Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm getting in the Spring mode and was thinking about a trailer for my 1025R (FEL and iMatchwith Ballest box being the longest load). I have all the required equipment to build a trailer (except a flat floor, but thats another issue) and comparing the current Buy prices and the estimated build costs (no fun factor added in) I'm not seeing a big differential. 7,000 lb with double axles with brakes on one set, radial tires and diamond plate top (pricey stuff) removable fenders and dove tail with ramps, LED lights.

Who in the GTT world has built and wished they would have purchased? Or comments in general....

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,103 Posts
I've built a few smaller trailers for road use and have helped my father build some pretty big trailers many years ago.
Back then it was by far cheaper to build than buy, if you could find one. Not so today, IMO.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Well I'm getting in the Spring mode and was thinking about a trailer for my 1025R (FEL and iMatchwith Ballest box being the longest load). I have all the required equipment to build a trailer (except a flat floor, but thats another issue) and comparing the current Buy prices and the estimated build costs (no fun factor added in) I'm not seeing a big differential. 7,000 lb with double axles with brakes on one set, radial tires and diamond plate top (pricey stuff) removable fenders and dove tail with ramps, LED lights.

Who in the GTT world has built and wished they would have purchased? Or comments in general....
I bought an Appalachain trailer:

Appalachian Trailers Utility, Dump, Gooseneck, Equipment, & Car Trailers

I bought the 18' dove tail dual axle 7500lb trailer for just shy of $2400.00. They will even customize it for you, I wanted to be able to hide my ramps under the trailer and wanted heavy duty fenders, they did this at no charge. You cannot hardly buy the axles for that price. These frames are heavy duty channel, they are not you average tractor supply trailer. By the the time you get your labor and parts in it, you will have much more than that in it. Just my $.02

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Buy. I've priced this out a few times and unless you're dealing with a large trailer it's very difficult to save any money building your own anymore. Builders can buy their material in bulk and get prices that you and I can't on everything from axles to raw steel.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I think the law requires brakes on both axles.

Sent from my Samsung Note

·
Premium Member
14,124 Posts
IMO Buy

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the feedback. Was leaning to buy, but the DIY in me was saying to build. Looks like buy is trending.

Brakes are only required on one axle for under 10k and both for over per the DOT agent I talked too. I believe I might have known more then the gent I was asking questions too, but it is a very vaguely written State law for non-commercial types. What gets really interesting is tie down methods, but that can be beat to death in another posting.

Have fun and be safe

·
Premium Member
2,046 Posts

Depends on the State. In PA, you must have brakes on all axles. You also must get a trailer, that is over 3000 GVW, state inspected annually in PA. PA is a great place to live if you like regulations!!! :laugh:

·
Administrator
17,298 Posts
Another thing to consider is registration, what hoops do you have to jump through to get a title and tags on a "home built" trailer in your state?

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Why such a big trailer for that tractor?
Why not a dump trailer,,,?
My dump trailer gets 3X the use any flat trailer would.

I could haul that tractor in my 10' dump,,,

·
Old Pa-pa
11,419 Posts
Like others have said, when you start pricing out "new" iron to build something now days it's :banghead:

It's like when I bought my dirt scoop for the tractor, building it, which I nearly did, I like doing stuff like that too, would have cost $250 counting paint, I bought a brand spanking new one for $300.

It just didn't make sense to build.

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
my son is building a dump trailer 6 by 10 footer. i told him in the beginning it would probably be cheaper to just go buy one. but he has made several flat bed trailers from old camping trailers, but even with them frames he ahd to box the frames as they had open frame rails(guess i'm saying that right)

i bought into his build when his lift cylinder and frame work wasn't the right size. right now it's sitting outside for the steel to rust good, before it gets sand blasted at his work, still debating whether it gets painted at his work or not. and when everything is done, still gonna need a title for it too. which he claims isn't that bad of a deal. but it still costs :gizmo:to get that that.

IMO-i would shop for a new one-just my 2 cts-but u can order little peices u want added to it-and steel is rising in price every day as we speak. and yeah-we are going with brakes on both axles, but the camper axle's only had brakes on one axle from the factory back then. IMO-BUY-way cheaper in the long run. good luck.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I'd definitely put brakes on both axles!

Depends on the State. In PA, you must have brakes on all axles. You also must get a trailer, that is over 3000 GVW, state inspected annually in PA. PA is a great place to live if you like regulations!!! :laugh:

Whether the law requires brakes on both axles in your particular state or not.. Why would you NOT spend the extra $100 for brakes on the second axle? You'll get better, stronger, smoother braking overall; better control of the trailer; longer wear out of the brakes...

As far as build versus buy - with the investments being as close as they are nowadays, I wouldn't waste the time building. Plus, there are zero headaches with titling, registration, and insurance. Build your own trailer and have an at-fault accident and you'll be jumping through hoops to prove the integrity of your trailer.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I ended up buying a Kaufman trailer. Their price was the best I could find for all the options I chose. It has radial tires, leds, sealed wiring harness, I added a spare tire and holder, and ramps instead of a gate. They were close to $800 cheaper than anyone close by and they delivered it to my boss' shop.

I would check them out if you get a chance.

Adam

·
Premium Member
2,046 Posts
Why such a big trailer for that tractor?
Why not a dump trailer,,,?
My dump trailer gets 3X the use any flat trailer would.

I could haul that tractor in my 10' dump,,,
I have a 14' flat deck trailer currently. If I buy a new one, I will get an 18' long trailer with a beaver tail rear end. If haul my 1025R with the BH and FEL attached, I have to haul it with the FEL raised up over the rear ramp gate. These tractors are longer than you think when you start hanging things on the 3 point and have the FEL attached.
With the ballast box attached to the 3 point and the FEL attached, the tractor is as long as they are with the BH attached.
I would agree with you that a dump trailer is a very useful trailer but they are not the best for hauling a tractor. To high and not long enough, not to mention getting a 1025R with the rear ballast box hanging on the 3 point and the FEL attached isn't happening on a 10' long trailer. At least not safely!! Just saying!

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
I'm fortunate to have a quality local trailer company near me, they've built three trailers for me. First was my 20+ year old 16' that I bought to haul a 1958 JD 520, 82" between the fenders. HPIM3291.jpg It started out with 3500# axles & slide-in ramps, after bringing Dad's JD 720D home, I took it back for 6000# axles: GARDEN TRACTORS 043.jpg After cancer treatments, the ramps got too heavy to handle, so I took it back for a 5' ramp-gate. About 1-1/2 years ago, it went back again for a 2' dovetail & cut the ramp-gate down accordingly: Pictures 2015 001 (9) - Copy.jpg The fold-down "loading legs" (circled in the last picture) were original equipment on this trailer & something to not be without!

The same company (Woodworth Mfg, Chillicothe, MO) built my 10' trailer: HPIM1211.jpg And a pontoon trailer that I no longer own: Picture 016a.jpg

·
Registered
927 Posts
I'm fortunate to have a quality local trailer company near me, they've built three trailers for me. First was my 20+ year old 16' that I bought to haul a 1958 JD 520, 82" between the fenders. View attachment 307401
I see that your dal is watering the tire. :good2:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Tie Down For the Attachment

grnspot110: If you are about to haul your Tractor in the photos per the Fed Regs I think you will find you need to tie down the Pallet attachment as you will all attachments! I think it would be a good idea to read the Fed DOT tie down requirements as that may save you next time you go through the scales or DOT pulls you over. BTW, nice Rig!
Leo

1 - 20 of 29 Posts