Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

New to the forum here. I'm looking to purchase a used X739 and save a few pennies. I'd like to stay as new and current as possible. Can anyone give me pointers as far as what has changed from years 2016 to 2017? I'd rather go with the 2017 (are 2018 out yet?) and get the longest possible factory warranty still available on it.

I'm seeing many with a 60" Accel deck and I'd prefer a 48" seeing I don't mind extra time in the seat and save storage space. Any other wisdom would be great too.

Hopefully, this forum will be useful and informative with me being new to a JD:)

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
First off Welcome.

A couple things to consider with a used machine purchase.

A dealer probably has 0% financing on a new machine which makes new very attractive. That used machine if 1-2 years old likely was purchased on 0% financing. Tractors don't have titles so it is tough to say that the seller actually pays off the loan. If buying private party be sure to call a dealer and have them run the SN to make sure it isn't stolen. Also ask them (not the seller) on if the warranty is transferable and how much time is left on it because they can look it up in their system to see the in-service date which is what it is based on.

As far as changes. They don't normally change a lot with machines from year to year. Somewhere in there I want to say there was an instrument cluster change. Other than that there isn't likely much different. That is kind of the thing with tractors that is a bit different than say cars/trucks. Because they don't change much, model year is many times less important than hours on the machine. I would say where it is an area of consideration is if it is a new machine that has been sitting outside at the dealer for maybe 2-3 years and they are charging the same price for one they just took delivery on. While both would have the same warranty, you may have a harder time accepting one where the paint is faded and such when there is a new one sitting next to it with the same cost.

If you were looking at an older machine, lets say 3-5 years, then I would say that is the better target to finding one used than the concerns you might face with a 1 year old machine. Though the warranty isn't there. Honestly the warranty is great but any manufacturing issues are sorted out in the first couple years and they are pretty strong after that. My X585 is a 2002 and has over 1100hrs on it. I have had some minor things but basically have fixed them all myself with the service manual. The most recent issue was an O-ring for the fuel injector failed. I replaced both of them for maybe $5 and 30 min wrenching on the tractor.

EDIT:
On the deck. A 48" would likely yield a better cut on an uneven yard. The problem with it is that it is probably not a very common deck to find on the used market. Also you are going to have a hard time cutting close to trees, edging and bushes with it. The X7xx machines are pretty wide so a 48" will barely extend past the wheels. I would recommend a 54" over a 48". The 60" is a pretty common deck for them because they have the power to run them. Normally if someone needed a 48" they probably also went with a smaller less capable machine like a X5xx or X3xx. Just my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
12,186 Posts
Is there a specific reason you are looking for a large tractor like the X739 to use with such a small deck? 48" barely covers the width of the tires which makes getting close to obstacles a bit tough. I have a X500 with a 48" deck and not much sticks out each side. I went with 48" because my yard is very uneven.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the smaller deck was basically my decision mainly based on storage space. I didn't consider the fact about noting getting close to objects. I'm not totally opposed to a 54" and seeing I'd have better luck finding one in that config I'd better look at that.

My original visit to the dealer was for the X584 because I needed diff lock and FWS. But after seeing the 739 in person I fell in love. Its just a beautiful machine.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'm not sure they even make a 48" for the X7??? I agree that the 54" is a better option anyways due to mowing close to objects.

I just sold my 2017 x739 with plow, 60" mower, and bagger to my neighbor. Only had 19 hours on it. They are an awesome machine. I can see myself buying another one as they work with my lawn just perfectly.

Warranties are transferable, but always a good idea to verify with the dealer. I second asking about the financing. If it is currently financed, see if you can go into a JD dealer with the seller and pay off on the spot. Or, go to a bank where they deposit and have them pay it off on their online JD Financial account while you guys are right there in the bank.

I don't know of any significant changes between those models years. They will be very similar, if not identical. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Well the smaller deck was basically my decision mainly based on storage space. I didn't consider the fact about noting getting close to objects. I'm not totally opposed to a 54" and seeing I'd have better luck finding one in that config I'd better look at that.

My original visit to the dealer was for the X584 because I needed diff lock and FWS. But after seeing the 739 in person I fell in love. Its just a beautiful machine.
There are other benefits as well such as shaft driven attachments.

Like I said, if you find a 1-2 year old machine, I would want to buy it from a dealer or at least research it there to minimize risk. I won't say that you won't find a 739 used that is only 1-2 years old. Heck there are two members here in the last couple weeks that have been looking at trading in a low hour X7xx machine because they now realize they should have gone with a 1025R. They are finding it challenging because the machine being so new and they owe quite a bit on them if bought with the 0 down 0% financing and the dealer doesn't necessarily want it because it will compete against their new machines so they will be sitting on it for a while.

·
Premium Member
14,724 Posts
Go for a 54" deck ..I don't think they make a 48 for the X7xx

·
Registered
22,708 Posts
I'm not sure they even make a 48" for the X7??? I agree that the 54" is a better option anyways due to mowing close to objects.

I just sold my 2017 x739 with plow, 60" mower, and bagger to my neighbor. Only had 19 hours on it. They are an awesome machine. I can see myself buying another one as they work with my lawn just perfectly.

Warranties are transferable, but always a good idea to verify with the dealer. I second asking about the financing. If it is currently financed, see if you can go into a JD dealer with the seller and pay off on the spot. Or, go to a bank where they deposit and have them pay it off on their online JD Financial account while you guys are right there in the bank.

I don't know of any significant changes between those models years. They will be very similar, if not identical. Good luck!
This is important advise when looking at these expensive fairly new tractors. Being tractors are not titled you absolutely have to research and find proof that the tractor isn’t financed. If the tractor you are buying is financed and you don’t get proof that the owner has paid it off you will likely loose that tractor soon.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very good info to know. I just may go new and forego any of the headaches. So it sounds like the 54" is the way to go. Now I need to decide, mulch or not too and if not a good bagging system to go with. But, I'm sure that's an entire topic I'll need to research.

Thanks everyone

·
Premium Member
12,186 Posts
According to the Build Your Own tool they do offer a 48" deck for the X739:

48-in. Shaft Drive Edge Xtra Mower Deck (48X)

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
According to the Build Your Own tool they do offer a 48" deck for the X739:

48-in. Shaft Drive Edge Xtra Mower Deck (48X)
I thought I remembered seeing it as an option but didn't have time to look. I thought it was pretty small for this size machine. Sure there is the storage concern.

What is that company that makes the wheels that replace the rear anti-scalp wheels? With something like that you just stand it up against the wall.

·
Registered
22,708 Posts
I thought I remembered seeing it as an option but didn't have time to look. I thought it was pretty small for this size machine. Sure there is the storage concern.

What is that company that makes the wheels that replace the rear anti-scalp wheels? With something like that you just stand it up against the wall.
Mower Deck Axle Co

·
Registered
1 Posts
2016 was the first year of the new instrument cluster, but the major mechanicals (engine, transmission, decks, etc) have pretty much been the same since then.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The tractors that John Deere sells are not financed like a car or home it is more like a credit card .
If you buy a used tractor from a person and he has not paid for it in full he still is held to the account if he sells or not .

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
The tractors that John Deere sells are not financed like a car or home it is more like a credit card .
If you buy a used tractor from a person and he has not paid for it in full he still is held to the account if he sells or not .
Yeah, that sounds right. The tractor probably isn't actually collateral for the financing. It's not like you get a lien release when you pay off the financing, right?

Rob

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A few other things are wondering about before purchasing. I do plan on mulching my yard but I'd like to have clippings pickup options too if I have the thatch attachment on or leaf pickup.

Any recommendations for hoppers and powerflow (if that's what really is needed)?

Sorry I'm such a noob with the the stupid questions

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Yeah, that sounds right. The tractor probably isn't actually collateral for the financing. It's not like you get a lien release when you pay off the financing, right?

Rob
John Deere has a lien on my X739. The loan is a regular installment loan.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
John Deere has a lien on my X739. The loan is a regular installment loan.
Interesting. My x758 is via their 'revolving plan' and there is nothing collateral related, at least as far as I was ever told. Applying was like for a credit card.

Rob

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
A few other things are wondering about before purchasing. I do plan on mulching my yard but I'd like to have clippings pickup options too if I have the thatch attachment on or leaf pickup.

Any recommendations for hoppers and powerflow (if that's what really is needed)?

Sorry I'm such a noob with the the stupid questions
There is a lot to think about in this area and not a perfect answer for everyone.

Mulching: You have to define this better.

1. Full mulch kit where there are baffles that are bolted to the bottom of the deck to seal off the blades into individual "chambers". This is probably the best option. I would go for a drive over deck and when going from summer mulching to fall leaf harvest, pull the deck, remove the baffles, clean the deck slap on some fresh blades. Put the deck back on and mount your collection system. Then reverse the process when you go back to mulching.

2. There are some deck options where there is a lever/switch/knob to go from side discharge to mulching. On my Z950R it is called a Mulch On Demand Deck. The MOD deck gets really bad reviews. I would be cautious with this option. When you go to mulching, doors close off to kind of create the chambers in options 1 above. It isn't as good of a seal and it causes a lot of clumping. Maybe the option which goes by a different name is better on the X Series Deck. I would be cautious with this option. If you want true mulching the drive over deck with the full kit is a better option.

3. There are aftermarket side discharge doors that can be added to many decks. While the deck is just one big chamber, this combined with a mulching style blade would be an option.

4. Just run a mulching type blade with the side discharge open. This is what I have done over the years with my X585 and now Z950R. I have run Gator Blades and it chops the clippings a little finer. Not the same as option 1 but I don't get clumps and I am fine with it. Not true mulching.

As far as Material Collection Systems (MCS) there are a few options here. Of course some are John Deere and then there are a bunch of aftermarket options. If you do end up going with a new machine and get 0% financing, it makes a John Deere option very attractive because you can roll the collection system into the finance package as long as it is all done under the same purchase agreement. If you buy the tractor one day and come back the next day to do the paperwork on the MCS it is too late.

I would start by deciding how you want to power the MCS. There are pros and cons and depending on your use, there are justifications for one over the other. No right answer.

1. PowerFlow - this is a vac system that attaches to the right side of the deck. It is powered by a second pulley added to the top of the right spindle. A belt then runs from the deck to the PowerFlow attachment to drive it.

Pro - There isn't a second motor to maintain. It is more compact if you have limited storage options.
Cons - The housing is all plastic and it will wear out. A new housing is about $200 and a pain to replace. How many years you will get depends on use. It hangs quite a bit of weight off the side of your deck so if you are fussy, you will want to re-level the deck or at least check it.

2. Pony Motor - JD MC542 also several aftermarket options.
Pro - Quite a few aftermarket options. You can disconnect the hose and suck leaves from bushes or a big pile. Typically this will allow for the largest hopper capacity. Less impact on deck leveling. You might get away from plastic so it lasts longer.
Con - Larger for storage. Much louder. Harder to maneuver around trees.

Once you figure out if you want PowerFlow or Pony Motor. Then figure out what you want for a hopper.

1. Bags - This works best for those people with very limited storage options and those that have to dispose of clippings/leaves off-site. Either taking them somewhere or city/trash company yard waste collection. Easy maneuverability around trees. A lot of work to empty with limited capacity so you will get a work out. Hey saves on the gym plan.

2. Cart - (JD MC519) Increases capacity over bags. You still have to get off and dump it but there are some options for dump from seat. Easy to dump but most likely some effort. Pretty good maneuverability around trees. Though you might still clip a tree if you have 4 wheel steering. I couldn't do it if I tried with 2WS. Easy to back up as it can't be jack knifed.

3. Dump From Seat Hopper - I see that they offer this on the 1 Series and I want to say on the X7xx. It might need 3pt hitch arms which adds quite a bit to the cost but it would be a pretty nice system. See all the stuff in option 2 and add in dump from seat ability. As long as you don't over fill it you don't have to get off. But you will still have to go to the Gym.

4. Trailer - Options 1-3 are most likely all PowerFlow Driven. The trailer option is where you get into the Pony Engine. There is more flexibility here with other brands which may be better built and/or cheaper than John Deere. Only the JD one can be rolled into financing but it is an option. It will offer the most in terms of capacity. Some will be very manual to dump them out though. You might have to be a little more careful around trees and backing.

As far as personal use. For mulching side discharge with a Gator Blade is good enough for me. For leaves. Growing up I used the Pony engine powered option 4 being the trailer. My father still does this though he has upgraded to a newer version but still not a JD branded one. He has had problems dumping it if it gets too full of wet heavy grass/leaves. He then uses the front end loader and a chain to lift it. When I got the X585 at our current house we used the MC 519 for many years which is a PowerFlow head with the 2 wheeled cart in option 2 above. This worked well in terms of capacity but over the years I wore out a few PowerFlow housings. Not from dragging on the ground just wore out from the inside out. The last time it wore out I was considering replacing it and trying to line it with sheet metal. I went the expensive route and bought a Z950R instead with the dump from seat hopper (option 3 above). Since it is a commercial mower it also came with the commercial version of the PowerFlow which is only an option on the Z9xx but pretty much all metal housing. So this one shouldn't wear out. It does have a plastic deflector that will wear out but much cheaper and easier to replace.

So I have used all the options except the bagger. Both growing up and now we have compost on-site so I didn't want to mess with bags. I get that it can be the best option for those that have to transport them though. If I lived in town I might consider it.

Like I said there are lots of options. Others might have different opinions on some of these but I tried to be as objective as possible. They make multiple options because no two yards are the same and what is best for one owner, may not be the best for the next. You have to evaluate your use.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts