Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 870 with good paint its just dull has anyone had good luck buffing out dull paint on these later years of tractors built in the 80s
If so what did you use ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I used some Turtle wax Color Back on my '72 Ford hood and smooth sheet metal. I would think most car cleaner waxes would work. But if the paint is really oxidized and dried out its harder to do and might want to look over at a detailing forum for better techniques and products.

I haven't found a product for the rougher casting areas of engine, transmission, rear end, and axle housings. I don't think there is an easy way. I have used boat non skid deck cleaner and soft brush with a little success to shine a bit and help repel dust and grass chafe.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,106 Posts
Could try some kerosene mixed with water. I'd go more kerosene than water.
I would even give WD-40 a try.

·
Registered
892 Posts
What about for the green plastics. What to use on that?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Zaino polishing products. They've got compounds for just about any surface and they work terrific.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I have experience with Zaino Bros. They are a tad pricey but you do get an awesome finish.

Once turned a black car with a terrible milky oxidized and scratched up finish to showroom shine. It took me a couple days worth of polishing but it looked new when I was done. I think prev owner polished it with steel wool due to all the swirl marks. Was able to buff them all out with Zaino. :)

Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts