Green Tractor Talk banner

Buying land and building! Need attachments

1838 Views 28 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  SycoCell
Finally, I can justify having a Scut. My 1025r hasn’t been sweated yet. That being said, we are buying 4 acres of farm flat land and building our dream house. What attachments do I need and want! I already know a 260B because of all my landscaping needs.

I am thinking a post hole attachment for the needed fence. That being said, how do these tractors do handling it? It’s clay but no roots or rocks.

Debating if my 60D is sufficient or if a bush hog is waned for the larger open field mows until I really have it landscaped.

Go! Budget isn’t unlimited but it’s realistic. CFO already approved. Realistic things please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
If you have a good rental place in your area who rents SCUT implements, I would start there for the limited use items, like post Hole Diggers, etc. Things like the landscape rake will be handy for the final site work, but then you likely won't need it much afterwards. Rent what you are going to use just a few times if you can.

I have sold a number of Frontier Implements which I used and then no longer needed and they sell very easily in my area. I don't think it took more than a week to sell a single one on WasteBook Marketplace. Just be careful to not pay too much and make sure you know what you have in each implement when you sell them. In most cases, I sold them for anywhere between 80% to 95% of what I paid for them when I bought them in a group.

If you don't have pallet forks, you will definately need those and keep them, so get what you want. Don't waste extra capacity consuming the lifting capacity as the lightest weight forks are likely just fine. other stuff, i would wait until closer to the project as its likely to change.
Reactions: MattL
I agree with the flail mower comment, with an important asterisk. It has to be a proven brand with parts availability and supported by a dealership network, hopefully with a dealer in my area. Too many of the Flail mowers I have seen are made in China, Ebay sold units which is what the Titan unit is. I would want not part of that.

Some of the very good Flail mowers seem to come from Italy and Everything Attachments was one online source that sold them last time I looked. But they are about triple the cost of a rotary mower..........I too would prefer a flail mower for how they cut and for cutting the road sides, etc. Buyers of the flail mowers need to understand how they are maintained as well, as the cutting mechanism is completely different and involves 40 to 80 blades, depending upon the size of the mower.

I used the 60" mower on my 455 to cut rough fields and it handles it, but it wrecks the blades and it always requires at least one cross cutting or simply driving forward 8' cutting, backing over and mowing the same area and then pulling forward again. Its time consuming and a rear rotary cutter is certainly more efficient and more task suited.

You pound on the spindle bearings really hard cutting stuff with the MMM that should be cut with the rotary cutter. You have to grease them with every use and watch them carefully. Knock out a spindle or two or break a gear box hitting something with the MMM and it will cost half or more for what one would have paid for the rotary cutter with the slip clutch.............
Pallet forks are a must. Bucket teeth are very helpful for digging. Rather than a rotary cutter I’d prefer to have a flail mower, but I have a rotary cutter that does the job and I’ve had it a long time. Buying new I’d go with a flail mower. Landscape rake and box blade are two things I use a lot for many different tasks. For best advice, I’d start a post for each project and ask what everyone on here suggests would work best and make the job the easiest. There are many small manufacturers out here that make high quality products at fair price that you will find out about too.
*update your location on your profile too. That makes it easier to give you more specific advice to your geography.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.