Green Tractor Talk banner

Build Your Own 2" X 72" Belt Grinder

5K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  TractorDude 
#1 ·
I have wanted a 2" X 72" belt grinder for years, but didn't want to spend several thousand to buy one. I found a set of plans for a design that I really like (and didn't require machine tools like a mill and lathe to build), and it was time to build one!

I TIG welded everything, but the designer of the unit provides a video showing him building it all with a MIG welder.

Automotive tire Bumper Wood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Here is the finished main unit before painting.

Automotive tire Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

And some pictures after painting with light machine gray paint.

Automotive exterior Gas Automotive design Automotive wheel system Auto part

Automotive lighting Toy Bumper Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

It is a tilting belt grinder, and it is sometimes handy to rotate it and use it in a horizontal mode.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle

I built several options for it, and here is the large wheel option (using an 8" wheel instead of the flat platen). It just takes seconds to switch between the two platens.

Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Gas Rolling

I also built the tilting table option which makes it easier to grind up to 45 deg angles.
Gas Composite material Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part

I am currently using 50 grit ceramic belts that cost about $9 each and last a long time. One of the first things I did with it was grind the radiused corners on this 3/8" steel mirror mount for my 17 yr old 4610. I used golf cart mirrors that cost $9.99 per pair.

Hood Automotive mirror Automotive lighting Rectangle Bumper

Green Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive tire

Vehicle Green Motor vehicle Tree Agricultural machinery

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
I spent close to $1K with all the accessories, but I went top shelf on the motor controller. The one I used cost $372, but you can get simpler ones for under $100.

The motor I used is a 1.5 h.p. 3 phase, 230 Vac motor. Don't let the 3 phase part of this scare you since the variable frequency drive motor controller will take care of the single phase to 3 phase conversion.

Product Camera accessory Cylinder Gas Electric blue

The lower cost motor controllers will drive this motor off of single phase 230 Vac, and this works just fine. The KBAC 27D variable speed motor controller that I am using will drive this motor off of either single phase 115 Vac or single phase 220 Vac. It also has a speed doubler capability that lets me run the belt from zero to 4400 sfpm, which is really nice. You can get real aggressive with the grinding when you need to.

Unlike the lower cost motor controllers, this unit is also hermetically sealed, and keeps the grinding dust out.

Camera lens Flash photography Camera accessory Gadget Digital camera

One of my future projects is to build a stand for the belt grinder and motor controller. It is nice to have the variable speed knob close to where you are working.

#9 ·
Nice JOB

Reactions: tj1
#11 ·
Another addition I made not shown in the photos is a second drive pulley. I had machined a 4 inch drive pulley but for nonferrous materials and wood I wanted a faster belt speed. I machined a 6” pulley and use that most of the time unless I have a lot of steel to grind.

#12 ·
what controls the tracking of the belt? Now I feel like my commercial belt sander I've had since 1974 is junk! :ROFLMAO:

#14 ·
I had wondered what all the talk was with these 2x72 belt sanders. I purchased the plans the OP has and just figured the build was more than I wanted to deal with. I purchased the frame from OBM , got a 1hp 3 phase Baldor from Ebay and the same controller the OP is using. Had some 1/2 AL plate for the base.

Put on the 40 grit belt and watch this thing EAT metal!!! I have had 1 1/2" thick steel and round corners and shape it like nothing I have even done before! Belt changes in seconds, get a metal conditioning belt also, it looks like a scotch bright pad. Had an late 70's Rockwell/Delta 6x48 belt sander, sold that off!

If you weld, grind and fab at home you really need a sander like this, true game changer for the shop. I also have a tilt work platen and the small wheel adapter.

Kevin

Wood Plant Curtain Floor Tool

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.