Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for recommendations on bush hogs for MCUTs. I'd like to go with a 5' wide unit, but most require more PTO HP than my 2720 produces (22 HP @ the PTO; working mostly flat land).

For those that run a bush hog on your smaller MCUTs, what makes / models do you recommend and why?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have a 2025R 1st gen and a King Kutter 60”. It’s really feels like it’s too much for the 2025R so I use my old Ford 8N for bush hog duty. The only thing I cut with it is tall grass/weeds. I think the 2025 has enough HP, it just feels like a lot of weight back there. I have a 60” finish mower that is no problem at all. If I was to purchase a new bush hog for the 2025 I’d probably go with a 48” cut.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
5' on a 790

I'm not sure a 790 qualifies as a smaller MCUT but I have a 5' behind that with no problems. There's two issues: you asked about PTO HP but there's also weight involved.

The 5' will drag my 790 in heavy grass or weeds. It won't pull the engine down to where a little throttle can't overcome it but I think it would bog 22 hp. That could be overcome by cutting higher, taking half cuts etc. Your 2720 is about 4 hp less and a few hundred pounds less weight so I think you could run a 5' on it but it would be at the upper limit of what you want.

If you are running on flat ground and not cutting too much material you can to it. I would be a bit cautious running in road speed as i think if it started bouncing or you forgot and took a turn too sharp at speed you would definitely find it exciting.

If a 4' will cover your wheel tracks, I'd probably suggest that's a better fit.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
510 Posts
We ran an older than Methuselah 5ft. BushHog behind an 8N for years. Keys to a decent cut were sharp blades, dry material to hog, and high RPM. Our Hog is a tailwheel type, which mitigated the "heavy implement" behind the tractor feel. We occasionally cut chest deep grass that was fully seeded out.

Good luck with your decision.

Brian

I have a 2025R 1st gen and a King Kutter 60”. It’s really feels like it’s too much for the 2025R so I use my old Ford 8N for bush hog duty. The only thing I cut with it is tall grass/weeds. I think the 2025 has enough HP, it just feels like a lot of weight back there. I have a 60” finish mower that is no problem at all. If I was to purchase a new bush hog for the 2025 I’d probably go with a 48” cut.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the same question and decided to get a 5ft bush hog for behind my 4115. It pulls and carries it with no problems. Also I do use suit case weights up front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
770 with 5' bush hog

I'm not sure a 790 qualifies as a smaller MCUT but I have a 5' behind that with no problems. There's two issues: you asked about PTO HP but there's also weight involved.

The 5' will drag my 790 in heavy grass or weeds. It won't pull the engine down to where a little throttle can't overcome it but I think it would bog 22 hp. That could be overcome by cutting higher, taking half cuts etc. Your 2720 is about 4 hp less and a few hundred pounds less weight so I think you could run a 5' on it but it would be at the upper limit of what you want.

If you are running on flat ground and not cutting too much material you can to it. I would be a bit cautious running in road speed as i think if it started bouncing or you forgot and took a turn too sharp at speed you would definitely find it exciting.

If a 4' will cover your wheel tracks, I'd probably suggest that's a better fit.

Treefarmer
I agree with Tree Farmer, I've have a JD 513 5' Rotary Mower (Brush Hog) on my JD 770 for a looong time. No problem mowing, just the weight of it. With the FEL off the tractor and/or uneven ground the front wheels would come off the ground, and make things "Exciting" as Tree Farmer would say. With the front end loader on, not a problem.

Just another Bench Mark. Take care, Snowdoggie

·
Premium Member
12,927 Posts
I use a frontier RC2060 on my 2025R with no issues. It does require all the HP this tractor has in thick heavy fields, but I’ve never had any issues. It should be noted though that the Frontier 60" requires 19 PTO HP.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I've got a 4' RC2048 and I wish I had the RC2060. The 4' cutter isn't wide enough to cover your tracks when you have your rears in the wide setting, so you can't get very close to anything without turning. You can always take less of a cut if you need to. I run it with my loader on, so I don't have front ballast issues and I carry around my chipper which is 850 lbs, so weight for a 5' cutter should not be an issue.

I've got the 4' cutter because I bought it with my first tractor, a 1026R. If I was buying another one, I would definitely go 5'.

OvbZY7gOydtTMaqBHQpC2XKzDgtQZgVxiNtzv3igLtR45DiOvfzihtV7P56ABnaDL2B7S5gD3S6dFJnYMbZxgz2TagdQ2YaQ.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts