owned by the Ohio Dept. of Transportation before they traded it to the JD Equipment Dealer that I purchased it from. I suspect that it was used to move salt, given the rust on the bucket edge and loader arms. I've not attempted to touch it up and likely won't; So far the performance has been unaffected by the rust.

Brian

I haven't touched up the paint on mine at all. Just surface rust. Less rust the more often it's used. I wouldn't worry about it much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
If something is going to sit for a long time like my tiller, BH or bucket I spray it with Fluid Film. I spray what I can get at easily and just wipe the surface with a rag. Nothing fancy. I focus more on the tiller and BH, but the bucket gets a wipe down as well. I’m my case the Grapple is on 90% of the time.

·
Premium Member
13,847 Posts
Reactions: pcabe5 and Gizmo2

·
Registered
536 Posts
If the scratches and rust really bothers you

1: Buy a second new bucket and put it on your tractor

2: When you need to work put the old bucket on so that your new bucket can keep its shine

3: I use MaGuires to keep my new buckets shiny and dust free

Myself I like my buckets scratched and a little rusty . . . the scratches show the Minister of Finance that it was a good purchase and it is really useful . . . the rust shows that I am not always working (playing) with the tractor

Where is the Sarcastic Emoticon when I need it

Enjoy using your tractor :thumbup1gif: :thumbup1gif: :thumbup1gif:

Reactions: Toughsox and PJR832

·
Premium Member
13,068 Posts

2: When you need to work put the old bucket on so that your new bucket can keep its shine

Myself I like my buckets scratched and a little rusty . . . the scratches show the Minister of Finance that it was a good purchase and it is really useful . . . the rust shows that I am not always working (playing) with the tractor
On one of the forums I once saw photos of someone who had lined their bucket with carpeting because they were going to haul cinder blocks and didn't want to scratch the inside of the bucket.

Reactions: raco232

·
Premium Member
13,847 Posts
On one of the forums I once saw photos of someone who had lined their bucket with carpeting because they were going to haul cinder blocks and didn't want to scratch the inside of the bucket.
This has to be the saddest thing I've read in quite awhile. :lol:

Where is the Sarcastic Emoticon when I need it

Enjoy using your tractor :thumbup1gif: :thumbup1gif: :thumbup1gif:
This has to be the most philosophical post I've read in awhile. :good2:

Sarcasm emoji, closest thing I've found on here. :mocking:

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
I don't know the grade of steel used on buckets and other implements, but I'm guessing it is a higher carbon content steel that the rust is a non issue just like structural steel used in construction. When we build new buildings I never have the structural steel primed, it is a waste of money given the type of steel used. So the only reason I would be worried is the looks of the implement more than the structural integrity or performance.

I know in the first few months of owning my 2012 1026R I was fussing over every little scratch and ding, but now after almost 7 years it looks like a well used, and happy, tractor. :laugh::greentractorride:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts