Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next Tuesday I'm starting construction on a new garage/shop. The structure will be 32'x56'x12' with a 10'x16' overhead door in the west (right side in image below)

It will look something like this:
north.png
I'll have the site prepped with the assistance of the 1025 by Tuesday, I've been planning the construction for several years so the dirt pad is pretty much ready to go. Last weekend, with the box blade, I ripped up the surface and removed all the grass down to bare soil, now I have to decide on the pad height. We've been getting a little rain, so the soil will be much easier to break up now.

Down the road I'll put a porch roof on this (north), and in the picture the left (east) side of the garage. The left side will just be covered roof for the stuff you don't want to get sun baked but not garage worthy, the porch on the north will be for sipp'n beer and lemonade in the summer time. The vertical dashed line shows where the wood shop wall is on the inside, that space will be roughly 20'x32'. The rest of the building will be storage.

We are capturing the attic space, one room with the dormer facing west. My daughter has dibs on it that she calls her "creative space." For the love of god I hope it's not pink.

The frame of the building will be fairly traditional pole barn construction, posts on 8' centers, trusses on 4' centers, but the 2"x6" girts will run between the posts horizontally 2' OC to which the sheathing will be attached. It will be sided as shown with Hardi plank, or something equivalent, and I'll add some veneer stone on the bottom 3' or so.

It will have radiant heat in the floor and well insulated. As we progress, I'll take pictures along the way document the progress and process just because I like to do this and we all like pictures and I'm sure I'll be asking for advice along the way.

·
Administrator
20,350 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
:munch::munch::munch:

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Nice, I look forward to watching the progress and then a semi-finished building, as we rarely ever finish a new shop.

I'm working on one myself, still diddling with the pad. I live on a hillside so it takes quite a bit of diddling!! :laugh::laugh:

:munch::munch:

·
Registered
445 Posts
I like the style and look forward to seeing the progress.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes let's see the progress!! Many Panting folks around here.
Steve

It's been slow, with not much happening. We've been dry from the end of spring until....you got it this week. I got the pad leveled, and have drilled holes with the 12" think concrete footings. Material is supposed to be delivered today, but it's raining pretty good here now, I'm not sure if that will still happen.

Of all the luck...but I know my farmer neighbors need the rain...it was getting pretty dry and the corn was showing signs of moisture stress.

I hope to have progress this week if the weather cooperates.....

·
Registered
481 Posts
When is the open shop party? I'll be there...... Wine anyone?:laugh:

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
It's still slow going...but thank god we are getting rain, it will make the harvest for the row-crop farmers. At the building site, looking inside one of the post holes, second time in 2 days the holes were filled, mostly surface run off.
IMG_2505.jpg
The holes are 4' deep (to get below the frost line) with 12" of concrete in the bottom, and back filled with cleaned 1 to 1-1/2"crushed limestone.

Yesterdays progress, the west end and north side are started, but last nights rain slowed the progress today. The builder uses a JD 3420 tele-handler for his lift assistant.

IMG_2503.jpg IMG_2502.jpg

The truss dude got the preliminary drawings hammered out, here's a couple of 3d renderings of the roof trusses:
image002.png image003.png
The pair of red trusses at the rear of the second drawing is where the stairs will come up from below. The wood shop will to the left, and garage to the right. The plan is to have a set of stairs coming up to a landing, then tight angle to the upstairs room, once the plan is accepted it's just a few days for manufacturing and delivery from Ohio.
Will have more soon, assuming we get some cooperation with the weather, more rain in tomorrow's forecast, :rain: dang it.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Framing is coming along. New to me is the builder's style of top band, two 2x12s let into the posts with two 2x6 on top of that as a top plate, should be plenty strong. :good2:

IMG_2527.jpg

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,023 Posts
Are the wall girts between the poles?

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
445 Posts
Yes, the exterior will be sheathed and sided like traditional garage.
That's the way to do it. Takes longer but it makes for a nice wall when finished.

Are you going to insulate? Blown cellulose? fiberglass batts? Spray foam?
(Enquiring minds don't you know)

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's the way to do it. Takes longer but it makes for a nice wall when finished.

Are you going to insulate? Blown cellulose? fiberglass batts? Spray foam?
(Enquiring minds don't you know)
RE insuation: I would like to do a dense pack cellulose. I don't care for fiberglass bats, and can't justify foam.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry, I've let this thread go stale, life gets in the way sometimes and that happens.

You see this year has been pretty rough, Dad passed away in March, and Mom passed away in August. Looking back, hiring a builder has been one of the best decisions I've made in a long time. He could keep on forward progress while I spent the most of August in the hospital with Mom and her progressing breast cancer. So between working with estate issues and this project I've been a bit more than swamped. Compounded by the absolutely crappy weather we've had this summer/fall, I'm getting no where fast, or so it seems.

Here the walls are being sheathed...pretty straight forward details, 2' of pressure treated plywood on the bottom, 1/2" osb on from there to the eaves.

IMG_2533.JPG

IMG_2534.JPG

Trusses going up, you can see the shape of the upstairs room
IMG_2592.JPG

And skipping WAY ahead after spending weeks in the hospital with Mom, the garage is sided and shingled. The lower section not sided will have fake stone installed to match the house. Eventually, there will be a porch roof on the left sice over the windows and doors with stone columns.
IMG_2669.JPG
Looking south, this is the wall where the porch roof will be in the future. I'll extend it around to the east (left by the yellow ladder) to provide additional roofed storage for those items that need protections but not inside.
IMG_2670.JPG

IMG_2671.JPG

Once the builder finished his use of the inside, I was able to start my next step, insulating the interior, outside walls with 2" Owens Corning Formular 150. It extends down 2' and around the entire perimeter of the building.

In absences of a backhoe/excavator, I used what I had, the 1025. Starting about 2' out from the wall, I was able to dig a trench down right at 2' with the loader. Here my daughter thought she was a miner, as she helped me crumb out the trench. I was amaze how well it worked, never once increase the RPM's above idle. The hardest part was managing the stock pile so it was not in the way of the next section to dig. All the dirt has been filled back and packed with a plate compactor. I can't tell you how many tons of material I've moved/removed, but it's a LOT. The rock as you can see on the inside of the posts was removed as that is the plane where the foam is installed. The rock on the sides of the post has been replaced and tamped, the builder was not concerned about it's removal given the structure is fully sheathed with 4/8 sheets. We've had a few storms with wind an it's done well so far, I'll feel better when the concrete is placed.

IMG_2685.JPG

IMG_2683.JPG

My trusty steed...
IMG_2684.JPG

I've got all the insulation installed, and back fill placed and tamped down to about 2 inches below finished grade (the 2x4 at the bottom of the wall.) I've glued double layers of foam under the bottom girt and filled the space between it and the soil with man-sand (course limestone "sand", described by the quarry as "Washed limestone manufactured sand used in Hot Mix Asphalt or as a drainable fill material" so water will not wick it's way up onto the last girt.)

Building water is supplied buy a T into the water main about 8' away from the building, through a freeze proof water hydrant inside the building. From there, I'll build a small distribution manifold that will feed the outside spigots, bathroom, and pressure washer connection. My plan is to also install a air line near the manifold so I can blow them out when needed.

I'll snap a few more pictures of the floor progress with drain rough dig out, right now I'm waiting on the concrete contractor to final grade the floor then I'll install the foam and radiant in-floor heating tubing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here's the floor drain plan showing the wall between the shop and garage

shop.png

1 - 20 of 73 Posts