Green Tractor Talk banner

building my own tooth bar 61"

25K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  CADplans 
#1 · (Edited)
Im building my own tooth bar for my 2025r with the 61" hd bucket. I ordered the 6 teeth yesterday and i need to find or buy a 1/4 inch thick peice of steel that 3" wide by 61" long. Should be a fairly easy project once the teeth come in, in a couple days.I will fasten it with 2 or 3, half inch bolts through the factory holes in the cutting edge. Cant wait to try it out i have always wanted one for my last tractor but didnt get one. The jd one is $500 for this bucket. I will have $130 into this one. The teeth cost me $99 shipped and steel will be about $30.

heres the teeth i bought:
Set of 3 TF23 Bucket Teeth Assembly JD Style w Weld on Shank Flex Pin Digging | eBay

See less See more
#3 ·
That's a great DIY project!
You can get comperable toothbars for under $300, the JD option is really for skid steers are way to heavy anyway.

Reactions: Levi
#4 ·
Looking forward to seeing the finished photos.:bigthumb:

#7 ·
I would go with 3/8 plate steel and probably a little wider than 3" As well

Reactions: etcallhome
#8 · (Edited)
I dont figure the plate is going to do much except hold all the teeth in location mostly when off bucket and keep the bar from falling off when bolted on. If you look at the tooth holder design, once they are slid onto the bucket, they can move back, up, or down. If im wrong now is the time to correct me, im planning on getting the steel tonight. For sure need to be heavier? Any have experience with one not heavy enough?

#9 ·
Vehicle Lawn Asphalt Grass Mower

Here's a photo of the JD 61" HD tooth bar on the 3320 when I took delivery of the machine. It's a very heavy unit. I bet it weights over 150 Lbs. That said it's also extremely rugged. Works great for digging, back dragging & rough grading and has replaceable cast steel teeth.

#10 ·
Frank ,,,looks like your tooth bar is at least . 1/2-5/8" thickness .

Reactions: Superglidesport
#11 · (Edited)
Gene, I haven't measured it. It is probably 1/2" or 5/8" stock. It is one heavy unit. The first time I removed it I almost busted a gut trying to pick it up

Reactions: etcallhome
#12 ·
ok i have done some reading on tbn lots of homemade tooth bars. Looks like ill try to get 3/8 thick by 4" now. shouldnt add too much weight. I just dont see the need for any heavier on this tractor. The teeth will take all the load anyway.

#13 ·
Ah I see now the design you are going for.
I am planning a toothbar from scratch, I will have my teeth mounted ontop of my bar stock, then overlapping the top f bucket edge. This way I will have a flat edge on bottom for back dragging. This is why I was suggesting thicker and wider steel, with my design there will be a fair bit more leverage on the steel bar.

Just based on this thickness of the tooth material, I would stick with a minimum of 3/8 so you can get really good penetration without worrying about the much thinner 1/4" plate.

3/8" by 4" looks like it will be perfect for you! Can't wait to see it all welded up

#14 ·
thinking now, ill have to see. The tooth opening that slides onto the bucket is only 1/1/8". After inserting my hd 3/4" cutting edge of the bucket in that only leaves me 3/8" for the metal plate plus my cutting edge weld bead is back farther than a std bucket which will also add thickness. May need to use 5/16 thick ness or use 3/8 and then do some grinding on the tooth openings.

#16 ·
You probably won't have room to go to 3/8" material with a 3/4" cutter bar on your bucket. You need an entirely different shank for that with a wider opening or get a replacement cutter bar and shanks like on Randy's, then you don't have to worry about the thickness of your cutter bar on your bucket. We weld all our shanks on a 3/8" x 3" cutter bar for added strength and it helps having the angle so it pushes easier in the dirt.:good2:
Automotive exterior Bumper Bumper part Vehicle

#17 ·
I used 3/8×4" for mine. The teeth look the same but I have a 49" bucket and I can't remember the thickness of the edge. The 4" was important to get the teeth welded on all sides. I have a thread in the fabricating forum somewhere.

Reactions: Rope_Chucker
#18 · (Edited)
Aaronmach1 I went out and measured mine. It is indeed 3/8" x 4". This is also on a 61" bucket.

Attachments

#19 ·
still waiting on tooth delivery.Was fed ex tracking never worked now the fed ex tracking number works on usps tracking but package has been sitting an hour from me for 4 days now. Usps always seems to be dicking the dog.

#22 ·
Looks good. Did you use a stick welder or MIG? :greentractorride:

#24 ·
Good looking rig

That's a great looking job. Hope the weather clears so you can try it out.

Treefarmer

#25 ·
Looks great, you will love it I'm sure. I just put mine back on yesterday and had some fun.

Reactions: BigJim55
#27 ·
Nice job on the build of your tooth bar! The pics of it being used are making me jealous. :good2: Looks like you have a nice place there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.