Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anybody hear reports of power issues or excessive scalping with this set up? It's a 31hp gas engine. I'm in MO and we see a good amount of rain in spring. Grass grows quick. I want to chomp thru it at a decent speed :) Also, I am getting the Tweels. My thoughts are in addition to all the selling points (no flats, better ride, better traction due to increase surface area contact, longevity, etc) I won't have to maintain proper tire air pressure which should help with a more level deck.?.?

PS- I know the 997 is the best but I like sleeping in my bed. Thx. Specs in link below.

https://www.deere.com/en_US/products/equipment/z_trak_mowers/ztrak_z900m_series/z960m/z960m.page

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Anybody hear reports of power issues or excessive scalping with this set up? It's a 31hp gas engine. I'm in MO and we see a good amount of rain in spring. Grass grows quick. I want to chomp thru it at a decent speed :) Also, I am getting the Tweels. My thoughts are in addition to all the selling points (no flats, better ride, better traction due to increase surface area contact, longevity, etc) I won't have to maintain proper tire air pressure which should help with a more level deck.?.?

PS- I know the 997 is the best but I like sleeping in my bed. Thx. Specs in link below.

https://www.deere.com/en_US/products/equipment/z_trak_mowers/ztrak_z900m_series/z960m/z960m.page
Unless you're wiling to move to the doghouse for a 997, then that setup sounds great!!

I suppose you could look at a used 997, or maybe even an orange one???

-J.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unless you're wiling to move to the doghouse for a 997, then that setup sounds great!!

I suppose you could look at a used 997, or maybe even an orange one???

-J.
I've been in the doghouse...it's bad on the back. I hope this set up works well. I currently mow with an old Z425 48" deck I've had for about 9 years and a two year old 1025r with 60D MMM. The little Z is good for around the house and the 1025r will cut thru anything but mows like a tractor (for good reason). 1025r's are kinda notorious for leaving ridge lines, etc. I've level'd the 1025r several times, messed with tire air pressure, max'd out the mow height, set the anti-scalp wheels in every possible position and still not what I am looking for in a $20k+ machine (several threads on this site explaining it much better). So, time to get a mower. I want my weekends back. THX!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been in the doghouse...it's bad on the back. I hope this set up works well. I currently mow with an old Z425 48" deck I've had for about 9 years and a two year old 1025r with 60D MMM. The little Z is good for around the house and the 1025r will cut thru anything but mows like a tractor (for good reason). 1025r's are kinda notorious for leaving ridge lines, etc. I've level'd the 1025r several times, messed with tire air pressure, max'd out the mow height, set the anti-scalp wheels in every possible position and still not what I am looking for in a $20k+ machine (several threads on this site explaining it much better). So, time to get a mower. I want my weekends back. THX!!

PS- Orange is blasphemy, hahahaha.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,190 Posts
I'm old school, I have mixed feelings on the Tweels. I think with some of my mowing they would fill up with dirt/mud and stuff and I normally get stuck at least once a year.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,147 Posts
Got a 997 with the 72" deck, 31 HP Yanmar diesel engine, only problem with the 997 it's a heavy sucker with the diesel, right around a ton.
I doesn't like wet or damp ground.

Really don't have scalping problems, normally mow at the 3 or 3 1/4 height position, gives a great looking finish cut at full tilt, 11 - 12 MPH.

Would imagine a gasoline job at 31 HP should do the same and be a little lighter.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Got a 997 with the 72" deck, 31 HP Yanmar diesel engine, only problem with the 997 it's a heavy sucker with the diesel, right around a ton.
I doesn't like wet or damp ground.

Really don't have scalping problems, normally mow at the 3 or 3 1/4 height position, gives a great looking finish cut at full tilt, 11 - 12 MPH.

Would imagine a gasoline job at 31 HP should do the same and be a little lighter.
Tried to delete my question. I had asked about the differences in the decks on the 900 series but the JD site does a great job of explaining. I think we are going to give the 915E a shot. We have relatively flat ground and it's far from golf course quality so lack of rear anti scalp wheels not an issue. Like to have them-but then a 920M is $1500 more. Our dealer shot us a price under 8k for a new 915e with 54" deck and iso seat. I like Kohler motors and realize they smoke. Years ago I had a JD lawn tractor with a 25hp Kohler. Worked great!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts