Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if there is any tricks to get a huge (50' diameter) brush pile lit. Its all poplar and its green. I have some old diesel oil and some tires but that is not to PC anymore. Any thoughts on getting this pile burned is appreciated. I could let it dry but then I would have to wait to put the pond in. It would be nice to get this thing torched.

·
Premium Member
7,720 Posts
I let my brush piles dry at least all summer, sometimes longer.
If you had a dry pile you could get burning, you could feed the green to it.
We have to have a burn permit in my township. Black smoke is big NO NO. I would not burn tires. We can't even burn building materials of any type, including 100+ year old barn wood.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Easy starting burn piles

After driving fuel trucks and working at a refinery for several years I learned about fuel absorbant pads. The pads are 2' x 2' and absorb only fuel and are really effective soaking up fuel. I buy a bundle (24.95) and soak them in old diesel. Stuff quiet a few soaked pads in various locations throughout the pile and light them. They are a plastic based material and drips molten plastic down through the pile and generate tremendous heat. It is not very dirty as far as smoke and definitely better than tires. Those are nasty and put off so much black smoke. The pile will get burning very hot down deep where the pads have burned and will get even your poplar burning.
What pads you don't use are awefully nice to have on hand when refuelling tractors, trucks, boats etc. They absorb fuel in the case of oops. I keep a 5 gallon bucket with several soiled pads in there and by fall (brush burning season) I pop the lid and use them. There a good thing to have around.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
want.

I just burned a bunch of green brush yesterday. I used the same principle as fuelhoser. I used a garbage bag full of paper soaked with used hydraulic oil, then drizzled the brush with used hydraulic oil too. I use a propane torch to get it going. Once it starts burning hot, you can throw all the green stuff on you want.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is why I hang around this joint! Thanks guys, great ideas!

·
Premium Member
5,981 Posts
You might also look into a metal culvert tube with a big fan at one end to blow extra air into the pile. This will make it burn hotter, thus burn better. ~~ Lowell

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
I don't burn any more. I do the chipper thing. Had more than my fair share of fires getting away from me.
That and I'm sure Cuomo would not approve any way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
18,008 Posts
When we light the annual neighborhood bonfire, we use flares and diesel fuel.

IMG_2305.jpg

·
Registered
892 Posts
50/50 gas/diesel works well for me. Gas gets it going and diesel keeps it going.

Jim

·
Registered
176 Posts
I put some dry wood under the pile and pile it high instead of wide. Then I use a plow torch attached to a five gal. can a propane. Stay up wind and keep the tank away from the fire. I don't use oil of gas. Always seems to leave a residual odor to the spot.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Here in Texas all we need to do to make a fire is to look at it the wrong way. I've never had anyone ask how to make something burn. Instead it's how to make it stop... Even the cedar trees when green and still growing will light with just a match. I guess that's what no rain and 100+ degree heat will do...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
More work maybe, but I burn in a 55gal. drum w/o bottom or top sitting on 4 cement blocks. Since if I had a chipper I'd be standing there anyway I just keep sticking loads of brush/wood processing chips and bark. I fork the loose stuff in and just feed the longer stuff by hand when the fire dies down a little. Once the load of coals reaches about 4" deep you could burn fresh driftwood in there all day! I also like to wait for a day after a rain or maybe during a light rain or mist. The heat concentrated out the top of the barrel will carry the smoke way up and away from the "operator".

In the interest of safety of everyone who would defeat a RIOS... use gloves.:laugh:

BTW, that brush pile of the OP's is a "small" brush pile around this place, especially after storms!:good2:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Popple?

Bah...it wil burn nicely once you get it going.
Start with enough Diesel to get things HOT and then hit it with the Leaf blower.
Once you get a good base going, it will burn.
That's a little pile and shouldn't take long at all.

Save those tires for night time stump reduction.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I strongly recommend that you check with your state Environmental protection agency to make sure that your procedure complies with state law.
Yea, that's probably not gonna happen.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
My dad always used something like this. Weed Dragon VT2-23C Garden Torch Kit, Mini Propane Torch, Weed Control Torch, Propane Torch Kit When I bought my property it was one of the first things I picked up. We have a fire pit that's about 10 feet in diameter. I just set the propane tank back as far as the hose will let me and once it's lit I just set it so it blows into the center of the pile. Once the pile gets going I just remove it and shut it off. These also work great in the spring to start fires to burn out weeds. We used to sit on the tailgate of dad's truck and light waterways with it. I've used gas and diesel, but this is the easiest/safest way I've used.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I use diesel and used motor oil mixed 50/50. Lights pretty easy. Throw some tires in at dark and no one will see black smoke. I use a leaf blower to put air to it and really get it going. I like the absorbent pad idea. That way it won't just run off.
Ive also used an old air pressured fire extinguisher filled with diesel to spray into the fire from a safe distance.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
You might also look into a metal culvert tube with a big fan at one end to blow extra air into the pile. This will make it burn hotter, thus burn better. ~~ Lowell
I am LMAO at this suggestion. One, because it is something I would definitely do, and two, I can see the arrival of the local forest fire response team if I did. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
5,981 Posts
I am LMAO at this suggestion. One, because it is something I would definitely do, and two, I can see the arrival of the local forest fire response team if I did. :laugh:
Our city had 1/2 interest in one with another area town several years ago. Folded in the middle & had a trailer axle for transport. Allowed the fan to be away from the heat. Anything to get morir into the pile so it will burn better! ~~ Lowell

1 - 20 of 46 Posts