Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
I have a Purchase and Sale contract that I've drawn up based on a raw template I found online. I have each item listed out, serial numbers where available, and a total cost. It specifically states "As is" and "No warranty".

We use a common brick and mortar bank - we're going to meet at a branch where he will make a "cash" withdrawal that I will then deposit into my account. We will then proceed to where the tractor and everything is garaged and he will load up and take away.
It sounds like you have it covered 馃憤

Reactions: Upset264

Registered
"as is" bill of sale on each separate item ......its the buyers responsibility to do his own due diligence........if i were the buyer and extremely skeptical i would call in the vin# to JD to check status, get the bill of sale notarized, and get a receipt for payment if not paid by check

just a question.......how is he going to pay you? ........how will you know if his check is good? ....point is you will have to do your diligence on that end

if its a large purchase/sale i always like to take a picture of the other parties drivers license and car plates for my records
I personally wouldn't let a private individual take a picture of my driver's license anymore than I would send a copy of it to a random stranger on the internet. How do I know that they are going to protect my personal information?

Registered
While I agree with the sentiment and I don't trust random buyer/seller however when it's a high dollar item like a tractor or a vehicle, I will make an exceptions. In MD for example, there's no requirement (at least was when I was a resident) to get a BoS notarized and there's nothing that forces the buyer to ever put the vehicle in their name. Should that buyer do something illegal with the vehicle and it was never transferred to their name, that BoS would be all that you have to hopefully release you of liability, add in a copy of a DL or similar would provide some additional documentation to validate the claim. Granted this is negated with getting a notary, as they will get all that information and (in theory) store it safely.

So yea, I guess I do ultimately agree with you Trav 馃榾 and will likely start to use a notary when desirable and not a state requirement. (Like tractor sales...)
When I sell a car I have the buyer sign the title and often write up a bill of sale, have them sign that as well (because Indiana titles don't have the VIN or title number on the back of the title where the signatures are) and then take photos of both. Having the buyer sign the title stops them from jumping titles and provides me with some protection if they get in an accident or ticketed after the purchase.

When I was a dealer I made copies of driver's licenses as required by law but I don't do that as a private seller even though it would be nice to have that added protection.

Saving communications by e-mail and text is a good way to have additional records of transactions.

A notorized bill of sale is a great idea 馃憤

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.