Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, so I've been lurking here for a couple of months, reading up and learning about tractors. The reason why is kind of a long story. I've read enough here to know that this community is very friendly and helpful, but I also learned that if I really want answers (or validation in this case), you guys are going to need to know as much as I can share. So, here we go....

My wife and I recently (3 years ago) moved from our Condo to a house we had built in the Connecticut country side. We have just over 3 acres. About 1/2 of it is grass, the other half woods. Our house is on top of a hill. The change in elevation from the street to our back yard is about 50'. Our driveway is 320' long, 9' wide at the bottom, 38' wide at the top with an incline that reaches 10%. That's 7,500 square feet of asphalt. We love living here, but there is a lot of work to do. Luckily, both of us are not afraid of work and we are very capable.

As we were getting ready to move in a friend of mine was getting ready to move out of his house into an apartment (divorce). He was selling a Cub Cadet LT-1050 riding lawn tractor. 20hp, hydrostatic trans, 50" deck, it was in great shape, the price was right and my buddy needed cash so we bought it. It's a nice lawn mower. We have a utility trailer and we have moved a lot of top soil, mulch, stones, pavers, firewood, etc... with it. It's been a life saver with these hills. Well, as you could imagine, in just three years of that kind of use, the transmission is not happy. It's growling and refuses to climb some of the hills that it used to go up with ease. I've taken the transmission out to change the oil (there is no drain plug or replaceable filter), and what came out of the fill hole confirmed that the transmission is done. (Dark black oil with a constant stream of silver dust). I started reading up on that transmission, and it's really a disposable unit (they call it "Maintenance Free"). A replacement is $589. That's just a little less than I paid for the used tractor. If I replace it, and continue to use the machine the way we have, it's just a matter of time before it's shot again. So that revelation brought me to John Deere.

I started my quest looking for a new Lawn Tractor that was heavier duty than the Home Depot special Cub Cadet. Something that had a serviceable transmission with replaceable filter. While we're at it, 4 wheel drive would be nice because there are some slopes here that we simply can't cut with the CC. It just can't get traction. If I try to go straight up, the rear wheel (1) starts spinning and digs a hole. If I go straight down it will leave two skid marks all the way down as the rear wheel won't hook up and the tractor races to a high speed where it's not cutting the grass well. So yeah, 4 wheel drive is a must. It would also be nice if it could help with our tree work. We have a wood burning fireplace and just the trees that dies of natural causes around here keep us busy and full of firewood. So if it could help us move firewood that would be great. Oh, hey... What about the driveway... Our snow removal efforts are pretty serious in the winter. We have two snow blowers, his and hers, but since we're talking 4 wheel drive, maybe a nicer machine could help us with the snow removal. You see where this is going, right...?

So, after sliding down this slippery slope, we just ordered a 1025R with a 60" MMM deck, H-120 FEL, 54" Snow Blower attachment and R4 Turf Tires. The kid in me is really excited. The adult in me realizes that I just bought a tractor that cost more than most of the cars that I've owned. Have I lost my mind...?!? I expect to receive our new JD right around election day. I am very anxious and hope that it lives up to our expectations. If it does, I'm OK with it.

Do you guys think I made a mistake? Does my configuration makes sense? Should I throw in a set of forks? Did I miss anything?

·
Administrator
20,916 Posts
Mistake? I think not. I think you'll be grinning ear to ear as you can easily accomplish the chores you set out to do. Then you'll be looking for more work and more attachments!

Congrats on your new :greentractorride:

·
Administrator
18,346 Posts
Have I lost my mind...?!?
Why yes, absolutely :laugh: But it's OK since most everyone else here has also.

I think you made a great choice, the 1-series sounds like a perfect fit for you and your property, welcome to GTT and the big leagues. :good2:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,867 Posts
OK, so I've been lurking here for a couple of months, reading up and learning about tractors. The reason why is kind of a long story. I've read enough here to know that this community is very friendly and helpful, but I also learned that if I really want answers (or validation in this case), you guys are going to need to know as much as I can share. So, here we go....

My wife and I recently (3 years ago) moved from our Condo to a house we had built in the Connecticut country side. We have just over 3 acres. About 1/2 of it is grass, the other half woods. Our house is on top of a hill. The change in elevation from the street to our back yard is about 50'. Our driveway is 320' long, 9' wide at the bottom, 38' wide at the top with an incline that reaches 10%. That's 7,500 square feet of asphalt. We love living here, but there is a lot of work to do. Luckily, both of us are not afraid of work and we are very capable.

As we were getting ready to move in a friend of mine was getting ready to move out of his house into an apartment (divorce). He was selling a Cub Cadet LT-1050 riding lawn tractor. 20hp, hydrostatic trans, 50" deck, it was in great shape, the price was right and my buddy needed cash so we bought it. It's a nice lawn mower. We have a utility trailer and we have moved a lot of top soil, mulch, stones, pavers, firewood, etc... with it. It's been a life saver with these hills. Well, as you could imagine, in just three years of that kind of use, the transmission is not happy. It's growling and refuses to climb some of the hills that it used to go up with ease. I've taken the transmission out to change the oil (there is no drain plug or replaceable filter), and what came out of the fill hole confirmed that the transmission is done. (Dark black oil with a constant stream of silver dust). I started reading up on that transmission, and it's really a disposable unit (they call it "Maintenance Free"). A replacement is $589. That's just a little less than I paid for the used tractor. If I replace it, and continue to use the machine the way we have, it's just a matter of time before it's shot again. So that revelation brought me to John Deere.

I started my quest looking for a new Lawn Tractor that was heavier duty than the Home Depot special Cub Cadet. Something that had a serviceable transmission with replaceable filter. While we're at it, 4 wheel drive would be nice because there are some slopes here that we simply can't cut with the CC. It just can't get traction. If I try to go straight up, the rear wheel (1) starts spinning and digs a hole. If I go straight down it will leave two skid marks all the way down as the rear wheel won't hook up and the tractor races to a high speed where it's not cutting the grass well. So yeah, 4 wheel drive is a must. It would also be nice if it could help with our tree work. We have a wood burning fireplace and just the trees that dies of natural causes around here keep us busy and full of firewood. So if it could help us move firewood that would be great. Oh, hey... What about the driveway... Our snow removal efforts are pretty serious in the winter. We have two snow blowers, his and hers, but since we're talking 4 wheel drive, maybe a nicer machine could help us with the snow removal. You see where this is going, right...?

So, after sliding down this slippery slope, we just ordered a 1025R with a 60" MMM deck, H-120 FEL, 54" Snow Blower attachment and R4 Turf Tires. The kid in me is really excited. The adult in me realizes that I just bought a tractor that cost more than most of the cars that I've owned. Have I lost my mind...?!? I expect to receive our new JD right around election day. I am very anxious and hope that it lives up to our expectations. If it does, I'm OK with it.

Do you guys think I made a mistake?
Welcome to GTT Gator Bite.
I think you are going to be pleasantly comfortable with your decision. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Great purchase. You won't regret it. Be careful on side hills if moving stuff with the loader. Look at weight options, like loading the rear tires. For the firewood you'll probably end up wanting forks. And consider a loader plow too for those quick clean ups when it isn't worth the full switch. I use my homemade loader plow more than the frame mount plow or front blower just to save switching. I use the loader to bring firewood to the house every week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
I think you made an excellent choice and I really doubt you will regret buying the 1025r. You are going to keep asking yourself why you waited so long to make the deal. For myself, I wished I would have bought a subcompact many years before I ever did.

Congrats on your new 1025R.

·
Premium Member
5,091 Posts
Well my response would be "not at all, you've moved up a notch or two". I don't believe you'll be sorry . . . You will be impressed with the 1025R, it's capabilities as compared to your previous machine, and you'll find many more uses for the :greentractorride:.

Have fun, be careful . . . . :kidw_truck_smiley:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great purchase. You won't regret it. Be careful on side hills if moving stuff with the loader. Look at weight options, like loading the rear tires. For the firewood you'll probably end up wanting forks. And consider a loader plow too for those quick clean ups when it isn't worth the full switch. I use my homemade loader plow more than the frame mount plow or front blower just to save switching. I use the loader to bring firewood to the house every week.
I was/am on the fence about the forks. At this point, it's a pretty cheap add on. I haven't signed the deal yet, so I suspect I can still add these to my build and get them in under the interest free financing. I'm having trouble imagining what I'd use them for. So, tell me how you use your forks... Pictures are even better.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I use them for everything. My firewood is on pallets so I move a pallet up onto my deck onto dollies. Roll it right next to the door. I used the forks the other day to pick up piles of vegetation when cleaning out the garden. I used them to lift a trailer I'm painting to get it onto jack stands. Was easier than dragging out the floor jack. Moved big rocks to build a fire ring and seats. When pallets of flooring were delivered the fed ex guy was pumped to not have to unload each box. The list is endless.

·
Registered
212 Posts
[/QUOTE]

Do you guys think I made a mistake? Does my configuration makes sense? Should I throw in a set of forks? Did I miss anything?[/QUOTE]

I had a very similar situation. I had the same feelings after signing on the line. But knew I did my research and also lurked on this forum for a while.

Well all I can say is everyday I find something else this machine can do. I think the best reactions have been from my Father in law. We bought his house and each week he comes over and talks about how much longer and harder mowing and snowblowing were without a proper tractor.

The best times are when I can plow the drive in 30 mins where it used to take him multiple hours cover in snow with the blower.

1026r win.....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23,105 Posts
Don't overthink it - I know I am terrible about that myself. You did your research and chose what I think is the perfect machine for your property.

Take your time and get used to it - and be safe. Don't be afraid to ask questions here as you go along - there is no such thing as a stupid question here at GTT.

And when talking forks - all of us who have them find them much more useful than the bucket. Do yourself a favor with that and look at the Artillian line.

Artillian Tractor Attachments - Light-Weight Heavy-Duty Pallet Forks for John Deere Subcompact & Compact Tractors

Artillian Tractor

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I have basically the same rig, same snowblower and mower, it is very powerful and capable and I have not been disappointed.

That said, to get the maximum satisfaction I'd suggest reading up on the various things to check, tighten, adjust etc, address the hydraulic steering hose rubbing issue, and disable the RIO.

:greentractorride:

Congrats and welcome!

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Welcome to GTT. Didn't see any mention of a ballast box or something else to counter balance whatever you use the FEL for especially should you decide to get forks. Wheel weighs and/or fluid filled tires will help with stability and traction if you find it necessary, but stay away from calcium chloride. Like most you will be amazed what these little beasties can do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,921 Posts
Congrats on your choice of tractor, going to be a big step forward from your old Cub Cadet.

Welcome from Preston County, West Virginia

:wgtt:

A few thoughts ,Noticed no chains, living on a hill side doing your driveway thinking you will need some.

Another thing you mentioned FEL , I see no listing for a ballast box,,,,that is a must or at least some form of weight on the rear of tractor when using your FEL. You'll learn real quick keep the bucket low to the ground when going across your yard and always have tractor in 4wd going down a hill.
Another question r4 turf tirs , so which tires are you getting ? R4 tires are a angle tread,,, turf are a smoother type tire with groves.

IMO get the 54" deck instead of the 60" ,,just remember to keep the gauge wheels touching or just 1/8" off the ground.

Enjoy your new tractor.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welcome to GTT. Didn't see any mention of a ballast box or something else to counter balance whatever you use the FEL for especially should you decide to get forks. Wheel weighs and/or fluid filled tires will help with stability and traction if you find it necessary, but stay away from calcium chloride. Like most you will be amazed what these little beasties can do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using Tapatalk
Congrats on your choice of tractor, going to be a big step forward from your old Cub Cadet.

Welcome from Preston County, West Virginia

:wgtt:

A few thoughts ,Noticed no chains, living on a hill side doing your driveway thinking you will need some.

Another thing you mentioned FEL , I see no listing for a ballast box,,,,that is a must or at least some form of weight on the rear of tractor when using your FEL. You'll learn real quick keep the bucket low to the ground when going across your yard and always have tractor in 4wd going down a hill.
Another question r4 turf tirs , so which tires are you getting ? R4 tires are a angle tread,,, turf are a smoother type tire with groves.

IMO get the 54" deck instead of the 60" ,,just remember to keep the gauge wheels touching or just 1/8" off the ground.

Enjoy your new tractor.
Thanks guys.

Though I didn't mention it, I will be getting the ballast box with the FEL. My dealer was matter of fact about it.

I thought about wheel weights, fluid, and chains but decided to proceed with the Turf tires (I may have miss typed, I thought they were R4s, my mistake). I actually contemplated getting a set of Turf Wheels and a set of Industrial Wheels. I was planning to swap them twice a year, using the industrial wheels for winter, turf wheels for summer. My dealer recommended a set of chains instead. Because we have a brand new driveway and garage slab, I want to try to live without the chains (worried they may damage them) and see how it does. I may discover I need them.

·
Super Moderator
5,214 Posts
The adult in me realizes that I just bought a tractor that cost more than most of the cars that I've owned. Have I lost my mind...?!?
There is no reason that 1025R shouldn't out-live you. Can you say the same for the cars you've bought?

Do you guys think I made a mistake? Does my configuration makes sense? Should I throw in a set of forks? Did I miss anything?
Your configuration is pretty much "standard" for people in the northern half of the country. Folks down south don't usually have as much need for the snowblower.

And I think you'll find that things you couldn't do with the lawn tractor will now be entirely possible. Adding a set of forks will just expand the possibilities.

Stop "adulting" and be excited like your kid! :laugh: If we get a couple of big snowstorms this winter you'll be out there having a blast with it. You can make some really bog snow piles for the kids to build forts in!

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
NO you didn't make a mistake. You'll be surprised what a 1025r can do. I sure have been with mine. The amount of work it can do still surprises me.

I'll also throw a vote in for the Artillon forks. I don't even own a set yet but those are the ones I'm buying when the time comes.

Kudos to your dealer for insisting on a ballast box. Sounds like they know what they are doing.

I waited a month for mine to be delivered, I was like kid on Christmas morning when it arrived.

Enjoy your new tractor and we want pictures when you get it.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts