Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorta, umm, deformed my bucket trying to lift an apparently too large tree...with my clamp on forks.

Oops

So bought a couple of 6"x6" x3/16" steel plate off ebay for 5$ and welded them on!

Attachments

·
Registered
12,301 Posts
:nunu: I -yi-yi---i guess u threw them clamp on forks away for now-behind some shed-so u wouldn't have to look at them-right:dunno:

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:nunu: I -yi-yi---i guess u threw them clamp on forks away for now-behind some shed-so u wouldn't have to look at them-right:dunno:
Lol, no I'm good to go now until something else breaks!

Worked on the section gang for the Erie-Lackawanna Railroad back in the early 70's during college break. The welder was always around building up backhoe and loader buckets. He would spend 8 hrs making criss cross welds with the 220arc welder. Railroads were all bankrupt then and couldn't afford any replacement parts...

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
....Railroads were all bankrupt then and couldn't afford any replacement parts...
Are they better off now? :hide:

·
Premium Member
12,194 Posts
Worked on the section gang for the Erie-Lackawanna Railroad back in the early 70's during college break. The welder was always around building up backhoe and loader buckets. He would spend 8 hrs making criss cross welds with the 220arc welder. Railroads were all bankrupt then and couldn't afford any replacement parts...
It sounds like he was hard-facing the buckets. That is still a common practice today.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Hard facing makes a big difference on how long the bottom of the bucket lasts. Backdragging lots of gravel makes the bottoms wear thin fast. I wouldn't mind doing that to my bucket. Keep the weight down but make it last a lot longer. The piranha cutting edge is coming soon. I have waited to long to get one.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It sounds like he was hard-facing the buckets. That is still a common practice today.
Yes he was, after he would repair the broken edges with whatever scrap metal he could find layin around :laugh:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts