Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my buddy just moved back home to the Mitten from Texas. He bought a house with .7 acres and need a a lawn mower. His budget is ~$1500 and he wants a John Deere. He wants hydrostat for sure. What should he look at that is not a Home Depot/Lowes junk unit?

New or used, doesn't matter... obviously used is a better option...

Any input is great, thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Goodworkstractors.com has a JD 345 with a bagger and blade for $1799.

It's on craigslist in Kalamazoo but not on his web site.

Nice looking tractor.

There's also a 245 in Bay City for $1600.

Definitely Craigslist is a good place to look.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
New wise he is looking at the D series. He might be able to get a deal since its winter and the E series is coming out.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I thought the d series was the box store line??

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Yes it is but they sell them at dealers too.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Was just pointing out that new wise $1,500 will only get him a bottom of the line 100 series. So he is probably looking at the used market.

However the 100 series is still made by John Deere. Not some unit that is sold under 3-5 different brands.

If he is just looking to cut grass a 100 series should be able to handle it. Also depends on the type of lot. If he has a lot of hills a tractor with a diff lock will work much better. Hills and pushing snow are hard on the transmission. Towing heavy loads don't help either. I would definitely stay away from the ones with the plastic transmission cases.

I was looking at the D160 before I found my X540. I would recommend either a D160 or D170. The only difference is the size of the deck. 48" vs 54"

The S240 model was another I was looking at. This is the cheapest lawn tractor that is only sold at JD dealerships. It shares some features and parts with the D3xx models. Like the engine and transmission. I also just recently seen you can get it with either a 42" or 48" deck. Previously it was only the 42".

·
Premium Member
12,262 Posts
Yes it is but they sell them at dealers too.
Right.. in fact at most big box locations they have a local JD dealer do the assembly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts