Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a creek running through my property, that I cannot build an actual bridge, to get across. The property is divided in length, by the creek.
The front half where the house, garage, and other out-buildings are, is 20+ feet, above the back half, so, building a true bridge, is not going to happen.
There is one area I can build a temporary (removable during winter due to the immense flow and rise) bridge, where there is a gravel bar, and this can only happen during the drier/ summer months.

I've been on the search for the right materials, to build something that will carry the load of my x739. The bridge is going to be as light-weight as possible, so my x739 can place and remove it when necessary. So, Aluminum it is. I searched and scoured Craigslist and Offer-Up, since getting my GT, for the pieces I need, and most everything GOOD for my intended use, has been WAY too far away. Because of that, I have taken another approach.

I need 13ft in total length, to get to the gravel bar. The approach side, is 2-1/2 feet higher than the gravel bar.
Because I've had such a difficult time finding what I wanted, I decided to buy a pair of YuTrax TX138 - Aluminum Ramps, and add length to them, with Aluminum, 2x4 Structural Beams, rated at 2300# load.

I'm currently in waiting for their arrival.
Once here, I'll have a better idea of what I need, to tie the beams I have into them.
My goal, is to NOT drill into anything to bolt things together. If I can, large (square) U-Bolts will be used, to tie the beams deep into the length of the ramps for strength.
Once that addition is in place, I'll tie the two ramps together, spaced apart at 52", and add wheel curbs for length, then I'll add additional aluminum expanded material to the beams for traction.
I might also, add skid runners for full length, if necessary.
I plan to have wheels on the gravel bar end of the bridge. Then I can get the bridge to and from the creek easier.

That's my Redneck Engineering project.
More to come, as I get things rounded up, with a solid plan.

Reactions: Kbar

·
Registered
209 Posts
We've a drive over fill area of a little stream. Has 5 or 6 PVC pipes underneath it. One or 2 pipes will carry normal flow. Floods just overflow. Had no problems until our very wet 2018. Wife kept having to go down there and clear silt from the front of the PVC pipes. So, I started looking to build an alernative bridge. Need about 12 ft. Friends at church with bigger tractors have built tractor crossing bridges with 4 railroad ties, approximately 12 ft.

I was thinking of getting a boom pole for the 3ph to lever the railroad ties across the stream. In building a people bridge with smaller beams, I just raised them by hand and dropped them across. Railroad ties are much heavier.

Dropped the project because our present crossing has been fine for the last 2 years since.

A boom pole might assist in moving your bridge you envision.

Ralph

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
This might differ by state and such but are there legal concerns to something like this. A lot of places are picky with wetlands and all but is a stream considered that?

A buddy has 20 acres and 4 where the house and everything are are on one side and the rest is hard to access because of the stream. He has legal concerns as well as mentioned winter and mainly spring flows. So it would likely have to come out.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a Boom Pole. It will likely be used for setting it.
I don't particularly have any concerns, regarding legality.
Making the bridge so I can get across, without driving through, is my biggest concern. I could, if I didn't care, but I do.
I do not want to submerge the wheels or axles.
I am making the bridge to go over the water, and removable with my tractor when I no longer need access, which will be winter, whether I like it or not.
The creek has risen enough to take out log bridges in the past, that were six feet above the water level when built. I do not want to go through that again.
I'm guessing, but I think I can build a removable bridge that's under 300 pounds. Likely less.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I made one with a house trailer frame once. No longer own the property but it's still in use last I knew. Cut it to length and decked it with treated 2 x 10s. Pinned it down with those mobile home auger type anchors and left it year round. Water occasionally went over the top but it didn't move.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Look for Gangways.....They are all up your way.

I need to span 35' ++....problem is it will be a 25' drop to the ground to cross my creek.
Thats fine for walking but driving the mini ex or 955 over it is totally different.

Theres a Free 20' Container on cl up your way...you could have a covered Bridge easy.

Your on a different plan already ..I get it.....but Free is a good price....I can't find it now.
It was there this morning......needed roof leak fixed..looked good..useable floor...key words of ad.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
you might put aluminum walk-boards for scaffolding on your list to look at if your plan doesn't work out..............................the real question is who will be the first to test it 😂 🚜

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I have a Boom Pole. It will likely be used for setting it.
I don't particularly have any concerns, regarding legality.
Making the bridge so I can get across, without driving through, is my biggest concern. I could, if I didn't care, but I do.
I do not want to submerge the wheels or axles.
I am making the bridge to go over the water, and removable with my tractor when I no longer need access, which will be winter, whether I like it or not.
The creek has risen enough to take out log bridges in the past, that were six feet above the water level when built. I do not want to go through that again.
I'm guessing, but I think I can build a removable bridge that's under 300 pounds. Likely less.
Just curious, are you not concerned, or do you think there aren't concerns?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you concerned?
I'm curious, why are you concerned?

·
Premium Member
10,592 Posts
For ideas you might research rolling docks. Thinking that something like a trailer with the wheels on the back might be easier to handle. A hinged ramp at the back could also be deployed once in position. Weight would be less of a concern since you would be towing it instead of lifting it.

13+ feet is a long tail to wag with a boom pole.

Make sure that the upper bank will support the weight as well. You wouldn't want that to collapse while you are on it.

Maybe you can find one of these at a surplus sale....

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
For ideas you might research rolling docks. Thinking that something like a trailer with the wheels on the back might be easier to handle. A hinged ramp at the back could also be deployed once in position. Weight would be less of a concern since you would be towing it instead of lifting it.

13+ feet is a long tail to wag with a boom pole.

Make sure that the upper bank will support the weight as well. You wouldn't want that to collapse while you are on it.

Maybe you can find one of these at a surplus sale.... View attachment 754080

View attachment 754081
The actual distance from the bank, to the gravel, is about 5ft.
With a length of 13ft, that gives my approach a set-back of near 4ft into solid terafirma, where I'll set something like a 6x6 to place the start of the bridge in / on too for level stability. The other end of the bridge will be far over and onto the gravel bar, and will have basically the same type of footing made of aluminum rectangular tubing spanning foot to foot.
Theoretically this is my vision. It could also change.

The AVLB.
I remember playing with them at YFC.
I don't think my drain-field would survive. LOLOL.

Edit
A mini version would be sweet!!

Reactions: rtgt

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Are you concerned?
I'm curious, why are you concerned?
Not concerned, I just think it's better to go into projects with all of the information. There's definitely legal concerns in our state any time there is disruption to the riparian zone of a water way, I phrased my question the way I did because if you aren't concerned, then I wouldn't have added anything, but if you thought there weren't concerns, better to tell you there are so you can make an informed decision going forward. I apologize if it came off as anything other than the question it was.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not concerned, I just think it's better to go into projects with all of the information. There's definitely legal concerns in our state any time there is disruption to the riparian zone of a water way, I phrased my question the way I did because if you aren't concerned, then I wouldn't have added anything, but if you thought there weren't concerns, better to tell you there are so you can make an informed decision going forward. I apologize if it came off as anything other than the question it was.
To be polite,

I can tell you, I have far more concerns regarding things much more to be concerned about, regarding people that make decisions, governing my way of life with no regards to me (and many others way of existence), that should be more of a concern than my way of doing things, but lets keep legalities and politics out of the topic, thank you.

·
Registered
10,539 Posts
I would just get a 16’ pallet, I’ve used several to make snowmobile bridges. They don’t get removed, but occasionally need realignment after spring melts. Just chain one end to a tree so the whole thing can’t go downstream.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
I was thinking along the lines of a rolling dock too. As long as the bank isn't too steep pretty easy in and out.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The piece of land I'm making the bridge for access too, it's just (and always will be for) a rifle range, that slopes upwards as it goes back.
I want to get over there to clean things up a bit. Maybe knock down a few select trees, and bring the wood back across, for evenings around the fire pit.
Here's a picture of the material.
So far, I've had 1800+LBS on it, in this layout. The material didn't whimper.
I may turn the tubes on their sides, and add one more per side. ( WLL (each) - long side up = 2300#) Doing so will increase the load capacity (I think) by 2/3rds.
I'm not a math whiz, but I'd wager there are some around here that are, who could come up with better data than I can.

Reactions: Kennyd

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have some structural pieces arriving today via FedEx.

·
Administrator
18,830 Posts
I have some structural pieces arriving today via FedEx.
19" aluminum rack bases? I can't tell you how many of these I've thrown away over the years!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
19" aluminum rack bases? I can't tell you how many of these I've thrown away over the years!
Recycled, more likely.
I want more of them.
Working on it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts