Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the best place to have them dump 10 cu yds, on a tarp, gravel driveway, in the grass? I plan to scoop it with the tractor and dump in the flower beds around the house.

Also is $35/cu yrd delivered a good price for black dyed hardwood chips?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Where is the best place to have them dump 10 cu yds, on a tarp, gravel driveway, in the grass? I plan to scoop it with the tractor and dump in the flower beds around the house.

Also is $35/cu yrd delivered a good price for black dyed hardwood chips?

i would say the grass would be best.
Hard to get it off a tarp without snagging the tarp and you will never get it out of the gravel.

Price, I was surprise when someone here compared buying mulch by the bag was about the same. While spreading it with a tractor is fun, the ability to dump it bag by bag exactly where you want it could be easier.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
The grass is probable the best of your options, as long as the pile won't be there long enough to smother the grass. $35.00 / yard delivered in my area is not unreasonable for good hardwood mulch.

I'll add my unsolicited 2 cents about mulch:

10 yards is a lot of mulch. A full size pickup's 5 1/2 ft. bed will hold just about 2 yards of loose mulch, not heaped and level from bedside to bedside. An 8 foot bed is good for about 3 yards. Most trucks can't legally carry a full bed of loose (damp) mulch, but you get the idea of the volume.

I've been buying mulch at Lowe's the last few years. When it's on sale, a 2 cu. ft. bag is $2.00. That puts you at $27.00 / yard. I only use a yard per year and prefer the bags over loose mulch for the ease of use and the quality of the mulch. We still use the tractor to transport the bags to the gardens, but then it's spread a bag at a time, which is no more work than spreading loose mulch a shovel at a time.

I'd have a dilemma if I needed 10 yards to spread around. I have a small dump-truck and can buy bulk mulch for $25 / yard. It's produced locally at a facility that manufactures building trusses. They use their scrap pine and also accept brush and trees from municipalities and the public and grind and dye on site. I haven't viewed their process, but I suspect that their mulch is still somewhat "green" and subject to decomposing, as the one year I did use it, the lower layers became moldy and formed a mat at the ground. Around the trees it wasn't a big deal, but it couldn't have been good for my bride's garden plants. For that reason, I consider their product inferior to any of the bagged mulch I've bought and I'd probably pay the extra money even if I had to have Lowe's deliver pallets of their bags.

·
Corndog Hater
11,236 Posts
I agree with what has been said here. Up until 2 years ago, I bought 5 yards in bulk every year. I was able to have it delivered for $38/yard and dumped on my asphalt driveway in the turn around. It would actually turn the driveway surface the color of the mulch...."cherry brown". I switched to bags, mainly for cost savings as I do what OxPath does, and it's cheaper.I've also put down decorative stone around the pool, it's called TimberLite, to lessen the amount of mulch we use. I'm down to 30 bags now, and still use the tractor, and no mess. Next year will be more as we've decided to switch to black mulch.

·
Registered
12,495 Posts
We too used to buy bulk but have switched to bags, finding it much easier to distribute, but to answer your question I would dump it in the grass and move it quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the responses, the Mulch Man was able to get his dumper in an area around the back of the house that we planned to mulch so cleanup will not be an issue, i suspect we will need another 10 yards to cover the parameter of our home. I'm thinking 135-270 bags would have been hell. I plan to use the tractor to distribute the mulch after I spray all these weeds.

·
Registered
697 Posts
i would say the grass would be best.
Hard to get it off a tarp without snagging the tarp and you will never get it out of the gravel.

Price, I was surprise when someone here compared buying mulch by the bag was about the same. While spreading it with a tractor is fun, the ability to dump it bag by bag exactly where you want it could be easier.

Bulk mulch is only cheaper as a contractor. My listed price is about 12-20% off retail/bagged, depending on quantity.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I'm still trying to wrap my head around why bagged mulch is cheaper than bulk...

Volume movement.

Keep in mind, in almost all cases, most equipment moving mulch around is designed for much heavier aggregate. That's a bunch of wasted diesel and more expensive maintenance. Whereas bags of the stuff go through a machine, which then the bags are skidded: Skids are incredibly cheap, light, and easy to ship anywhere in the world. Not to mention, almost no product loss happens, as opposed to the floor of bulk mulch piles.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I only ever buy it by the bag. You can usually find it on sale from the big box stores for less than $3 for a 2 cu ft bag. It may be a little more expensive but it is much easier to move and transport as long as you have a set of forks.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I only ever buy it by the bag. You can usually find it on sale from the big box stores for less than $3 for a 2 cu ft bag. It may be a little more expensive but it is much easier to move and transport as long as you have a set of forks.
I've always bought by the bag until this year. The local mulch yard dumped the pile in an area I had planned to mulch and I used the FEL for 50 minutes to spread around the house then spent 20-30 minutes smoothing it with a landscaping rake. Overall the bulk mulch was slightly more expensive. No bags to move or discard and I was able to complete the task in a fraction of the time. Give it a try sometime if you would ever have a need for that much mulch.

·
Registered
414 Posts
We use triple hammered hardwood mulch. I always purchase in bulk. One year it’s a heavy load. The next it’s a light top dressing. This year was 14 cubic yards. I always have mine dumped on the concrete but only because with my schedule and even using all of our equipment, it takes me a few weeks of Sunday’s to get it all out. If I dumped in the grass it would be dead by the time I got it done. Hope yours gets spread soon. Nothing worse than finding snakes in the mulch pile!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts