Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in process of building a tooth bar for my 1025R. I ordered points and have 8 coming. My bucket is 53" and per most photos 7 teeth are used. I'm using the twin pointed models. I have 8 pins coming wondered if this would be too many. Photos of Tractor Tim with Tim show 7 of these type teeth.

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
Seems to me the teeth would just be a little closer together. I don't think it would matter much. I have a 61" HD bucket and there are only 7 teeth on my bar, and it probably wouldn't work any better with one more but who knows!:)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,211 Posts
FWIW, I have a 49" bucket on my 1025, and the tooth bar only has 5 teeth. I replaced the standard "flat- billed" teeth with the twin-point Tiger Teeth and that made a great difference. At times I could see 6 or 7 teeth being helpful, but for me the 5 work fine. For a 53" bucket, I would think 6 or 7 would be fine, don't think you'd need 8.

·
Premium Member
2,200 Posts
Seems to me the teeth would just be a little closer together. I don't think it would matter much. I have a 61" HD bucket and there are only 7 teeth on my bar, and it probably wouldn't work any better with one more but who knows!:)
How old is your tractor. Looks like the cutting edge on your bucket is rounded over pretty good.

Edit: I guess I should have asked how many hrs are on your tractor.

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
Big, I have a 2009 2520 with 320 hours.:) The edge just looks that way in the picture. That's the factory edge and actually it's perfect! I have the removable edge on all the time, but I have to take it off when I want to put my tooth bar on!

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Being a member of this board is priceless...tks for the comments....I will probably do 7 like Tim's unit as it is really a dirt devil. I'm going to get the plate this morning. Buying 3 extra teeth in package was not much additional than 2 individual. I do believe 8 would be too many but 7 seems lucky..."pun". I'm 74 and have been doing tractor projects over 60 years...Tim's show is my favorite. He and family have a special people skill in his show not to make it about themselves but rather about family valves and useful information. I plan on planning one edge of the bar and having shop cut the lengths. Anyway I'll give you a photo when completed...later this week....best Chuck

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Depends on what your planning to dig with it. If you have really hard dirt, than the less teeth the better. If your ripping out bushes and doing light yard work than you’ll be fine.

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Phase one of the toothbar build. Got the steel at Modern Welding....beveled same and got the side brackets added. Those cone drills are super handy. Waiting on my teeth...should be here in a day or sold but mostly just putting the holes in the bucket welding on the teeth, a little paint. final photo to follow....using 7 teeth.

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm in process of building a tooth bar for my 1025R. I ordered points and have 8 coming. My bucket is 53" and per most photos 7 teeth are used. I'm using the twin pointed models. I have 8 pins coming wondered if this would be too many. Photos of Tractor Tim with Tim show 7 of these type teeth.
I've been toying with the same idea of a "roll your own" tooth bar for my 53" bucket myself. I'm on the west coast and can't quite come to grips with shelling out $483.00 for a HH tooth bar, even as fine as it is.

Are you using the same Pengo shanks and teeth as are on the HH tooth bar?

I'll be watching this thread with interest.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Caterpillar built my toothbar,, I have been using it for over a decade,

If you want to save $$$, this seems to be the way to go,
they simply took a wide cutting edge, and cut away the parts that are not a "tooth"

There is another piece on top to hold the toothbar on the cutting edge,,

60HP has not been able to wear it out,,,:good2:

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Phase 2 of the project. Used 7 teeth which looked proper, have one left over for spare or for sale. Spot welded bar and it looks good. Was sure to place to rear where the front edge would clear and I also beveled the rear side of the bar. Use the pointed drill bit and secured the bar like a battleship. I'm getting a commercial welder tomorrow and will finish laying on the weld. Then paint. Project going really good.

Attachments

·
Registered
283 Posts
Looks awesome! I’d like to do something similar.

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The steel at Modern Supply was about $50.00 and the teeth from Amazon was about $130.00 Your's truly on the fabrication. The drill bits are from Harbor Freight and the small cone models work great...don't jerk your wrist. Using 7018 on the welding rods. I set the plate back enough where it is setting flat with very little cavity on the factory bar. That somewhat a judgment item. I'm cutting the extra bolt length off but it probably doesn't matter. I can use my plasma if I want to cut bolts and remove. This bucket came on my 1025R but will also fit my JD4400 if I want to get more aggressive. Like Tractor Tim says one has to watch and not creel over the bucket and make the cylinders hit against the stops. I don't know if it is any better or worst that other models but it left my pocket book with about $150 more. I don't see pulling the bar off and on...it's just that these buckets are so expensive that most people wouldn't want to weld on them.

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Phase 2.5 went and picked up the Lincoln idealarc at Murfreesboro, Tn. Got back home removed panels cleaned out rigged it with leads and plug in. Fired up and "oh boy" it was sluggish. I noticed this when I picked it up but it looked nice and price was very attractive at $450. Machine had been used in construction and I bought off craigslist. Scratched my head a little and remembered it had been wired with a receptical on the side. A little review of the wiring diagram and to my amazement it had been wired for 460 or the high position. Put it on low 208 volts and wow did that thing take off. Believe I've got a real machine so on phase 3.0 I'll show you some 7018 runs on the tooth bar. Then a little paint and phase 3 will be completed. Those idealarc 250's are real work horses. Been wanting one for years so I found this one. It is the newer unit and not the old tombstone design. If things go well my small buzz box goes to craigslist. It is a nice unit AC/DC.

·
Administrator
17,970 Posts
Nice build :good2:

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Nice job!

Phase 3 and final phase. The Lincoln Idealarc burnt those rods like butter...even finished off a few older rods....and here's the final...had a couple of partial spray bombs and just enough....ready for the dirt....
You are ready to do some serious root canals!

Nice work,
Don

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Caterpillar built my toothbar,, I have been using it for over a decade,

If you want to save $$$, this seems to be the way to go,
they simply took a wide cutting edge, and cut away the parts that are not a "tooth"

There is another piece on top to hold the toothbar on the cutting edge,,

60HP has not been able to wear it out,,,:good2:
what did you use to cut it....i would assume a torch would wharp and anneal the steel???

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
what did you use to cut it....i would assume a torch would wharp and anneal the steel???
It is torch flame cut, I have cut many tens of thousands of pounds of steel, without warping.
A machine torch cuts so fast, there is very little of the steel that is heat affected,,

1 - 20 of 20 Posts