Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we all know JD discontinued making loaders for the X7 series. Whatever the reasons, can't get them anymore.

You're pretty much limited to a CTC loader or something like the Little Buck or Buford Bucket. Your other option is a scoop that mounts to a 54" plow and only lifts 6-12" at best.

None of this does much for me. 6-12" of lift just isn't going to cut it for me, so the scoop thing is out.

CTC might seem to be an option, but viewing installed pics reveals there's no way to mount it on my X750 since it has the Curtis/Deere hard cab. Another factor is the cost: currently listed at $3900 USD. I'm in Canada, so you can add roughly another 25% to that for exchange. Then there's shipping, which would also be ridiculously high. Toss in duties, taxes, brokerage and assorted other costs bring it across the border and you're bumping up against 8 grand Canadian. I don't have an issue paying good prices for good products, but that's just a little too much for my wallet.

Little Buck and Buford Bucket look like decent products, but there's some design and use limitations in them that don't sit right with me. If i had to pick one, it would likely be the Buford Bucket. I may end up building one anyways if my current idea doesn't pan out.

So what to do?

Well, roll your own seems to be the only way forward.

First, I need to find a way to mount the darn thing. The curtis cab projects forward into the space where the towers would/should be and the doors mean you can't make the loader wider to fit:
Tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Hood

Adding insult to injury is the fact that the Cab front mounts bolt right over the frame where you would put the loader post mounts. If you've ever seen one of these cabs in person, you'll know removing it isn't exactly a 1 man job, nor is it easy. The cab actually is rated as a ROPS, and the mounting scheme reflects it. It's really integrated into the into the tractor once installed.

So I need a way to get some post mounts on the tractor. Along the way, I started thinking about a larger subframe assembly. Something that bolted to the front and carries the load back to the rear part of the frame. As a side bonus of making it instead of buying something, I can hide it under the floorboards and build it to pick up already existing holes on the frame.

Right now, I'm looking at mounts for a 40 loader to give me some ideas:
Tire Wheel Tractor Vehicle Automotive tire

Now, that won't work on my X750, fo r all the reasons listed above. But it's a good starting point for the idea on building a sub frame suitable for the X750.

Because of the space limitations with the cab, the towers will be shorter and the upper boom arms will also need to be shorter.

This will be a slow build as the tractor also does winter duty, but I will post up when I make some progress. Keep in mind, I'm just at the very beginning of the "design phase".

Oh yeah, this is also not my first loader build:

That's one I was building before I bought the X750, so it remains "unfinished".....

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Hmm, How about a COMPLETELY different concept for a loader?
Subframe to mount under tractor on front & rear. Two vertical post of front of subframe with a carriage that rides up & down on posts... think forklift! Arms attaching to carriage would hold/pivot bucket and post(s) would be hydraulic reservoir. Problems I see..,. already!... would be huge counterweight on rear of tractor and cost of lifting cylinder. Just thinking! Bob

Reactions: Poppi

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not sure where in Canada you're located @gr8twhite but there's a guy in Southwestern Ontario making aftermarket ones I found. See my thread about it here. He was asking $3,500 for the one that was posted on Kijiji (ad is gone now, but we had a lengthy discussion -- he manufactures them). I can PM you the link to his profile if interested, but I no longer have his phone number.

Still don't think it'll mount in tandem with the hard cab unless you modify a few things through. Roger at MTF (X748SE) has a video on the mods he had to do on YouTube here.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure where in Canada you're located @gr8twhite but there's a guy in Southwestern Ontario making aftermarket ones I found. See my thread about it here. He was asking $3,500 for the one that was posted on Kijiji (ad is gone now, but we had a lengthy discussion -- he manufactures them). I can PM you the link to his profile if interested, but I no longer have his phone number.

Still don't think it'll mount in tandem with the hard cab unless you modify a few things through. Roger at MTF (X748SE) has a video on the mods he had to do on YouTube here.
About 1700 kms away from ontario.....

I've seen the loaders they make, won't fit with the cab on mine.

I've also seen the youtube video before. Different cab from mine. There's no way to make that work on mine without completely butchering the front of the cab.

You can see the issue with the cab and mounting a loader on my X750 in the picture above. the cab occupies the space where the towers would go. It's construction does not lend itself to being modified. The cab mount is in the way underneath, the doors wouldn't open, the glass in the doors is tempered and can't but cut down, etc. I have to design a work around to get a couple towers mounted far enough back that the weight is better distributed and allow a decent amount of lift.

·
Premium Member
9,283 Posts
Those are some serious rams on that thing :ROFLMAO:
Bet it out lifts my 120R. By a lot!😁
Cool build.
Following

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm, How about a COMPLETELY different concept for a loader?
Subframe to mount under tractor on front & rear. Two vertical post of front of subframe with a carriage that rides up & down on posts... think forklift! Arms attaching to carriage would hold/pivot bucket and post(s) would be hydraulic reservoir. Problems I see..,. already!... would be huge counterweight on rear of tractor and cost of lifting cylinder. Just thinking! Bob
Interesting, but what you would basically end up with is a Buford Bucket style loader:
except on a sub frame. I'm looking to build something a little more "conventional", Maybe not in looks, but in function.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
So, we all know JD discontinued making loaders for the X7 series. Whatever the reasons, can't get them anymore.

You're pretty much limited to a CTC loader or something like the Little Buck or Buford Bucket. Your other option is a scoop that mounts to a 54" plow and only lifts 6-12" at best.

None of this does much for me. 6-12" of lift just isn't going to cut it for me, so the scoop thing is out.

CTC might seem to be an option, but viewing installed pics reveals there's no way to mount it on my X750 since it has the Curtis/Deere hard cab. Another factor is the cost: currently listed at $3900 USD. I'm in Canada, so you can add roughly another 25% to that for exchange. Then there's shipping, which would also be ridiculously high. Toss in duties, taxes, brokerage and assorted other costs bring it across the border and you're bumping up against 8 grand Canadian. I don't have an issue paying good prices for good products, but that's just a little too much for my wallet.

Little Buck and Buford Bucket look like decent products, but there's some design and use limitations in them that don't sit right with me. If i had to pick one, it would likely be the Buford Bucket. I may end up building one anyways if my current idea doesn't pan out.

So what to do?

Well, roll your own seems to be the only way forward.

First, I need to find a way to mount the darn thing. The curtis cab projects forward into the space where the towers would/should be and the doors mean you can't make the loader wider to fit:
View attachment 814041

Adding insult to injury is the fact that the Cab front mounts bolt right over the frame where you would put the loader post mounts. If you've ever seen one of these cabs in person, you'll know removing it isn't exactly a 1 man job, nor is it easy. The cab actually is rated as a ROPS, and the mounting scheme reflects it. It's really integrated into the into the tractor once installed.

So I need a way to get some post mounts on the tractor. Along the way, I started thinking about a larger subframe assembly. Something that bolted to the front and carries the load back to the rear part of the frame. As a side bonus of making it instead of buying something, I can hide it under the floorboards and build it to pick up already existing holes on the frame.

Right now, I'm looking at mounts for a 40 loader to give me some ideas:
View attachment 814042

Now, that won't work on my X750, fo r all the reasons listed above. But it's a good starting point for the idea on building a sub frame suitable for the X750.

Because of the space limitations with the cab, the towers will be shorter and the upper boom arms will also need to be shorter.

This will be a slow build as the tractor also does winter duty, but I will post up when I make some progress. Keep in mind, I'm just at the very beginning of the "design phase".

Oh yeah, this is also not my first loader build:

That's one I was building before I bought the X750, so it remains "unfinished".....

As a former Chevy Vega owner I am absolutely certain you will prevail at that loader build.

Seeing that hammer there on the floor is all I needed to make that judgment!

·
Registered
3033R Cab
170 Posts
Just go buy yourself a 1025R. After all of the modifications your going to make you will have a one off tractor that will drop your resale value. By the looks of the pictures you a really nice tractor that’s worth a large amount for a down payment and zero percent interest from Deere. Join the 1025R club is my vote haha

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Just go buy yourself a 1025R. After all of the modifications your going to make you will have a one off tractor that will drop your resale value. By the looks of the pictures you a really nice tractor that’s worth a large amount for a down payment and zero percent interest from Deere. Join the 1025R club is my vote haha
yeah, ummm, let me think about that for a minute:

No.

:)

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
This is gonna be a neat build. Following & can't wait to see the end result.

Reactions: Pigpen

·
Registered
99 Posts
Good morning @gr8twhite I am in the design stage of a loader similar to the little buck. I hope to have a concept ready for fabrication in the new year. I am close to the gentleman that was mentioned above on kijiji. I do have shipping capabilities. Here is my quick hitch bucket as a "resume" if you will.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I’m waffling back and forth between a “full” loader build and a buford bucket style build.

Buford.
Pro:
1. I can use a single cylinder for each lift and curl function, which means it would be easier on the tractor hydraulics should I choose to use them.
2. Easier to integrate into the tractors existing systems
3. Obviously, a buford is an easier and less expensive build.

con:
1. Still not a fan of mounting it all on the front frame crossmember.
2. Likely higher front axle loads compared to a conventional setup
3. Looks like it would need more rear ballast compared to a conventional mount (ie: more load on the frame/transaxle).
4. The whole thing just looks odd to me, like shadetree engineering rather than a thought out solution.

Full build.
Pro:
1. More capacity
2. More lift height
3. “Cool” factor

con:
1. 4 cylinders (@2.5” each) is probably too much for the tractor hudraulics, so I’d need to add a secondary hydraulic system
2. Need to mount secondary scv’s
3. More design and fabrication needed
4. More expensive

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
been doing a little "doodling" and I may have a raw design idea on how to move forward:

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Basically, I get around the cab blocking access to where you would mount a "normal" loader by building a (somewhat similar to a) Deere 44 loader subframe. It's still fairly far forward on the tractor, but the subframe at least will distribute the load across the frame instead of on the front crossmember like a Buford Bucket.

Next up is protoyping. Probably start with card board, then wood and finally in steel. With any luck, should be ready by spring/summer 22.....

·
Registered
2021 X738
73 Posts
Looks like a good start. Your prototype will show you pretty quick if you are going to get the lift height you are after.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Figured I’d slide up an old loader project (unfinished) I had taking up space to see how it looked:

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood

I’ll be damned if that isn’t almost a decent fit as it is.

Great thing is all the geometry is already worked out for cylinder placement and range of movement.

All I have to do is a little rework here and there and the lift arms are (essentially) done.

The curl geometry will remain untouched, so the cylinders I have for it will fit as per. But the lift cylinders are likely to have less room overall, so the cylinders might have a bit too much extension. I might end up just not using full extension on the lift cylinders, although I’d prefer the cylinders bottom out before the arms run out of travel. I’ll just have to deal with that issue when I get to it.

It’s a bit “overbuilt” for my x750, but I only intend to use it for fairly light work around the yard and the occational move of heavier items around the garages. The extra “beef” shouldn’t be a problem other than adding weight, which means a bit less in the bucket. Small tradeoff overall.

So once I get the subframe/mount figured out we’re pretty much off to the races….

·
Registered
2021 X738
73 Posts
That looks like it will be a good match. Depending how you build your bucket mounts, you may be able raise the mounting point for the arms up higher. You'll get a bit more lift height out of it.

I have a set of the older style brackets that I'm modifying to fit my X738. I'm happy to take a couple pictures of them if they'd be helpful for you.

Reactions: trav

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That looks like it will be a good match. Depending how you build your bucket mounts, you may be able raise the mounting point for the arms up higher. You'll get a bit more lift height out of it.

I have a set of the older style brackets that I'm modifying to fit my X738. I'm happy to take a couple pictures of them if they'd be helpful for you.
Thanks, but they won’t work on my x750. The cab sits right where the mounts would fit. I need to make a custom mount, hence the subframe.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Little more fitting pieces to see how close I am:

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

the lift cylinders (8”) were originally the bucket curl cylinders.

The long cylinders (16”) in front were orginally the lift cylinders.

The geometry change means theres no way the long cylinders will fit in the lift space. Fortunately, the curl cylinders are a near perfect match for the space available. But it looks like the shorter stroke is foing to limit me to about a 4’ lift. Thats good enough for my intended uses.

The longer cylinders in curl position will need a different mounting, but the length will ensure full dump will be easy to achieve. Thats a “qwiktach” plate on the front so I have lots of real estate for figuring out the best cylinder mounting.

I suppose I could buy another set of 8” cylinders, but thats another 400-ish bucks I’d rather not spend….

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Well, good news and bad.

bad first: the 8” stroke cylinders will fit the space, but 8” of stroke means about 12-16” of lift. I need a longer cylinder, but no space to put one.

Good: I can design a new tower piece feon 1-4” sheet and that will allow me to “sink” the ram mount into the plates. This means the 16” stroke cylinders should fit, or at least be close enough to “massage” the mount points to work right.

its not that big a deal as I expected to have to make new towers. As a small side bonus, it allows me to design a new mounting scheme to install/remove the loader.I’m thinking maybe something like on the newer Masseys.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.