Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good evening gents (and ladies, as it may apply),
Greenhorn checking in with what is hopefully a "noob" question.

Last year I picked up a nice 855 for general mowing/cutting duty. A couple weeks ago I managed to score a 70A FEL off of craigslist, and as one would expect, it had a few flaws. One of them being that the previous owner had used tire irons, and various other steel rods to connect the bucket to the lifting arms and cylinders.

I tracked down the schematic for it...

and part numbers for the proper pins (parts 3, 4 &5) and ordered the following:
(4) M115858 John Deere Pin Fastener - M115858
(4) M804019 John Deere PIN FASTENER M804019
(4) 11M7081 John Deere 2.5X20 COTTER - 11M7081

The first part is the "heavy" pin which carries the load. It is cylindrical, has a chamfer on one end, and a hole drilled radially on the other end. The second part is a smaller pin which fits into the hole in the "heavy" pin. This pin has a head (similar to a nail) and a small hole for a cotter pin on the other end. The third part is the cotter pin which holds the 2nd pin in place on the heavy pin.

Here's what they look like, pretty much just like what is shown in the schematic.

What I don't understand is what is supposed to keep the pins from sliding out the other end of the mounting holes?
If you're not familiar with the mounting arrangement on the 70A, it is shown above... there are two upper mounting points to which the hydraulic cylinders connect, and two lower mounting points to which the lift arms connect. Each mounting point is basically identical in form/function. There are two reinforced 'ears' on bucket, and the arms/cylinder have tubes that fit between the ears (like meat in a sandwich... is it dinner time?) and the pin slides through holding it together.

Thanks for any insight you can offer!

PS: I'm not entirely sure this is a stock bucket on the 70A I purchased, so that *might* be a factor. Can anyone post a picture of a factory JD 70A bucket, specifically the mounting points?

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I can take pics to get when I get home if mine for you if you don’t have it figured it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
No. Not flying today. Although we do have a very capable autopilot. But no cell service above 6000’ or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: flyweight

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Looks like there may be a BOSS on the pin mount, with hole in it to fit pin #5 into?

View attachment 410138

View attachment 410146
I think you may be onto something here. I'll have to give a closer look to the mounting boss/flange to see if there's a hole there for the retaining pin.

They appear to use that design on other mounting points on their FELs, see "13" on the right side of the schematic below (along with parts 4, 5 & 11B)

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
Very Unpredictable Disposition
14,301 Posts
I think you may be onto something here. I'll have to give a closer look to the mounting boss/flange to see if there's a hole there for the retaining pin.

They appear to use that design on other mounting points on their FELs, see "13" on the right side of the schematic below (along with parts 4, 5 & 11B)
On some models, the boss/flange is on the outside; and is easy to see. Other models are installed on the inside. :dunno: I don't understand why manufacturers don't standardize things.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Alas, no boss with holes for retaining pins. Guess this isn't a factory bucket, and I'll need to see if tractor supply has any suitable hitch pins that can be substituted.

The first photo is the outboard side, the second photo is the inboard side from above, and the third photo is what the other "elbow pins" look like on the 70A. They have a small L shaped rod welded to the end of the pin that locks into a slot in the arm, and a cotter pin on the opposite end.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Tractor Supply comes through again, and at a significantly lower cost to boot. These are just about perfect, and handy too.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...tch-pin-4-1-4-in-usable-pin-length-s071031cts

And a few other options that were available to me:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...ch-pin-4-1-4-in-usable-pin-length-s071031wcts
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...n-grade-5-4-in-usable-pin-length-026904499--1
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...k-hitch-pin-4-in-usable-pin-length-s071031tsc

Can anyone use the following parts? :laugh:
(4) M115858 John Deere Pin Fastener - M115858 (This pin is ~.75" diameter, and 4" usable length)
(4) M804019 John Deere PIN FASTENER M804019
(4) 11M7081 John Deere 2.5X20 COTTER - 11M7081

1 - 9 of 9 Posts