Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way to potentially purchase Amish-built furniture "direct" instead of through a retail store. I would love to be able to find something of their quality, but at a price that is actually affordable. I just priced out a bedroom set and the price (retail) was way over $11,000 and that doesn't include any upcharges for cherry wood or specific hardware.

There are a lot of places that advertise as selling Amish-built furniture, but I've read that -many- of those places are not actually selling stuff that comes direct from the Amish.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I think its easier now, a lot of Amish have an arms length web presence working with those worldly Mennonites! :laugh:

We bought an Amish built entertainment center from these folks a few years ago. I am happy with the quality and the way they worked with us to built what i drew up for them. The dimensions were custom to fit into a wall space area and for the TV size. We also had picked the side shelving design and doors. They talked me out of cherry to a cherry finish on poplar. I'm not sorry, it looks fine and matches the other cherry furniture in the adjacent room. I can get some close up pics if you want when i get back.

Quality Hardwood Furniture - Dutch Home Furniture, Middletown, DE

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Problem is they don’t have websites.

Best way is to go find one. I have a Mennonite casket maker down the street and up home in Northern, PA we had a couple of Amish operations that did new furniture and one that refurbished but you had to go see them to get work done.

Thier is an Amish store not far from sisters they have great spices and things I have not found anywhere else. They take credit cards but use the old impression machine. And they have a big old general store register with the pull handle on the side. They have an ice house and fresh pork two days a week and beef 1 Day a week. It,s awesome.

·
Administrator
17,135 Posts
We've bought a bunch of stuff from these guys, some things they make themselves like the slab/live edge tables, and some stuff like chairs and drawers they get from large shops in Ohio. May not be as "direct" as you want, but they do make custom stuff, we had a bench and live edge table made to our specs, but also bought "off the floor" stuff too like our bedroom set ad a file cabinet for my office.

Twin Brook Furniture LLC |

·
Registered
11,289 Posts
Hi, all.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way to potentially purchase Amish-built furniture "direct" instead of through a retail store. I would love to be able to find something of their quality, but at a price that is actually affordable. I just priced out a bedroom set and the price (retail) was way over $11,000 and that doesn't include any upcharges for cherry wood or specific hardware.

There are a lot of places that advertise as selling Amish-built furniture, but I've read that -many- of those places are not actually selling stuff that comes direct from the Amish.
If it were me, I'd go for an air mattress and a sleeping bag.:banghead:

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
There is a store in Russell Ma on rte 20 about 10 mi west of Westfield, I would go there and see what they got. I got a few things from them, all dealing, for both furniture and sheds/ small barn, have been top notch. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Not sure if you have any Amish or Mennonite in your area but if you do and know one go talk to them. If one doesn’t build furniture they most likely know someone that does.

We had ours built by a local Mennonite man. Two dressers, two nightstands, a bed, and mirror all out of solid oak with ball bearing drawer slides. I don’t think we have 3000 in everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
If you have the time, it might be worth a couple day trip to visit the Amish communities nearest to you directly. Some are set up to be more "tourist" friendly where others are more just Amish businesses serving Amish communities and customers. It sounds like you would benefit from dealing as direct as possible.

I enjoy going into the actual general stores where the local Amish shop as they have all sorts of items which you don't see any more in most retailers. Plus, the quality of the items is usually much better as the Amish themselves are the consumers for the items. If your better half is into sewing, quilting or crafts, she will likely be as happy as can be.

We have many Amish communities in the Elkhart, Indiana area and Southern Central Michigan. You can perform Google searches to help direct you to the areas where there are Amish and Mennonite communities to help direct you.

Amish State Guide

There are also Amish communities in Ontario Canada. Mrs. Bear collects Amish Quilts and I stopped at a rural farm house when I was on a Motorcycle trip and purchased several quilts and they shipped them home for me. When I pulled up to the house on a rural dirt road on my Harley, a young woman jumped on the bareback draft horse and rode it out of the field up to house to help me with the quilt selections.

Take lots of cash if you do this as cash talks and some of the best deals I have found are with small individuals who have a sign at the end of their driveway and they are making the items on site themselves. We have bought furniture this way as well as had some custom made. You might have to communicate with them by mail on custom projects but the end result is worth it. In every case, I have gotten what was promised, when promised at the cost agreed to. I had to arrange shipping but that's not a big deal....................

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
I've had the same bedroom set since 1976, and I bought it used! :laugh:
It's not red white and blue, is it?:good2:

One thing about buying quality furniture, whether its new or used, it lasts and lasts.

My wife showed me a flyer which was in the local paper the other day. A store was advertising 11 pieces of furniture for only $499 or $25 per month for 2 years...........(24 x $25 = $600). Just imagine the quality for $40 per item of furniture......

I guarantee you the people that purchase that furniture won't be saying in 2062, "I bought that in 2019 and I have had it ever since". 11 pieces of furniture for $499 likely won't make it the 24 months they give people to pay for it at the steep interest rates....:laugh::lol: But I am sure they have people buy it................

·
Premium Member
13,972 Posts
For us we travel about 200 miles and deal direct with the Amish man that made the furniture. If you have any Amish in your area , go visit talk to the fellows and you'll have a friend for life.
We had our entertainment center made by a Amish man close to 25 yrs ago. We talked with him last fall about changing the middle section so we can get a larger TV.
As you can see old TV quit and we put a spare TV on a TV tray for now. We want to add a set of drawers between the 2 doors , remove the 2 glass doors on top . All total making the cabinet about 15" wider. At present time it is one piece top to bottom, ONE HEAVY item. We are going to have the top and bottom separated. Everything is made of 3/4" cherry ,except for the back panel of 1/4" cherry plywood. When the 3 pieces were made cost us $1800. He told us cost would be $500-750 to change the design.

Except for the standup lamp and Wall clock , the furniture came from Amish.
IMO the only way to buy your furniture, you save Thousands by going to the maker, even in Ohio there is so much difference in price between the furniture stores.
On the main routes into to Berlin, Ohio there are guessing 20 stores that sell furniture. You can get a price say for a childs bedroom crib-bed set and then drive maybe 15 miles to a dealer on a side road and there will be $3-700 difference.
When we bought the furniture for the grandkids we found there was only one group that made the baby furniture because of the regulations for proper finish. We seen the same advertisement photos at all the stores and seen all kind of different prices.
We stopped at a store in Morgantown that sells Amish made furniture , (we see his truck picking up furniture at the same place these were being built) they would sell to a dealer not a individual . He paid wholesale for the crib-bed and had a $300 higher price than what we seen on the main road going toward Berlin. Meaning he would selling the item for at least a 100%-150% profit.
We made 2 trips one to order and one for pickup, even with both trips we still saved money. plus great fellowship.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,237 Posts
I am very fortunate to live near Amish settlements. There are quite a few towns that have small store fronts setup - propane lights and all. They employ a regular guy who makes all the arrangements with customers as far as calling them when their order is ready and meeting them at the warehouse when you pick up. He can also arrange deliveries if needed. He is like a liazon between the craftsman and customer.

We bought a beautiful oak dining room table/chairs some 20 years ago - still exactly the same today as when we had it made. Not even one chair part has come loose even with our extreme swings in humidity around here.

Of course true Amish craftsman do not do upholstery. If you see upholstered furniture that is “Amish Made” it certainly isn’t - at least around here.

We went to a local furniture store some years ago to buy a pair of recliners. What we ended up with were chairs where the works - the steel and wood frame - was Amish made. Then the chairs are shipped to an upholstery place where they are finished - then shipped to the store. What a huge difference in how the frames are made.

“Amish Made” has become a marketing key word. People see that term and think it must be good. But is it truly made by Amish craftsman? I would be suspect of anything in a retail store of any kind that said “Amish Made”.

·
Registered
625 Posts

One thing about buying quality furniture, whether its new or used, it lasts and lasts.
It looks like American colonial style, probably made in the 60's. It was supposed to have had smoke damage and was
replaced under home insurance from somebody my wife knew. We bought it, and I could never tell by looking or smelling it, that it had any smoke damage. We got it for a couple of hundred.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think its easier now, a lot of Amish have an arms length web presence working with those worldly Mennonites! :laugh:

We bought an Amish built entertainment center from these folks a few years ago. I am happy with the quality and the way they worked with us to built what i drew up for them. The dimensions were custom to fit into a wall space area and for the TV size. We also had picked the side shelving design and doors. They talked me out of cherry to a cherry finish on poplar. I'm not sorry, it looks fine and matches the other cherry furniture in the adjacent room. I can get some close up pics if you want when i get back.

Quality Hardwood Furniture - Dutch Home Furniture, Middletown, DE
While I am not specifically looking to have a "custom" bedroom set made, this is the sort of experience I would love to be able to leverage. Work directly with the maker(s) and get THEIR guidance on things like materials, finish, etc. Also, being able to leverage them in the future for repairs, changes, or additions is never a bad thing. I like the look of poplar, maple, and cherry in terms of their grain. I've had some very nice pieces of furniture that were cherry stain on cherry wood and absolutely love that look. I'm open to options, however, especially if there are some samples of the different options for me to look at.

Problem is they don’t have websites.

Best way is to go find one. I have a Mennonite casket maker down the street and up home in Northern, PA we had a couple of Amish operations that did new furniture and one that refurbished but you had to go see them to get work done.

Thier is an Amish store not far from sisters they have great spices and things I have not found anywhere else. They take credit cards but use the old impression machine. And they have a big old general store register with the pull handle on the side. They have an ice house and fresh pork two days a week and beef 1 Day a week. It,s awesome.
I completely agree, and that's what I'm hoping will ultimately come out of this thread - a way to find a place that I could potentially work with and buy from.

We've bought a bunch of stuff from these guys, some things they make themselves like the slab/live edge tables, and some stuff like chairs and drawers they get from large shops in Ohio. May not be as "direct" as you want, but they do make custom stuff, we had a bench and live edge table made to our specs, but also bought "off the floor" stuff too like our bedroom set ad a file cabinet for my office.

Twin Brook Furniture LLC |
There are a couple of items on this site that are intriguing, but it's an awfully long way to drive to ask "how much" (no indication of prices on the web site). I may try calling them to get a sense for what sort of pricing they have before making any kind of commitment beyond that.

There is a store in Russell Ma on rte 20 about 10 mi west of Westfield, I would go there and see what they got. I got a few things from them, all dealing, for both furniture and sheds/ small barn, have been top notch. Highly recommended.
I travel through that area regularly enough that I would be happy to stop in. Do you know (or can you find out) the name of the place and/or an address?

If you have the time, it might be worth a couple day trip to visit the Amish communities nearest to you directly. Some are set up to be more "tourist" friendly where others are more just Amish businesses serving Amish communities and customers. It sounds like you would benefit from dealing as direct as possible.

I enjoy going into the actual general stores where the local Amish shop as they have all sorts of items which you don't see any more in most retailers. Plus, the quality of the items is usually much better as the Amish themselves are the consumers for the items. If your better half is into sewing, quilting or crafts, she will likely be as happy as can be.

We have many Amish communities in the Elkhart, Indiana area and Southern Central Michigan. You can perform Google searches to help direct you to the areas where there are Amish and Mennonite communities to help direct you.

Amish State Guide

There are also Amish communities in Ontario Canada. Mrs. Bear collects Amish Quilts and I stopped at a rural farm house when I was on a Motorcycle trip and purchased several quilts and they shipped them home for me. When I pulled up to the house on a rural dirt road on my Harley, a young woman jumped on the bareback draft horse and rode it out of the field up to house to help me with the quilt selections.

Take lots of cash if you do this as cash talks and some of the best deals I have found are with small individuals who have a sign at the end of their driveway and they are making the items on site themselves. We have bought furniture this way as well as had some custom made. You might have to communicate with them by mail on custom projects but the end result is worth it. In every case, I have gotten what was promised, when promised at the cost agreed to. I had to arrange shipping but that's not a big deal....................
Thank you for that link. It definitely helps me to better understand where settlements are in my general area that I could potentially visit. Mohawk Valley area in NY is probably the overall closest / easiest for me to get to as a day trip, but I have no idea how to go about understanding whether or not there are shops that manufacture and sell furniture or not. Any tips on how to start getting this sort of information short of taking a drive?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Countryside woodcraft rte 20 Russell Ma. Heading west, left hand side, about 1.5 mi past state police barracks

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
As a reasonably talented woodworker who once had aspirations of making a living at it threads like this make me a bit sad. Quality work takes time and skill. Tough to really make a decent living in a world that wants hand built quality at import prices. I don't blame you for wanting the best deal, but I do ask that you consider the impact.

·
Premium Member
13,972 Posts
As a reasonably talented woodworker who once had aspirations of making a living at it threads like this make me a bit sad. Quality work takes time and skill. Tough to really make a decent living in a world that wants hand built quality at import prices. I don't blame you for wanting the best deal, but I do ask that you consider the impact.
Agree, a talented woodworker can make lots of :gizmo::gizmo:

One thing we are missing in all this discussion , wages.

As the Amish calls us English worker wants and expects $25-50 maybe $75 an hour. Because they have all the fed's and state regulations plus SS taxes and everything else the government want.

The Amish has expenses yes same as us , instead of a electric bill maybe a generator running for lights mostly Lp lights or now solar, a large air compressor running for their tools.
Heating can either be a wood stove or other type heat either lp or fuel oil.
No insurance ,because they take care of each other.
Yes they pay taxes but not into SS
There transportation cost believe it or not cost about the same as ours if your buying a $35-45000 vehicle , with the cost of horses and their buggies.
Groceries about the same price we pay, but they grow and can a lot of their food.
They like nice things the same as us but where we buy $150 trousers with holes in them for our kids,, They patch the holes in their kids pants, coat or shirt. Yes they dress up the same as us.
Several years ago guessing 5 , 2 former coworkers have Amish living on 3 sides of their property. His wife had a Amish neighbor girl come and help her clean the house. Judy gave the girl $10.00 for part of a days help. Her husband told her NOOOOOO, you can't pay her that much. The boys working the hay fields or helping build fence only get $1 or 2 for working 8-12 hr day.
Needless to say there was a lot of conflict in the house for some time.

My point is the Amish are not accustom to $30 a hr wages even $10 an hour wages.
Till Wayne Dalton Garage doors , built a factory in the middle of Amish country they had little clue of what most English was making for wages. The Amish in Mt Hope and surrounding area have lost of there young kids to Wayne Dalton , because they can go to work 8 or 10 hrs a day and make double or more what there parents or grandparents made working the farm.
Yes there is a very large brick factory and other companies or factories but they are in smaller towns with English working a lot of those jobs.

As I posted about our entertainment center, we paid $1800 .. yes made two trips ,but wife and I enjoyed the long weekends trips.
If a worker around here , and I knew of no one, or had bought a factory made unit the price we were looking at was over $3500.00

Our L shaped desk with hutch on top same, $1200 ver close to $2000 , dinning room table, end tables, all were cheaper and IMO better made than a factory made. Yep they use Kreg Jigs, and all the newer tools.

Yes Kenny and others buying from the dealers going into Ohio or Pa or other Amish locations they are buying about the same price I pay when talking to the man who made the furniture and of course you are then paying for his trip, hotel rooms, plus his building or rental space and all the other expenses that a business pays to keep the doors open.

·
Registered
487 Posts

My wife showed me a flyer which was in the local paper the other day. A store was advertising 11 pieces of furniture for only $499 or $25 per month for 2 years...........(24 x $25 = $600). Just imagine the quality for $40 per item of furniture......

I guarantee you the people that purchase that furniture won't be saying in 2062, "I bought that in 2019 and I have had it ever since". 11 pieces of furniture for $499 likely won't make it the 24 months they give people to pay for it at the steep interest rates....:laugh::lol: But I am sure they have people buy it................
I agree with you, best to buy quality once and be done. I had co-worker explain to me that the reason people buy cheap furniture is cause they like to have new and different stuff every couple of years.:dunno:

·
Registered
21,237 Posts
Agree, a talented woodworker can make lots of :gizmo::gizmo:

One thing we are missing in all this discussion , wages.

As the Amish calls us English worker wants and expects $25-50 maybe $75 an hour. Because they have all the fed's and state regulations plus SS taxes and everything else the government want.

The Amish has expenses yes same as us , instead of a electric bill maybe a generator running for lights mostly Lp lights or now solar, a large air compressor running for their tools.
Heating can either be a wood stove or other type heat either lp or fuel oil.
No insurance ,because they take care of each other.
Yes they pay taxes but not into SS
There transportation cost believe it or not cost about the same as ours if your buying a $35-45000 vehicle , with the cost of horses and their buggies.
Groceries about the same price we pay, but they grow and can a lot of their food.
They like nice things the same as us but where we buy $150 trousers with holes in them for our kids,, They patch the holes in their kids pants, coat or shirt. Yes they dress up the same as us.
Several years ago guessing 5 , 2 former coworkers have Amish living on 3 sides of their property. His wife had a Amish neighbor girl come and help her clean the house. Judy gave the girl $10.00 for part of a days help. Her husband told her NOOOOOO, you can't pay her that much. The boys working the hay fields or helping build fence only get $1 or 2 for working 8-12 hr day.
Needless to say there was a lot of conflict in the house for some time.

My point is the Amish are not accustom to $30 a hr wages even $10 an hour wages.
Till Wayne Dalton Garage doors , built a factory in the middle of Amish country they had little clue of what most English was making for wages. The Amish in Mt Hope and surrounding area have lost of there young kids to Wayne Dalton , because they can go to work 8 or 10 hrs a day and make double or more what there parents or grandparents made working the farm.
Yes there is a very large brick factory and other companies or factories but they are in smaller towns with English working a lot of those jobs.

As I posted about our entertainment center, we paid $1800 .. yes made two trips ,but wife and I enjoyed the long weekends trips.
If a worker around here , and I knew of no one, or had bought a factory made unit the price we were looking at was over $3500.00

Our L shaped desk with hutch on top same, $1200 ver close to $2000 , dinning room table, end tables, all were cheaper and IMO better made than a factory made. Yep they use Kreg Jigs, and all the newer tools.

Yes Kenny and others buying from the dealers going into Ohio or Pa or other Amish locations they are buying about the same price I pay when talking to the man who made the furniture and of course you are then paying for his trip, hotel rooms, plus his building or rental space and all the other expenses that a business pays to keep the doors open.
That’s a good assessment of the Amish around our area also.

What is also neat in my opinion - my father in law is a driver for a large extended Amish family and has become close friends with the father. I have learned a lot more about them through him as he spends a lot of time with him. If there is anything I need he knows where there are tin smiths, copper smiths, blacksmiths, and on and on. To see the attention to detail from these craftsmen in their little shops in their barns is just astounding.

Quite a few of them sell their good through third parties. Some ship their goods all over the country. Like I said about the furniture store near us - they have a liazon that will put their goods on the internet and take care of getting payment and shipping.

One of the older kids of the family raises Bernese Mountain dogs. Long story short - a lady from Alaska bought one. My father in law had to take him and the pup to Philadelphia to put the pup in an airplane to be delivered.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts