Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran over a bumble bee nest today while bushhogging my field. I stopped counting at 2 & 1/2 million bees :wink: well maybe not that many but several dozen were greatly agitated because I had mowed over their entrance. They were dive bombing the cab trying to show me just how much they didn't like it.

I was very thankful and lucky to have a tractor with a cab.

Attachments

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I'm glad that you had a cab too!!

·
Administrator
20,730 Posts
Wow! I had no idea Bumble Bees lived in the ground.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
That cab was worth every penny you spent on it right then. It could cease to exist tomorrow and you'd have gotten your money's worth. :)

I have vivid, stirring memories of hitting an in-ground hornets nest with a bushhog on the Ford 8N we had when I was a kid. I don't think anything could've gone fast enough to get out of there as soon as I wanted to!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I ran over a small yellow bee nest many years ago with a push mower. I didn't go back for the mower till the next day!

·
Registered
937 Posts
I got hung up on an old 55 gallon barrel one time while shredding with our international 1066 turbo. The barrel ended up being full of Africanized honey bees. They swarmed me so fast that I don't have time to turn off the tractor. I ended up losing my shirt and my hat while trying to beat myself with them to smash the bees that were on me. I ran about 2 miles before they finally stopped. I really thought that I was gonna die that day. It took an hour for my dad and brother to pull out all the stingers.

Went back 4 hours later because my dad was extremely mad that I didn't turn the tractor off. I believe in the bees putting pheromones on you once they sting you because they would swarm me if I opened the door of the truck from even 100 yards away. We ended up having to wait until late at night to get tractor out of there.

That same year we ended up getting 5 hives on our house alone not counting all the others around the property. Oh the joy of living in south Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,757 Posts
Glad to hear you had the cab , or things could have been B A D !

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,517 Posts
Per Google...

Queen and worker bumblebees can sting. Unlike a honey bee's stinger, a bumblebee's stinger lacks barbs, so it can sting repeatedly without injuring itself. Bumblebee species are not normally aggressive, but will sting in defense of their nest, or if harmed.

·
Registered
269 Posts
That cab was worth its weight in gold that day. Multiple stings can become dangerous if one has had repeated multi sting incidents as we dont build immunity, we become more susceptible after repeated multi stings. Twice I have hit "ground bees", all I could do was jump off the mower and run. Both times they got me below my eye, it swells up so you cant see out of that eye for a couple days. They hit like a claw hammer and it smarts. Swatting six bees with only two hands, it dont work well!

·
Registered
35 Posts
yes cabs are nice

Yes, the cab paid for itself right there. I have ran over a yellow jacket nest on a '72 Ford 2000 and had that panic debate whether to stop and shift to higher gear or tough it out and hope they don't swarm. Luckily they were interested in the gearbox and only got stung in top of head.

I am always jumpy when a grasshopper jumps on my skin cutting grass from the experience. For a split moment it feels just like a bee is lighting digging in getting ready to sting.

And dang I was just stung today on the knuckle above the fingernail. It hurts. Has my finger swollen and stiff.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,517 Posts
I have found yellow jacket nests twice while out mowing. It is a very painful experience, and yes, after that, anything touching you while mowing will make you think your world is about to end! :laugh:
Very true.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If it were me, I would go back to that in ground nest & give them a piece of my mind, and a taste of my flame thrower for squatting on my property.:nunu:
I'm looking for a volunteer :laugh:

I have been thinking of different ways to get rid of them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Waiting on my 5093E with cab that will be delivered Sunday..One of the reasons I've decided to go to the cab tractor is exactly what you experienced..Bumble bees have shut me down for the last time.. I can't wait..

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
When I was a kid I was mowing our back yard with a push mower. Luckily for me we had a 24' above ground pool and as soon as the bees swarmed I hopped over the side and hid out for a while till the swarm cleared. I then proceeded to park the running mower over the hole for about 10 minutes and played "will it blend" with the rest of the nest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I found a late in the season yellow jacket nest and was very glad I had a cabbed tractor. All you hear is little "tink"s that grow in frequency kinda like when you're making popcorn and things get going. I was not so lucky about 10 years ago when weed whacking, got 25 stings.

As for burning them out, we had a "fun" fire call once in the fall where a guy decided to pour gasoline down a yellow jacket hole and light it. He set his yard covered with leaves on fire. He then forgot that the nest often have a 2nd entrance/exit and stood over it, so he got stung a lot. We got there with the yard on fire, the guy hopping around saying "Golly Gee, those silly bees sure are nasty" (or words to that effect), and a nice cloud of yellow jackets.

The rookies got a lot of important real world training that day.

Pete

1 - 18 of 18 Posts