Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Living in MD, I have seen no 47 or 54 blower set-ups for sale locally. I have come across a set-up for my machine but it is hundreds of miles away. I am working with the dealer to get more information. Based on these pictures the bearings in the quick hitch and drive chain have suffered from sitting out in the yard through this past winter. He is going to have his tech take a closer look and give me more feedback, but based on this pictures, would you buy from a distance?

Lee

IMG_3627.jpg

IMG_3626.jpg

·
Premium Member
14,899 Posts
Here is my thought after looking at those pictures. This dealer doesn't care about its used items. Hoping this is a low price,! What does the front look like.?

I bought mine used , a non JD dealer and it had no rust on chain or the spindles.

If I was driving any distance ,before taking the trip, he would send me pictures of the chain after it is lubricated and I could tell everything was in working order.

·
Premium Member
12,748 Posts
That thing sat out in the weather more than just this past winter. That chain is completely toast. If the visible components are that bad then figure that the rest of the shafts and bearings look the same. If you are getting it cheap enough that you can rebuild it and still come out saving money then it might be worth a go but I certainly would not pay much.

Reactions: ejb69

·
Super Moderator
5,204 Posts
*shrugs* Would I buy? No telling. I don't have enough info to make that decision.

The chain in the pics wouldn't really be of much concern to me. I've seen chains look worse in very little time if they are left outside. They are easy enough to clean up.

Just based on the pics I would plan on replacing those PTO bearings. They may end up not needing it but I'd plan on it anyway and figure that into whatever price he's asking.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is my thought after looking at those pictures. This dealer doesn't care about its used items. Hoping this is a low price,! What does the front look like.?

I bought mine used , a non JD dealer and it had no rust on chain or the spindles.

If I was driving any distance ,before taking the trip, he would send me pictures of the chain after it is lubricated and I could tell everything was in working order.
He admitted to me that he took this in trade back in September. I have no idea how the previous owner treated it. It is advertised as a 2005 model. Is there any way to validate that from the serial number?

Price is still in the air. He is selling the whole set-up for a 2210/2305, blower, implement drive/upstop and quick hitch. If he gets more current pictures, I will add to this thread. At this point, the ball is in his court. I am not in a hurry. If I was going to buy this unit, I would be eager to get indoors and get everything freed up, cleaned up, and greased.

I guess here is the $99 question..... How much would that set-up be worth as it sits? Assuming that the rest of the pictures indicate that nothing is broken or bent, what would it be worth as a "sweat equity" project?

Lee

·
Super Moderator
5,204 Posts
I guess here is the $99 question..... How much would that set-up be worth as it sits? Assuming that the rest of the pictures indicate that nothing is broken or bent, what would it be worth as a "sweat equity" project?
What set-up is it? You mentioned both the 47" and 54" in the original post but haven't told us which this is.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What set-up is it? You mentioned both the 47" and 54" in the original post but haven't told us which this is.
Sorry Jim, I am not trying to be sly here. It is the 47". Here is their current listing.
2005 John Deere 47 Snow Blower For Sale » Cazenovia Equipment Co., Inc.

As I mentioned though, I have them looking at it and working on a bottom line price.

I am shocked by how bad the exhaust stains are on the back side of the blower. That to me says either many hours blowing snow or it lived on the machine all year round. Thoughts? Concerns?

I value the opinions of this group!

Lee

·
Registered
311 Posts
2005 John Deere 47 Snow Blower For Sale » Cazenovia Equipment Co., Inc.

I am shocked by how bad the exhaust stains are on the back side of the blower. That to me says either many hours blowing snow or it lived on the machine all year round. Thoughts? Concerns?
You would be surprised how quickly the soot builds up. From the pictures that looks like a pretty clean unit. You should start looking at CL and eBay to see what a beat unit looks like. With the hitch and shafts I can't see this going for less than $1500 in a private sale and closer to $2000 from a dealer unless he just wants it to go away.

·
Super Moderator
5,204 Posts
No prob! ;)

That set-up brand new is $3500. They want $1995.

If you wanted to replace the chain and bearings you're probably looking at $200 in parts (I'm talking about ALL of the bearings in the entire thing).

Most of the crud on it looks like just that - crud. I don't see a whole lot of rust (other than on that PTO shaft bearing carrier) so I *think* it should clean up pretty easy. I did notice some rust in the impeller opening and I'd want to look at that closer. That's one spot where snowblowers tend to rust just because the paint gets stripped off every time a pebble gets shot through the things. :laugh: I'm not sure that's exhaust either. I had similar staining on a chipper that got left outside for a couple of years. Looked pretty much the same. But it all washed right off with a garden hose, a sponge and 15 minutes of elbow grease. I think it was just gunk from leaves and dirt splashing up when it rained.

If it were me, I'd offer him $1500 and see what they say. I'd go as high as $1700.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No prob! ;)

That set-up brand new is $3500. They want $1995.

If you wanted to replace the chain and bearings you're probably looking at $200 in parts (I'm talking about ALL of the bearings in the entire thing).

Most of the crud on it looks like just that - crud. I don't see a whole lot of rust (other than on that PTO shaft bearing carrier) so I *think* it should clean up pretty easy. I did notice some rust in the impeller opening and I'd want to look at that closer. That's one spot where snowblowers tend to rust just because the paint gets stripped off every time a pebble gets shot through the things. :laugh: I'm not sure that's exhaust either. I had similar staining on a chipper that got left outside for a couple of years. Looked pretty much the same. But it all washed right off with a garden hose, a sponge and 15 minutes of elbow grease. I think it was just gunk from leaves and dirt splashing up when it rained.

If it were me, I'd offer him $1500 and see what they say. I'd go as high as $1700.
Thanks Jim. This is very helpful.

Lee

·
Super Moderator
8,146 Posts
That's the older style 47SB. It has an original 2210 or early 2305 2000 rpm front pto. No side reinforcing plates and u-joint style mid and front drive shafts. Later models had a double Cardan joint on the drive shafts to eliminate vibration. Looks like it would clean up well. If it's old enough it may have a #50 chain and sprockets. The chain and bearings are inexpensive. I'd guess it's easily worth $1500 - $1800. JMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,204 Posts
Oh, just for my own sanity... (what little I have left!)

For anyone else reading this thread - go look at the linked pics and tell me if the skid shoes on that thing are mounted wrong or not. Are they supposed to be mounted on the inside of the blower housing? I've never seen that before.

·
Super Moderator
8,146 Posts
Oh, just for my own sanity... (what little I have left!)

For anyone else reading this thread - go look at the linked pics and tell me if the skid shoes on that thing are mounted wrong or not. Are they supposed to be mounted on the inside of the blower housing? I've never seen that before.
Yes. The skid shoes can be mounted inside the side plates. Less vulnerable to getting snagged.

·
Super Moderator
5,204 Posts
Huh. Ok then! That answers THAT! :laugh:

·
Premium Member
14,899 Posts
Mine are mounted on the inside.

·
Registered
12,499 Posts
Yes. The skid shoes can be mounted inside the side plates. Less vulnerable to getting snagged.

superglidersport, question to u, in the bottom of telling what all tractor and attachments u have. u say about a super heavy quick hitch. does jd offer a heavier quick hitch??? or did u make a homemade one like ole bill up in Canada. he's the cemetery's fella that does the grass cutting, digs the graves, maintence man, he made his really heavy, it's not gonna break this time. love the cab!!!!!!!!!!!!!big jim

·
Super Moderator
8,146 Posts
superglidersport, question to u, in the bottom of telling what all tractor and attachments u have. u say about a super heavy quick hitch. does jd offer a heavier quick hitch??? or did u make a homemade one like ole bill up in Canada. he's the cemetery's fella that does the grass cutting, digs the graves, maintence man, he made his really heavy, it's not gonna break this time. love the cab!!!!!!!!!!!!!big jim
Big Jim, The Super Heavy Hitch mounts to my JD iMatch Quick Hitch. I use it to hold my rear suitcase weights. It's made with heavier gauge 3/16" square tube and can handle both 42# & 70# suitcase weights. It has a 2" square receiver and grab hook as well. Very well made accessory! :good2:

Comparison photo:

Heavy-Hitch-61-150x150.jpg

Here's the link to GTT Supporter Vendor Heavy Hitch's site for more information: https://heavyhitch.com/store/category-1-hitch/category-1-hitch-and-bracket-for-suitcase-weights/

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks again for the quick input. They have the ball at the dealer. I will see what they come back with for updated pictures and or price. Who knows, maybe I can make this work and stop moving snow on foot! I figure if I get the right equipment, I won't need it for 3-5 years! :laugh:

Lee

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Living in MD, I have seen no 47 or 54 blower set-ups for sale locally. I have come across a set-up for my machine but it is hundreds of miles away. I am working with the dealer to get more information. Based on these pictures the bearings in the quick hitch and drive chain have suffered from sitting out in the yard through this past winter. He is going to have his tech take a closer look and give me more feedback, but based on this pictures, would you buy from a distance?

Lee

View attachment 135921

View attachment 135929
I know you are looking for serious answers but I can't resist. I wouldn't buy anything from Afar, he used to sell camels and you had to brick them when they drank water, he was a crook! Good luck with the purchase, and Frank has the numbers right in my opinion, which is now junk with this post! :hi:

·
Registered
298 Posts
skid shoes

As a note I mounted the skid shoes on the outside of my blower. The reason is the Drive ways I do have curbs so the shoe rides along the curb and I don't wear out the side wall of my blower.

Ol Man

1 - 20 of 47 Posts