Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4b4522e2d4f771397172f7840f645ac7l-m0xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg 4b4522e2d4f771397172f7840f645ac7l-m3xd-w640_h480_q80.jpg 0023_649569753_large.jpg

i have my mind made up that i want a Deere , my problem is what model do i need for this hill in the front yard. i believe the guy before me had a industrial stand behind of some sort. i'm looking at the 300 sires stuff because the 500's are out of my price range for now. this pic of the front is the worst of it ........it looks like less of an incline than it really is . im thinking a 380 will walk up it but id like your advice. maybe just always go down hill ???... i really just want to be safe

first time home owner that only cut flat surfaces with a ranch king lol any help is greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Buy one size up from what you think you need. If it were me I would look at the 1025R with or without front end loader. You never have too much tractor. :greentractorride:

·
Premium Member
10,958 Posts
Buy one size up from what you think you need. If it were me I would look at the 1025R with or without front end loader. You never have too much tractor. :greentractorride:
But the OP already stated a X500 is out of his price range. I think a X380 would do just fine on that property.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
But the OP already stated a X500 is out of his price range. I think a X380 would do just fine on that property.
I think the X380 would be fine, My thinking is once you have one you find more things to do with them. The one series with 0% is hard to beat. Last year my brother bought a X730 and at Christmas he was lamenting not having a 3pt.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I would base it on the acres and footage you have and what you want to do with your tractor first and then think about your budget next.Talk to your local Deere dealer first they should be able to help you get a idea of what you might need

https://www.deere.com/en/tractors/utility-tractors/

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Safety wise, any model will do. But since you seem to like the 380, I would go for that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would base it on the acres and footage you have and what you want to do with your tractor first and then think about your budget next.Talk to your local Deere dealer first they should be able to help you get a idea of what you might need
I'd have to agree with this. I started off with a 01 LT 155 with a 38" deck on a 2 acre lawn. It took on average 2 hours to do it but I also enjoy it. The LT easily handled it, though after two seasons I was ready for a larger deck and upgraded to a 48". My lawn is not as even as yours, though I do have some incline in the back section of it.

I also live within my means and a new tractor wasn't out of the question...but I do not like payments and have no payments on anything except a mortgage.

I could see myself upgrading to a larger machine possibly in the future to do more things like stone walls and move dirt around, but not there yet.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Safety wise, any model will do. But since you seem to like the 380, I would go for that.
I concur. I also think the 380 will go up the hill down the hill and sideways across the hill no issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd have to agree with this. I started off with a 01 LT 155 with a 38" deck on a 2 acre lawn. It took on average 2 hours to do it but I also enjoy it. The LT easily handled it, though after two seasons I was ready for a larger deck and upgraded to a 48". My lawn is not as even as yours, though I do have some incline in the back section of it.

I also live within my means and a new tractor wasn't out of the question...but I do not like payments and have no payments on anything except a mortgage.

I could see myself upgrading to a larger machine possibly in the future to do more things like stone walls and move dirt around, but not there yet.
yea i pay for everything upfront as well. thanks for the insight with this

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Before you go too far, go to the dealer and drive some of the Garden tractors and mowers and see how you fit. And DON'T just drive them around the parking lot.....unless you plan to mow asphalt.:laugh:

See how they handle bumps in the dealership's property. See how you fit on the unit.

ALso keep an eye on Craigslist as there are many who under buy and have low hour machines they are looking to sell to move up. More people underbuy their mowers and lawn tractors than over buy......Dont make that mistake.

Once you have tried them out and KNOW what fits and what doesn't, then get more serious about the discussion. With a incline to mow, you want a REAL HYDROSTATIC drive unit, hopefully made by Tuff Torque. No plastic gears or cases. Talk to the dealer about this.

Think about how you plan to use the machine? Are you going to need a snowblower? How about a plow? Or is mowing the only thing you plan to do with this machine?
Also, if your going to be exclusively mowing with it, consider a Zero Turn. They are pretty much single purpose machines, but they are excellent at what they do.........You can put a hitch on the zero turn and pull a fertilizer spreader and a reasonable utility cart. The blade tip speed on a Zero turn will produce an excellent cut.

No matter what you buy, buy it from a dealer who will work with you in the future. Don't try and cut the dealer out to save a few dollars (some first time buyers try to do this online and it's often a very costly error in the long run) and chances are you will need them down the road.

Let us know what you think and decide.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Be sure to check out the all wheel steer models in the x300 line. We replaced our old SST18 with a new x394 and I like the way it handles. Very good at trimming around plantings & trees and very stable on a bank. I think the good handling on a bank comes from both a wider rear wheel stance & the all wheel steering. I went with the x394 rather than the x384 to get the upgrade to power steering & lift plus a serviceable HST unit (can change fluid & filter).

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
I mow a very similar hill with my D160. Any of the x300 machines will handle that with ease. Go with what you like. :good2:

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
View attachment 593498 View attachment 593506 View attachment 593514

i have my mind made up that i want a Deere , my problem is what model do i need for this hill in the front yard. i believe the guy before me had a industrial stand behind of some sort. i'm looking at the 300 sires stuff because the 500's are out of my price range for now. this pic of the front is the worst of it ........it looks like less of an incline than it really is . im thinking a 380 will walk up it but id like your advice. maybe just always go down hill ???... i really just want to be safe

first time home owner that only cut flat surfaces with a ranch king lol any help is greatly appreciated
An a X380 should Be able to handle You yard just fine. But if You are worried at all What about a Late Model Used X500 series which could have at least 2 to 3 years of warranty left On it This dealer Has several 2017 X570's In the same price range as a X380 with a 54inch deck Riding mowers For Sale » Roeder Outdoor Power and they do ship at very reasonable Prices or if You Have a vehicle capable of of Pulling a Trailer there about 2& 1/2 hrs from Vernon, WI. I have Bought 2 tractors from them in the Last 4 years a 2012 X748 In 2014 and a 2012 X540 In 2016 which I bought and My friend reimbursed me for the X540 which he is currently using Neither Tractor Has a Had a Problem since Purchased Used There are some other Brands I would suggest as well which I will send You In a PM because this Is a JD forum after all :bigthumb:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hello fellow chesse head I started out with x304 worked great for 8 yrs. then we moved to larger house and I upgraded to a x730 there are good deals on GL. now is the time to look as the season is coming look for short hrs. and anything that does look right buyer beware. Also there is Used Farm & Agricultural Equipment - John Deere MachineFinder were I found my machines.Good luck ..:greentractorride::greentractorride:

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Once you have tried them out and KNOW what fits and what doesn't, then get more serious about the discussion. With a incline to mow, you want a REAL HYDROSTATIC drive unit, hopefully made by Tuff Torque. No plastic gears or cases. Talk to the dealer about this.
I would also look for a servicable transmission. Many in the lower class machines have sealed transmissions. That is fine for a disposable machine. While it costs more to get into one that is serviceable, it is better money spent because it will last longer.
Think about how you plan to use the machine? Are you going to need a snowblower? How about a plow? Or is mowing the only thing you plan to do with this machine?
Also, if your going to be exclusively mowing with it, consider a Zero Turn. They are pretty much single purpose machines, but they are excellent at what they do.........You can put a hitch on the zero turn and pull a fertilizer spreader and a reasonable utility cart. The blade tip speed on a Zero turn will produce an excellent cut.
This is the route I went. I considered a X7xx but keeping my X585 for dedicated FEL work but I wouldn't gain much. For a little more I went with a commercial ZTrak. The one area to warn about is Zero Turns are tricky with hills. Now I only have experience with a commercial Z9xx series but because the front wheels are casters, when going across a slope you have to crab them because the front wheels provide no lateral support for the machine which is harder on the grass. It can also be dangerous going down hills. As the weight shifts forward you degrade the ability to steer and brake because everything is done with the rear wheels. I like my ZTrak and I have some hills but it is something that you need to keep in mind. When dealing with hills the manual recommends backing down them. The OP mentioned the previous owner had a stand on model. Never used one but my understanding is they do better with hills than a seated Zero Turn. Not sure why. Shorter wheel base and maybe lower center of gravity. That is a guess though. John Deere doesn't really have anything in the standing mower market until you get in the commercial stuff.

The OP also mentioned not wanting to have a payment that is fine but even if you have the cash for it, if 0% is an option it is very tempting. I have a co-worker that bought a 2025 a while back for 0%. Had the cash, he just put it in a interest bearing account and set up auto payment. Even if it is a low interest checking account, he came out ahead of where he would be if he just paid cash. If he ever needed the debt to go away he could pay it off at any point in time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought an x350 for about the same yard. I returned it on the John deere promise. Got a x570. It is 100 times better. I didnt think the k46 would hold up for more than a few seasons.

The k58 on the 380 might be better since you can service it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Back in 98 I think, I bought a 345. I feel the 300 series machines are very capable garden tractors. I found mine extremely smooth riding and comfortable. As Sullybear suggested, take your pick for a drive and see how you feel on it.
By the way, I sold my 345 to a coworker and he is still using it as his primary mower. I would think the model you are looking at is even sturdier.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Back in 98 I think, I bought a 345. I feel the 300 series machines are very capable garden tractors. I found mine extremely smooth riding and comfortable. As Sullybear suggested, take your pick for a drive and see how you feel on it.
By the way, I sold my 345 to a coworker and he is still using it as his primary mower. I would think the model you are looking at is even sturdier.
That machine had a k70....not a 46 or 58...

Different animal. The 3 series then was more comparable to the 5 series today imo. It would of been a garden tractor. It was capable of ground engaging implements.

The 345 was a 700lb tractor. X300 series barely tips the scales at 500lbs.

The x300 series now is not.

X300 series is a light duty lawn tractor. You get the same transaxle as the box store Deere. The 380 up to top end has the servicable transaxle. Its specs are marginally better.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Congrats on the new home purchase! I also bought a new home last year and at that time, I purchased the x590 due to slopes in my yard. I am now in the process of trading it in for an x758 as the 4WD will very helpful and I also plan to plow my driveway during the winter. I got a fair trade from the dealer for the x590, but I would have been in a better position if I just purchased what I really wanted from the start.

I guess my point is that you should really consider all options before dismissing a possible upgrade. Will you just be mowing or is there the possibility that you'd like to remove snow and do other tasks around the yard with the tractor?

I know you said the x570 is out of your price range. If you do the math, the x570 MSRP before tax is $6k. Deere is offering loans at a 4.9% interest rate on the x500/x300 series. This comes out to about $138/month before tax, and I'll bet you could get the x570 below MSRP. The x380 is $4,399 and that works out to about $102/month. So, for about $36 more per month, you've got a much more capable machine. Again, these are estimates are before taxes.

In my opinion, the x570 would be more than enough to mow your yard and the hill shown in the photos. I would hate to see you buy the x380 and regret the decision later. If you're set on the x380, you can always try it and if you don't like it, you can return it on the JD promise within 30 days. I would just be concerned that you would change your opinion after the 30 day period, like I did. Here is some information on the JD promise...

https://www.deere.com/assets/pdfs/common/parts-and-service/warranty-protection-plans/res_jd_promise.pdf

Again, congrats on the new home and good luck with your new tractor purchase!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts