Green Tractor Talk banner

Bucket or FEL attachment for cleaning up brush with 1025R

14K views 34 replies 20 participants last post by  Knuckles 
#1 ·
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a 1025R FILB. I have lots of brush, limbs and similar debris to clean up. What solutions have you guys found for this with the 4' bucket? Grapples? I'm not seeing any grapples for the H120 loader. How about tooth bars? What creative limb and brush clean up techniques have you guys come up with?

#2 ·
I just installed a 48" Piranha toothbar this weekend. First thing I tried it on was my waiting to burn brush pile to fluff it up and get the leaves out of it. It IS NOT a grapple, but it really does a good job of keeping brush in front of the bucket and lifting it to stack. It stays in front far better when turning also.

My first experience doing brush like this was with a Johnny Bucket Jr./toothbar on my GX335. That little toothbar made a world of difference cleaning up after an ice storm!

#10 ·
Yes get the 53" bucket, I did and I know I would not be happy with the 49", as far a forks?

So you guys see that much difference in bucket width? Can you give some examples of what you mean? I was thinking the extra width could possibly be a disadvantage in close quarters. How much more does the 53" weigh?

#6 ·
I use forks for the main brush. I hope to buy a landscape rake with wheels for the smaller stuff. But the forks work great and then my pallet box is great for the smaller stuff.

Vehicle Grass Tree Lawn Mower

#8 ·
I use forks for the main brush. I hope to buy a landscape rake with wheels for the smaller stuff. But the forks work great and then my pallet box is great for the smaller stuff.

View attachment 26823
I guess it depends on the type of brush....I don't have brush like that

#7 ·
Yes get the 53" bucket, I did and I know I would not be happy with the 49", as far a forks?

#13 ·
I just put a ratchet rake attachment on the front of my 49" bucket. Takes literally 5 minutes to install and remove.
Does an absolutely amazing job of ripping brush out of the ground and keeps it in front of the bucket while pushing it into a burn pile. You can also drag brush out backwards with the bottom-pointing teeth.
Check it out here:

Ratchet Rake, LLC - Rip and Dig, All Terrain Rake, Snow Edge, Tractor attachment, Bucket attachment, Loader, Skid loader, Kubota, Skid steer, Landscape rake, Brush remover, York Rake, Harley Rake, Rock Rake, Tractor rake attachment, Construction atta

#14 ·
My Artillian forks did an incredible job cleaning up a pine tree I had to cut down. It had that pine disease. Once I cut everything off the trunk I just pushed into the branches with my forks and lifted. The tree was 30' tall and I got it all in no time. Maybe 5-6 trips. I truely was blown away by how much the forks held with no rope or chain. I assumed it'd take a couple hours. I was done in 40 minutes. I bet it took longer to cut up than it did to clear it...

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

#16 ·
636mullet,
Just curious, Did you load the branches on to the forks by hand or carefully make a pile and then drive the forks into the pile to haul away?
I have always found you can take a lot more at one time once piled.

#17 · (Edited)
All I did was drive into the pile from the "top" of the tree. Once I got a solid feel I curled back and lifted. I got a rather large stack each time. There was very little I had to hand stack. To be honest I wouldn't believe it if I heard me tell the story. Somehow everything just went SO smoothly.

If I would have known I would have had the GoPro. I just assumed it was going to take a couple hours. Had I shot a video I bet Artillian couldn't stock enough of his forks!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

#20 ·
Bought my tractor, had lots of storm damage .
First thing I did was build forks for cleanup, tree limbs, and tops. Forks beat bucket everyday of the week.
As for 49" as opposed to 53 " bucket, I went 49" thinking tight quarters. Starting to rethink that decision, still not sure and I have no complaint as of yet but thinking I maybe should have gone for the 53", side wall scenario was a good example. I was thinking smaller, better, but maybe not in this case the extra reach off the side is probably more beneficial than the extra capacity.

#21 ·
The difference is so little between the two buckets, I'm not sure as to why there is two. I'd have the 53" everytime. 2" wider on each side isn't going to make a hill of beans difference either way, but I'd still have the bigger one. :laugh:

#23 ·
I know my 60 doesn't fit between the sides of my truck bed. One time I actually wished for a smaller bucket.

Jim

#24 ·
Seems like a dead thread but I'll put this idea out there for anyone who is on the fence and researching..
With the 49" bucket I can just barely lean far enough over in the seat to see the edge of the bucket. Being able to see the angle of the bucket was very helpful while trying to just scrap dirt up from using the backhoe to dig holes, without digging into the yard. Also, given how light the 1025s are.. the wider of bucket you have, the less digging power you have - and also the more expensive the tooth bar will be.

#25 ·
Personally, I went with the 49" bucket. My goal was to make the tractor narrow enough to fit through four foot gates. Granted 49" is bigger than four foot, but most gates will give enough play to make it work. The 53" would have been too big and if it were the only choice I would have gone to a larger size tractor and expanded my gates.

Reactions: Levi
#26 ·
For anything under a 6' fence, couldn't you just lift the bucket OVER the gate opening? The bucket is 53" wide, but the rest of the mechanism, etc. is the same between the (2).

#31 ·
This is just for my case. I didn't even think about the bucket size on either of my last 2 tractors. If I would have I'd probably have gone with the bigger the first time and wouldn't be in the shape I'm in now. I'm glad I got the 49 because I lift heavy stuff, rocks. Filling a 53 would have got me in so much trouble. The 49 gets me in enough trouble, I don't need a bigger bucket. Going down my steep hills with a bucket full of rocks and ballast on the back, you have a lot of weight going downhill and nothing but a 4WD tractor to try and stop it. So my ballast on the back is a box blade and if that's not enough I put less rocks in it. If it should want to run away going down I just drop the BB and use it for my brakes. If I was on flat land I'd go with the bigger bucket.

Reactions: BigJim55 and Gizmo2
#32 ·
Ordered new 1025R with H120 FEL, 54" mmm with quick attach and leaf bagger/blower.

Thank you for this post and thread. I have just ordered a new 1025r and will trade in my 2013 x739 with several attachments. We have 4.5 acres of heavy woods with a lot of brush and dead trees. It is hilly in certain areas and flat in others but there is a lot of brush to be cleaned. Then there is the gravel driveway that is about 500 feet long with a large circular area by the garage.

The Ratchet Rake seems to be the perfect complement to help me clear the woods as well as level out the driveway.

Thank you so much for this post. I am glad I found this forum and will look to see what other gems are here.:greentractorride::thumbup1gif:

#33 ·
Piranha and grapple

Thank you for this post and thread. I have just ordered a new 1025r and will trade in my 2013 x739 with several attachments. We have 4.5 acres of heavy woods with a lot of brush and dead trees. It is hilly in certain areas and flat in others but there is a lot of brush to be cleaned. Then there is the gravel driveway that is about 500 feet long with a large circular area by the garage.

The Ratchet Rake seems to be the perfect complement to help me clear the woods as well as level out the driveway.

Thank you so much for this post. I am glad I found this forum and will look to see what other gems are here.:greentractorride::thumbup1gif:
I have a bucket with a Piranha bar and a grapple. The bucket works well to scrape and cut brush and small trees which I can just push into a pile. If I need to move them, the grapple is really handy. I would guess a Ratchet Rake would work as well but since I don't have one, that's only speculation.

I've mentioned elsewhere that I'm really pleased with the ability of using the Piranha bar to push over trees and then dig into the trunk and push along the ground. That usually takes out the roots without digging a large ball of dirt.

Treefarmer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.