Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A week ago I ran into a friend while walking and he said a relative was having an estate sale and had a bunch of steel for sale cheap. Sight unseen I said I would take it. Got there and most of it is 2" thick wall tubing that was fabricated into brackets for heavy duty tables 31" and 37" tall. (would make a super welding bench)

Anyway I made 2 of the brackets into a cart for John Deere 45# suitcase weights. Will get them off the floor and can now be rolled under a bench out of the way when not in use. Have material for at least 4 more. Will make another one for the ballast box of the Case DX-33, and that is really HEAVY as it is filled with lead and steel. The ballast box is much easier to put on when it can be wheeled to the tractor and not the other way around.

DSCF0006.JPG
DSCF0007.JPG
DSCF0008.JPG
DSCF0012.JPG
20210402_154241.jpg
20210213_100144.jpg

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Nice looking cart. That's one heck of a ballast box you got there.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Nice scrap find.

The last scrap I bought was shipping frames from a Kubota dealer. It was mostly light gauge stuff welded into custom shapes of no use to me but one section was rectangular. I cut some out of the weird ones and welded into the rectangular one to make a drag.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Nice scrap find.

The last scrap I bought was shipping frames from a Kubota dealer. It was mostly light gauge stuff welded into custom shapes of no use to me but one section was rectangular. I cut some out of the weird ones and welded into the rectangular one to make a drag.

View attachment 782558
I like that buggy!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice looking cart. That's one heck of a ballast box you got there.

The ballast box came with the tractor and was full of gravel when I got it. The problem with gravel being not dense and since it was full to the top it increases the center of gravity which defeats the purpose. So shortly after getting the tractor I swapped out the pin on style bucket to Bobcat style quick attach. On one of the first uses I picked up an IBC tote full of firewood on a slight slope and had a rear tire start to lift, a "come to Jesus moment". After that the gravel was removed, lead and steel went into the ballast box real low, had 640#s of beet juice put in the rear tires and had the rims swapped to get another 5" in rear stance. That helped a LOT.

The ballast box had some really crude welding on it, I ground and rewelded some of it and added the bracket on the back to use suitcase weight if needed. Note how low to the ground it is for center of gravity.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts