Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For digging little more lift ability and fitting into the bed of my truck easier i have been thinking of wanting a 53" bucket instead of the 61"hd bucket i have. If i am able to trade it for a 53" straight up what do you guys think? Go for it or no? The only big plus i can think of having a bigger bucket so far has been snow removal.

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Wide as the wheel tracks

On larger machines, I would say the bucket needs to be as wide as the wheel tracks. Years ago we had a smaller bucket that didn't cover the wheel tracks and it was a PIA when digging, particularly if we were just trying to take 3-4" off the top. You could only go forward a few feet and then the front wheel would run up on undisturbed soil and then you loose the grade.

With these smaller machines, I'm not sure that's such an issue. If you are just loading (digging) from a pile of dirt or rock, you are going to fill the bucket before the front wheels get there anyway. It might be an issue if you are using the loader with a Piranha bar to move brush as there will always be those few inches uncut on the sides.

Like many other things, I think it comes down to your primary uses.

Treefarmer

Reactions: aaronmach1

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,123 Posts
Keep the 61" IMO.
Note: Back dragging dirt.

Reactions: aaronmach1

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,123 Posts
That is a good point. Thanks!
I worked a good part of yesterday on a neighbor's driveway moving crusher run and back dragging, there is NO way I would want a 53".

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Hiya,

I've had both a 61 and a 53 on a 2000 series with an 200cx/h130.

The 61 is best for snow, leveling, working with light to medium weight material.

The 53 is best for scraping, digging, working with heavy or wet material

I found on sloped land the 61 tended to make the tractor feel a bit more tippy as the load has a bit more leverage over the chassis.

·
Registered
126 Posts
First off you mention your present bucket is HD..........is the new bucket ALSO...HD. A world of difference in construction of buckets. Bend the standard bucket just looking at it. Keep the larger bucket and get another one,,,,,,,,,,,never enough attachments......

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
First off you mention your present bucket is HD..........is the new bucket ALSO...HD. A world of difference in construction of buckets. Bend the standard bucket just looking at it. Keep the larger bucket and get another one,,,,,,,,,,,never enough attachments......
Oooops, missed that the 61 you have is HD, now I know why you want a smaller one, it's heavy. THe 200cx/h130 don't have enough power to damage a standard bucket unless it's improperly used so to be able to lift more material in the bucket, stick to the standard duty buckets for your chassis/loader.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
all good points guys. I guess im leaning towards keeping this 61 hd then and maybe if i buy a 53" tooth bar for my dads bucket he might let me borrow it for digging. Just was afraid of borrowing one of the lighter duty buckets and bending it up or denting etc.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
I have a 53" bucket with tooth bar on my 2520 and I find it the perfect size for digging. That's what a bucket is for, isn't it?

But with that said I do wish for a 61" bucket at times since I use my loader for snow removal on my 800'+ driveway. Even though it would help a little, I don't see that it would make that much of a difference. I would never trade my 53" for a 61" but would entertain having both if I could find a 61" for a bargain.

I am really surprised when I see all the people getting the 61" bucket especially on the 1 series - bigger is not always better......

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,123 Posts
I have a 53" bucket with tooth bar on my 2520 and I find it the perfect size for digging. That's what a bucket is for, isn't it?

But with that said I do wish for a 61" bucket at times since I use my loader for snow removal on my 800'+ driveway. Even though it would help a little, I don't see that it would make that much of a difference. I would never trade my 53" for a 61" but would entertain having both if I could find a 61" for a bargain.

I am really surprised when I see all the people getting the 61" bucket especially on the 1 series - bigger is not always better......
Backhoe.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Keep the 61 and get a tooth bar, I am always wishing my 61 held more material and the tooth bar will give you better digging than the smaller bucket.

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Ballast

I just had a chance to use my 790 and 300 loader with 61" bucket to dig some dirt/sand to fill some holes. The sand was wet, like everything around here and a full bucket was all the tractor needed. I was very careful about the bucket height but had to lift to dump into a trailer. I was also careful to try and get an even load in the bucket rather than all on one side.

If you are moving heavy materials, I agree the larger bucket requires more attention to ballast, keeping the load low etc. I have no doubt I could have flipped my 790 if the bucket was high and the rear wheels were on a slope. A smaller tractor would be even more touchy.

Treefarmer

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
334 Posts
On my 2320 I traded my slightly used 61" standard bucket and $500 cash for a new 53". For manoverability, digging power and side hill safety. Buckets are spendy from Deere $800 for the 53. I will add a toothbar to the 53 once I recoup funds.

In an ideal world would have been nice to keep the 61 too but currently don't have the space or purpose for both.

Reactions: Gizmo2 and BigJim55

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On my 2320 I traded my slightly used 61" standard bucket and $500 cash for a new 53". For manoverability, digging power and side hill safety. Buckets are spendy from Deere $800 for the 53. I will add a toothbar to the 53 once I recoup funds.

In an ideal world would have been nice to keep the 61 too but currently don't have the space or purpose for both.
U found a good deal! Im going to keep my 61 for now.

Reactions: Gizmo2 and BigJim55
1 - 16 of 16 Posts