Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search here for information, but did not find anything.

I need to build a drive to my pole barn.
Traffic wise, there will not be any heavy truck traffic.
I am guessing that 10,000 would be the max weight.

What is a good width?
How deep should the base be?
What material for the base?

·
Registered
172 Posts
driveway

What is a good width?

Just like the building...don't cut yourself short. I'd say 6' minimum. You want to leave room for walking around a truck and leaving enough support/etc.

How deep should the base be?
When we did our drive, we used these softball sized things (I forget the #) We had dug down about 12" for the base and the topping. I'd go no less than 12". Every couple of years we have to add some topping...as it seems to sink in....oh where does it go lol.

What material for the base?
If you have a few corrupt politicians around...this is a good use for them.....j/k

·
Premium Member
7,721 Posts
I'd go 10' wide at a minimum.

As for material; I like crushed recycled concrete road base as it's cheap and works great. However; I have no idea what's near you.

As for depth, once again I have no idea what you soil conditions are like. If your soil is soft; then compact the crap out of it, fill, compact until you get a good base. I was considering a geotextile fabric under the driveway; but decided against it as I left the existing crushed asphalt driveway in place.

I have our driveway around 4" deep.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110106108324823291002/Driveway#

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
For me I stripped the top soil off which went down 19" when I hit clay. I used pit run, sand and bigger rock, as the base then topped with gravel. About 12" of pit run and 7" of gravel and it will compact over the years so you'll have to add some more gravel or top coat as time goes by. I would recommend 8-12 foot in width.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Like said.... Ask your county road engineers for a recommendation......
In this area 1/4 mile down the road will make a difference in the preparation and lay up of a road surface...

Biggest thing I have learned is sub base under the road is key to good results and life of a road surface... Again, seek good advise to get best results....

Sounds like, in your favor, this is a lane from one building to another, personal use kind of thing... So preparation and cost may be minimal for the kind of use you will need...

Good luck...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts