Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
22' tilt bed trailer w/ 6' front platform. Already has stake pockets for 2x4 uprights. Want to build sides out of 2x stock. Current thinking is 2x10 along the bottom, then 2 2x6s. Just not sure how far apart to make the 2 top rails, or the total height of the walls.

Any suggestions welcomed.

·
Registered
438 Posts
What materials do you plan to haul? And what will you be pulling ot with?

A 22' trailer could get pretty heavy if you're hauling stuff like shale or modified and try to load it very high. I've grossed in excess of 22,000 when hauling shale or modified in my 6x12 dump trailer, which put my trailer legally over weight. It has 2' sides with 18" extensions and wasn't more than 75% full (if that) at that weight. Fortunately the quarry is a short 4 mile haul to home. Hauling dirt/fill I've loaded the trailer to where it was so heavy it wouldn't dump. That's with a trailer that is 10' shorter than yours.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not planning anything too heavy - basic utility trailer stuff, for now.

Have access to a decent dump trailer for horse manure runs, etc.

Really just have some moving coming up and would like to get it where stuff doesn't just slide off the sides and such.

How high do most folks go with them, and why did they go with that height is what I'm kinda looking for.

Thanks

·
Registered
138 Posts
I put sides on my utility trailer and went with 5/4 cedartone treated deck boards from Menards. Two-5-1/2" boards at the bottom, 5-1/2" space and a top board. With the trailer stubby sides it works out to about 30" overall. It's nice for moving the kid's household stuff, but it's a stretch to stand on the ground to reach over the sides. I suppose it's a reasonable compromise. I like having lots of tie down options.

Attachments

·
Registered
743 Posts
I did something similar when I rebuilt the old family trailer. It's a home made 4x8 and I used 5/4 x 6 deck boards. So the sides are a little over 2' high and the tail is 1'

NOW.........

DSCF0220 - Copy.JPG

1971?....... it had 2' high plywood sides that curved down to 1' high in the back... FYI, that's me in the trailer... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

07-05-2012 01;57;42PM_3.JPG

·
Administrator
20,366 Posts
I did something similar when I rebuilt the old family trailer. It's a home made 4x8 and I used 5/4 x 6 deck boards. So the sides are a little over 2' high and the tail is 1'
1971?....... it had 2' high plywood sides that curved down to 1' high in the back... FYI, that's me in the trailer... :laugh::laugh::laugh:
That is pretty cool. :good2:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put sides on my utility trailer and went with 5/4 cedartone treated deck boards from Menards. Two-5-1/2" boards at the bottom, 5-1/2" space and a top board. With the trailer stubby sides it works out to about 30" overall. It's nice for moving the kid's household stuff, but it's a stretch to stand on the ground to reach over the sides. I suppose it's a reasonable compromise. I like having lots of tie down options.
That's exactly the sort of thing I wasn't thinking about, but need to consider! Thanks

Make them as tall as you can comfortably reach over. I really wouldn't have even thought about that til it was too late. No substitute for real-world experience.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Not planning anything too heavy - basic utility trailer stuff, for now.

Have access to a decent dump trailer for horse manure runs, etc.

Really just have some moving coming up and would like to get it where stuff doesn't just slide off the sides and such.

How high do most folks go with them, and why did they go with that height is what I'm kinda looking for.

Thanks
When I had my open deck tilt car trailer it had stake pockets as well. I built removable wooden/wire fence panels that were roughly 4 feet high. Firewood and household goods were the heaviest loads I hauled with it. Since it was 4"x4" wire fence panels stapled to the fence frame I wasn't hauling any material like dirt/gravel with it. My trailer was rated at 7500lbs. I didn't have any certain criteria for selecting the 4 foot height other than I could cut 8 foot 2x4 studs in half and have 2 pieces. At the time a 2x4x8 was the cheapest piece of wood I was looking at to do what I needed. It theoretically gave me the least cuts needed. While I have lots of saw etc, I am not exactly the kind of carpenter you want to call if you have a need for such services so the easier the job is set up the better!:bigthumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts