Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new house has a much larger driveway, and the old single stage snow blower just ain't cutting it.

I've thought about a blade or snow blower for my x750, but my shop/shed is behind the house, and it's only grass from there to front of house. Not enough room to keep the x750 in the garage, but would have enough room for a snow blower. I'm thinking two stage.

I've seen a John Deere 826 2-Stage HEAVY DUTY Snow Blower for $375, and another 826 for $300. There is a 524 for $275 (these are FB marketplace, and of course, I can talk them down).

It's been a long time since I purchased a snow blower. I want two stage for sure.

What are the good JD snow blowers, which to stay away from.

I'm not in a rush, and can certainly wait until spring / summer to get one. Thanks, Daubs

Reactions: tj1

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
I think I would make room first before buying a walk behind.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I would make room first before buying a walk behind.
I've got room in the garage for a walk behind. And can store it in shed/shop in the off season.

Don't have room in the garage for the x750...it sleeps in the shed/shop.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
If I was going to buy a walk behind snow blower it would be an Ariens pro . I have a 36” Ariens that I keep at the cabine. I take care of my parents place when they head south for the winter. Dad has a 28” Ariens that I use on his driveway. The walk behinds work well in soft snow up to a foot or so. They suck on hard packed snow. A walk behind is good for smaller driveways.

I haul my tractor up to the cabine and to my parents place for the heavy snowfalls, but the walk behinds do fine for the average snowfalls. The walk behind is actually faster on my dads driveway due to maneuverability issues with the tractor.

Reactions: BigJim55 and tj1

·
Premium Member
4,547 Posts
I've got room in the garage for a walk behind. And can store it in shed/shop in the off season.

Don't have room in the garage for the x750...it sleeps in the shed/shop.
You can always keep the blower up an inch or two off the grass. I have a shed I do with my blower and I never scalp the grass at all and my propane tank is also cleared for fill ups.. No reason if you have room in the shed with he blower on not to go that route. Two stage for sure! If you have a cab that's the only way to go.... nice and warm and in comfort with the Machine too.
I have no comment on the JD blowers that will fit your machine, (I'm a little biased because of a quality control issue with mine),, lots of posts in this regard though...

·
Premium Member
13,101 Posts
You can always keep the blower up an inch or two off the grass. I have a shed I do with my blower and I never scalp the grass at all and my propane tank is also cleared for fill ups.. No reason if you have room in the shed with he blower on not to go that route. Two stage for sure! If you have a cab that's the only way to go.... nice and warm and in comfort with the Machine too.
I have no comment on the JD blowers that will fit your machine, (I'm a little biased because of a quality control issue with mine),, lots of posts in this regard though...
That's for sure! I have the 54" blower on the front of my 2720 and I snow blow my yard all the time. I clear a path around the entire perimeter of the house in case there is an emergency. I also blow clear a path from the back porch to the drive way. Just raise it up off the ground slightly.

Once when we had 30" of snow I blew clear 3/4 of my back yard as I knew it would take forever to melt otherwise and I wanted early access to where I park the vehicles. :)

·
Premium Member
13,101 Posts
If I was going to buy a walk behind snow blower it would be an Ariens pro . I have a 36” Ariens that I keep at the cabine. I take care of my parents place when they head south for the winter. Dad has a 28” Ariens that I use on his driveway. The walk behinds work well in soft snow up to a foot or so. They suck on hard packed snow. A walk behind is good for smaller driveways.

I haul my tractor up to the cabine and to my parents place for the heavy snowfalls, but the walk behinds do fine for the average snowfalls. The walk behind is actually faster on my dads driveway due to maneuverability issues with the tractor.
Make sure Ariens has corrected their design flaw that exists on some recent machines. They changed the way the front plastic belt cover fits and it allows melted snow to run down the front of the engine and get on the rubber drive wheel - making the blower unable to move forward or backwards. I saw some YouTube videos on the subject from folks who had older Ariens which they were very happy with only to get a new one and have the drive problems.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Make sure Ariens has corrected their design flaw that exists on some recent machines. They changed the way the front plastic belt cover fits and it allows melted snow to run down the front of the engine and get on the rubber drive wheel - making the blower unable to move forward or backwards. I saw some YouTube videos on the subject from folks who had older Ariens which they were very happy with only to get a new one and have the drive problems.
I haven’t heard of this before. But I do know Ariens sells a few different lines of blowers , some are sold at the box stores and aren’t the same quality as the top of the line pro models. I noticed Fleet Farm had a 28” Ariens for under $1,000 . I think the the pro models are almost $3000 at the dealer.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
If I were to buy a new walk behind blower, it would be a tracked Honda with they hydro drive.
Plenty of traction and power, just slow your ground speed to match snow depth.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
I was at my local dealer earlier this week to pick up some filters and oil for BadAss and we got into a discussion about how reliable and awesome the Honda snowblowers are..... Says he sells a ton of them and he only ever did any warranty work on one seven years after he started selling them.... That's pretty amazing in my book!

Sincerely

·
Premium Member
13,101 Posts
If I were to buy a new walk behind blower, it would be a tracked Honda with they hydro drive.
Plenty of traction and power, just slow your ground speed to match snow depth.
They are nice. Sure beats the little rubber drive tire although I must admit that in 25 years I've only replaced the tire on my MTD once. The tracked hydrostatic Honda blowers are around $3000.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
They are nice. Sure beats the little rubber drive tire although I must admit that in 25 years I've only replaced the tire on my MTD once. The tracked hydrostatic Honda blowers are around $3000.
I hear ya. I still have my 10 year old craftsman walk behind, and the extended warranty has paid for itself in replacement parts!
Dad has a Honda hydro w tracks at work and brought it home once, wow what a machine. If that’s your only way of moving snow, and you can afford it, it’s worth double the money of a craftsman etc. My opinion of course.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I had one the year before i bought the 1025. It was an absolute beast.
I sold it to a friend i was working for at the time when i got the tractor. He was from Buffalo and they just had a major blizzard. He took it home to help dig out his dad.

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
I have a ~20 year old Ariens 824 24" model #932101 that I still use today for clearing the front walk and making a path for the oil delivery guy, as well as walking paths for the dog to go out and doo his business. I had to do some major work on it about ten years ago to replace the drive pulley and re-gear the machine as the original factory speeds were too fast.....

Article 24: More Snow Blower Recommendations — Jay's Power Equipment

Sincerely

Reactions: DaubsNU1

·
Premium Member
854 Posts

I did a lot of research and toying with the Ariens and Honda before I bought my first one 4 years ago. The was just incredibly slow if You needed to transport it from the shed. There were also significant complaints about the chute clogging on the 928 model which only leaves the big one as an option.

I knew I wanted EFI and back 4 years ago Ariens had the EFI out for one year and only on on model, it wasn't a pro sadly enough. I picked up the Ariens Platinum SHO EFI 24" and man could that thing toss snow. The following year Ariens released the EFI on the pro models. My dealer called me when he got one in knowing I wasn't going to say no. I resisted for 6mo and then in the fall sold mine. I picked up the Hydro Pro 28" EFI. That thing was a dream as well, hydro is so sweet. All summer I'd let it sit and in the fall with a single pull it would come alive. It sure drank fuel though and that tank size was a weakness. It was only sold because we were moving to a house with a large driveway and the wife didn't want me outside for hours snowplowing, she said plow it or get a bigger snowblower.

Reactions: DaubsNU1
1 - 15 of 15 Posts