Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at building a stone pad alongside my garage and extending the driveway about 24' further back. Locally we have "process" which is 3/4 & smaller with fines. My plan is to strip off the top soil of course but I'm not sure how deep to make the stone. Is 4" done in 2" compacted lifts sufficient, or would 6" be better? Is a plate compactor enough to compact the lifts?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Is 4" done in 2" compacted lifts sufficient, or would 6" be better? Is a plate compactor enough to compact the lifts?
How much compacted gravel depends on what's underneath. If it is silty, organic material or clay you might want to take a little more off. If it is a sandy/gravely material that drains well you should be good.

A plate compactor and 2" lifts will do the job nicely. Just take your time and be thorough. Watch for areas that keep sinking when compacting. If you have areas that keep sinking it is a clear sign you have soft soil and you might want to remove more and use more gravel. If it holds up well and packs to a hard surface fairly quickly you should have a good surface.

Reactions: MarkEagleUSA

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Once you strip it as deep as you think you need, put down a layer of landscape fabric before putting the gravel down. I'd go with a deep bed (4-6") of crusher run in two layers and compact each one. A plate compactor will work well, especially if the gravel is damp, and several runs of the compactor over the crusher run will have it almost like pavement.

When we install paver patios and walks, we put down a minimum of two inches of crusher run, compact it, then put down 2" of rock dust, scree it level, and then place our pavers. Then we sweep polymeric sand into the joints, and compact the pavers and sand, then reapply the sand to fill the joints. We've yet to have a walk or patio of ours settle.

For something that will get continuous heavy loads like a car, I'd go with a thicker layer. If ever you decide to pave it, you already have the base prepared.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
670 Posts
Once you strip it as deep as you think you need, put down a layer of landscape fabric before putting the gravel down. I'd go with a deep bed (4-6") of crusher run in two layers and compact each one. A plate compactor will work well, especially if the gravel is damp, and several runs of the compactor over the crusher run will have it almost like pavement.
Very good process, when you think your done compacting do it one more time.

When we install paver patios and walks, we put down a minimum of two inches of crusher run, compact it, then put down 2" of rock dust, scree it level, and then place our pavers. Then we sweep polymeric sand into the joints, and compact the pavers and sand, then reapply the sand to fill the joints. We've yet to have a walk or patio of ours settle.
Where are you located that this works? we never do less than 6" base then 1" crushed #8 limestone

For something that will get continuous heavy loads like a car, I'd go with a thicker layer. If ever you decide to pave it, you already have the base prepared.
for a driveway with pavers we do 10-12" of base
Not
critiquing your work just that the process varies greatly from north to south.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Around here we would do what is known as #2 limestone as a base. #2 limestone is about 3" stone.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
That would be northern Indiana

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Mark you will have to go deep! Time to upgrade to a 2038R TLB! 😁

Reactions: MarkEagleUSA

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mark you will have to go deep! Time to upgrade to a 2038R TLB! 😁
Mentioned that to the finance committee and got nothing but an icy stare. I'll be sleeping with 1 eye open for a few days... :oops:

Actually hoping to get a box blade out of the deal.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Mentioned that to the finance committee and got nothing but an icy stare. I'll be sleeping with 1 eye open for a few days... :oops:

Actually hoping to get a box blade out of the deal.
Looks like you waited too long to buy one 🤯

Font Wood Screenshot Flooring Soil

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
@Jimmy Walker. ouch... Thats rude. 🤑

Not sure that driving from NY to Philly twice would be cheaper than just buying one..... 🤬 with current gas prices, but @MarkEagleUSA. You're welcome to borrow my BB if you need it. I would want it back in 30 days or so... 😁

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks like you waited too long to buy one 🤯

View attachment 811992
I realize I should have gotten one earlier this year when it was still like $749. I was hoping for a spring sale that never came and, well, you snooze you lose. I don't think a new County Line anything is in my future.

• Sad

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not sure that driving from NY to Philly twice would be cheaper than just buying one..... 🤬 with current gas prices, but @MarkEagleUSA. You're welcome to borrow my BB if you need it. I would want it back in 30 days or so... 😁
30 days?!? With my documented 20 ft limitations I'd need it for at least 60! :LOL:

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
I realize I should have gotten one earlier this year when it was still like $749. I was hoping for a spring sale that never came and, well, you snooze you lose. I don't think a new County Line anything is in my future.
At that price you might as well go EA Wicked Box Blade.
My $300 used BB has turned out to be a wise investment choice lol. It has probably tripled in value in the last couple years!

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
  • Sad

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
At that price you might as well go EA Wicked Box Blade.
My $300 used BB has turned out to be a wise investment choice lol. It has probably tripled in value in the last couple years!
I've been looking for used but haven't been quick enough with the couple I found. Lots of junk out there too.

I did quote one from EA that was reasonably priced but with a 16-24 week lead time.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.