Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a 1025R FILB. I have lots of brush, limbs and similar debris to clean up. What solutions have you guys found for this with the 4' bucket? Grapples? I'm not seeing any grapples for the H120 loader. How about tooth bars? What creative limb and brush clean up techniques have you guys come up with?

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I just installed a 48" Piranha toothbar this weekend. First thing I tried it on was my waiting to burn brush pile to fluff it up and get the leaves out of it. It IS NOT a grapple, but it really does a good job of keeping brush in front of the bucket and lifting it to stack. It stays in front far better when turning also.

My first experience doing brush like this was with a Johnny Bucket Jr./toothbar on my GX335. That little toothbar made a world of difference cleaning up after an ice storm!

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
I use forks for the main brush. I hope to buy a landscape rake with wheels for the smaller stuff. But the forks work great and then my pallet box is great for the smaller stuff.

IMG_3209.jpg

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yes get the 53" bucket, I did and I know I would not be happy with the 49", as far a forks?

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I use forks for the main brush. I hope to buy a landscape rake with wheels for the smaller stuff. But the forks work great and then my pallet box is great for the smaller stuff.

View attachment 26823
I guess it depends on the type of brush....I don't have brush like that

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,870 Posts
I guess it depends on the type of brush....I don't have brush like that
Good point psrumors, what Carvel Loafer shows in his picture is what I was thinking also.
For a lot of little stuff I've used our landscape rake along with the FEL but I have been known to hang a set of old tire chains across the fork tines which helps to stop the medium size stuff from falling through the forks and the chains act like a basket to some extent.
The stuff I can mow over and chop up is left for the mower.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I were to do it over, I'd get the 53" bucket.

As for forks, I haven't had much luck with them and brush.
Yes get the 53" bucket, I did and I know I would not be happy with the 49", as far a forks?

So you guys see that much difference in bucket width? Can you give some examples of what you mean? I was thinking the extra width could possibly be a disadvantage in close quarters. How much more does the 53" weigh?

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
So you guys see that much difference in bucket width? Can you give some examples of what you mean? I was thinking the extra width could possibly be a disadvantage in close quarters. How much more does the 53" weigh?
I was digging out a deck area for a friend of mine under a cantilevered roof. I was unable to get right next to the wall with the bucket in fear the BH outriggers would scrape the wall. With the 53"bucket I believe there would have been just enough extra width to get right up against the wall.

The 53" bucket weights 15lbs more than the 49" and holds 1.8 CU FT more

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/greentractortalk-technical-library/1345-how-much-stuff-does-my-bucket-hold.html

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,870 Posts
I was digging out a deck area for a friend of mine under a cantilevered roof. I was unable to get right next to the wall with the bucket in fear the BH outriggers would scrape the wall. With the 53"bucket I believe there would have been just enough extra width to get right up against the wall.
Same holds true with back dragging and leveling.
Bigger bucket holds more!:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just put a ratchet rake attachment on the front of my 49" bucket. Takes literally 5 minutes to install and remove.
Does an absolutely amazing job of ripping brush out of the ground and keeps it in front of the bucket while pushing it into a burn pile. You can also drag brush out backwards with the bottom-pointing teeth.
Check it out here:

Ratchet Rake, LLC - Rip and Dig, All Terrain Rake, Snow Edge, Tractor attachment, Bucket attachment, Loader, Skid loader, Kubota, Skid steer, Landscape rake, Brush remover, York Rake, Harley Rake, Rock Rake, Tractor rake attachment, Construction atta

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
My Artillian forks did an incredible job cleaning up a pine tree I had to cut down. It had that pine disease. Once I cut everything off the trunk I just pushed into the branches with my forks and lifted. The tree was 30' tall and I got it all in no time. Maybe 5-6 trips. I truely was blown away by how much the forks held with no rope or chain. I assumed it'd take a couple hours. I was done in 40 minutes. I bet it took longer to cut up than it did to clear it...

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,870 Posts
636mullet,
Just curious, Did you load the branches on to the forks by hand or carefully make a pile and then drive the forks into the pile to haul away?
I have always found you can take a lot more at one time once piled.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
All I did was drive into the pile from the "top" of the tree. Once I got a solid feel I curled back and lifted. I got a rather large stack each time. There was very little I had to hand stack. To be honest I wouldn't believe it if I heard me tell the story. Somehow everything just went SO smoothly.

If I would have known I would have had the GoPro. I just assumed it was going to take a couple hours. Had I shot a video I bet Artillian couldn't stock enough of his forks!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,870 Posts
All I did was drive into the pile from the "top" of the tree. Once I got a solid feel I curled back and lifted. I got a rather large stack each time. There was very little I had to hand stack. To be honest I wouldn't believe it if I heard me tell the story. Somehow everything just went SO smoothly.

If I would have known I would have had the GoPro. I just assumed it was going to take a couple hours. Had I shot a video I bet Artillian couldn't stock enough of his forks!

Can't beat tools and equipment that really work well.

Reactions: 636mullet

·
Registered
126 Posts

I have loaded around 30 pine trees into several 20 cu yard dumpsters this way... I have 1 more pile (15 smaller trees, left them whole) to place in the dumpster, once I get the tractor back from the dealer on the floppy bucket (dump then curl), and installing a new MMM.

I flat love my forks for being able to pick stuff up. Another good thing about the forks is building a small box on top of a pallet then putting any tools/etc in there and carrying them to the job, instead of having to carry them one by one. :)

Now, if they darn fire rack would be orderable!

Reactions: 636mullet

·
Registered
153 Posts
Bought my tractor, had lots of storm damage .
First thing I did was build forks for cleanup, tree limbs, and tops. Forks beat bucket everyday of the week.
As for 49" as opposed to 53 " bucket, I went 49" thinking tight quarters. Starting to rethink that decision, still not sure and I have no complaint as of yet but thinking I maybe should have gone for the 53", side wall scenario was a good example. I was thinking smaller, better, but maybe not in this case the extra reach off the side is probably more beneficial than the extra capacity.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts