Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Initial thought was Oster with (3) 2-1/2 qt trays. See a number of Amazon reviews saying no power switch, thin pans & food only stays luke warm. Anyone using this or another where you can keep hot food (like potatoes & stuffing) hot?

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Crock pots are so cheap, and available in so many sizes,, that may be the answer.
Typically, you get 3 temp settings on the cheap ones,,, :bigthumb:

NOTHING is better than grape jelly/chili sauce meatballs in a crock pot!! :good2:

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crock pots are so cheap, and available in so many sizes,, that may be the answer.
Typically, you get 3 temp settings on the cheap ones,,, :bigthumb:

NOTHING is better than grape jelly/chili sauce meatballs in a crock pot!! :good2:
Foresee using 6 pans/dishes. Was hoping to avoid a "herd" of crock pots and all the cords, but definitely worth considering.

Not a grape jelly fan, so I think that NOTHING really would be better.:lol::lol:

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
I have three crock pots with insulated carry bags for them. I alos use a rival roaster with foil lining and water under the foil. Keep meats moist and warm. we did mom's 80th birthday and the setup worked well.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Nobody uses Sterno anymore....?
The last half dozen times I saw Sterno used,,, it burned the food,,, :dunno:

I think they make the stainless trays too thin,, the Sterno worked great on the thicker trays.

You could always squeeze the Sterno through a loaf of bread,, then drink it!! :good2:

:lolol:

BOY, the things I remember from Pittsburgh,,,
stories,, NOT doing it!! :flag_of_truce:

·
Administrator
17,259 Posts

·
Administrator
17,259 Posts
The last half dozen times I saw Sterno used,,, it burned the food,,, :dunno:
Sounds like improper use to me...you fill the pan with water, than place the food above the water in it's own pan to keep hot. No way could I see food burning since there is no direct contact.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I'm with the crowd suggesting Sterno and the metal pans. And yes, the pan gets water in it and your food goes in another tray that rests above the water. Food will not burn this way, and it's what every professional catering job I've ever seen does.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't want open flame-type of warmers. Mostly a safety consideration.

Diane, this is what we have. It works great and have had no problems.

Nescote Buffet Kit
I bought an Oster roasting pan this year & it has a buffet pan setup available. But the reviews suggest the pans are much smaller than yours. :dunno: Will probably end up using that for holding the uncarved meat though.

I bought a smallish triple slow cooker before Thanksgiving with individual temp controls that I've still got to test. Maybe a larger version of same would work. The idea of keeping 2nd buffet-type pans of food in oven at "safe" warm temp and just having to swap pans when buffet empty seems appealing. The Oster unit that I was looking at seems to be a seasonal thing & is already OOS at Oster & Target. So urgency of decision not a factor now. Just need to plan for enough power in case I end up with the "herd". :laugh:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Sounds like improper use to me...you fill the pan with water, than place the food above the water in it's own pan to keep hot. No way could I see food burning since there is no direct contact.
I have used this method and it has worked just fine for me as well. Since she does not want an open flame, you might try and place the larger pan with water on a griddle and then place the food above it like Kenny describes. I have used a griddle as a warming tray recently and it worked just fine. you can regulate the temp as well. There is no need to bring the water to a boil, just get it steaming. I think 150-160 should do it.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Was over at a restaurant supply yesterday for a couple more banquet chairs & saw an induction warmer. Too pricy for me, but interesting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts