Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out cutting our CRP land and cleaning up some of our wheat fields. I had made one round in front of the oil well when I found some downed trees in my path. I stopped mowing and started using the bucket to move the trees over into a pile. I was watching to make sure I did not hit the pump house when I got a quick whiff of a skunk. Just as fast as my mind said thank god for a cab, I was unable to breathe. This skunk was pissed. He got in front of the tractor and sprayed like crazy and then ran under it. When I backed up to try to get out of there he must have sparyed again as it is all over the back window. I could not see as my eyes were watering from the AC brining it inside the cab.

I backed up about 100 yard at full speed and bailed out of the cab. It had to be a site to see. I was rolling around on the ground trying to wipe my eyes and catch a breath. After about a 10 minute walk, I felt ok and brave enough to walk back to the tractor. It was hard to get inside. I could not run the AC and without a constant breeze in the cab to bring in fresh air it was unbearable. I had to finish with both doors and the rear window open. My cab is now covered in debris from mowing....

By the time I got home, I have ouked twice. I have tried to wash the tractor and MX6 but its just too strong. My uncle suggested peroxide and baking soda? I can tell you that spraying simple green, car wash shoap, dawn dish soap, and tire degreaser from a distance has done nothing.

I fear its in the plumbing of the AC fans and might be a while until its gone..... What a morning.

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
What a tough break. Tomato juice will help to remove the "oil" sprayed on the tractor. When our dog got sprayed the vet told us to wash him in tomato juice and it helped. It's hard to do but it helped.

Wal Mart, in our area, sells a product called "Odornix" which specifically list skunk spray as an odor it removes. The company's toll free number listed on the sprayer is 1-877-298-0413.
Good luck Brian.

·
Registered
95 Posts
my dog just got nailed by a skunk the other night. baking soda and peroxide with a splash of dishsoap was very helpful. also i used some of that orange smelling handcleaner and it covers the scent very well. they also make something called, orange solvent that would be super helpful but of course i didnt have any and it was 230 in the morning.

but that is some potent stink, i feel for ya.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My uncle came and mixed up his "solvent" and has the outside of the tractor better. I am leaving it out all night with the windows open and we will see what its like in the morning. I need a new cabin filter!!!!!! Going to get that tonight.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Man, that stinks!

I've had close calls with Peppy la Pew but so far not been hit. Agree with tomato juice, and it will be more benign on the paint than anything with peroxide. After the airing out, try Fabreeze on the seat? They have a stronger version of it "for cars". The big challenge will be getting the stink out of that seat.

When I got out at night for a fire call, there's a skunk that sometimes lurks around my truck. We've had a few "talks" but no "arguments" so far....

Good luck on the cleanup, let us know what works.

Pete

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Geez Brian, you needed that like a hole in your head.

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
Sorry Brian, But I laughed out loud when I read this:lol::laugh:

The thought of you rolling on the ground smelling like a skunk is just funny!

I will take that stinky smelly tractor off your hands though for $10,000 so it won't remind you anymore...and you know every time you get it in you are going to smell it because you know it was in there:painkiller::grin:

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:mocking: I wish there would have been a camera there because it had to be a funny sight. I might have been able to sell it. Today, all I can do is laugh. I used the tractor today to load up some farm equipment we sold.

Tractor is for sale. Best offer.:laugh:

Honestly, after changing out the cabin filter and leaving it open, there is next to no smell in the AC. There is some stink still around the front radiator and thats it. I am not willing to try too much on the aluminum up there.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Sounds like your cleaned-up tractor is meeting your burnt-out nose half way. Good :thumbup1gif:.

I wonder if anyone has installed those mobile DVR setup-ups like LEO uses in a tractor?

Pete

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is odd that coffee smells like the skunk right now.. LOL... Its very odd, but it does....

99.9% of the time a camera on a tractor would put people to sleep.:laugh:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Nice it's not so smelly today. That stuff you used to rid the tractor of the smell must work.

A few years ago we had skunks living down by the highway, they would let loose from traffic going by I guess, it would drift our way causing us to have shut the windows. I can't imagine how horrible it must of been to have gotten hit as bad as you did and away from water to wash your eyes out.

Skunk is one of the most awful smells on the planet... So bad I don't know why it couldn't be developed into a weapon. I bet if used along with tear gas the most stubborn enemy would come out of his hiding place and immediately surrender. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Brian:

If there is a silver lining to your experience; at least when you came out of the cab rolling on the ground, it wasn't on a stinging insect of your choice nest.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That thought never crossed my mind. It was get out of the cab as quick as possible. :lol: It would have been worse without a cab no doubt as his green spray was on the front and rear glass. I would have been covered. I am still laughing as I think about what it must have looked like.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Beeing hit that strongly and you being in a confined space it could have been allot more serious, like having a severe reacton to the smell, loosing your breath or the anxiety even given you a heart attack. Like they saying goes "I wouldn't want to be in your shoes" Glad it's turned out to be something you can laugh about now, something to tell the grand kids about for sure. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Life is an adventure. Without stuff like this, it could get dull.... :tongue:

I am headed back there one night this week to try and trap the little guy. I hope he does not remember me.:nunu:

·
Registered
771 Posts
I hit the neighbor's pissing dog once with my potato gun. It did the job, he never came back for more.... Between the noise and the paper wad hitting him in the ass he was scared off for good. At first he couldn't gain traction, there was howling,stones, dirt and smoke coming off his paws as he went running off into the morning sun.

He came by every morning around 6:30 AM and whizzed on my bushes and the vans driver side tires and aluminum rims ... He killed an arborvitae evergreen?

I wonder if a potato gun would work on Mr skunk too? It wouldn't leave a mess to clean up.

I used MAPP gas in my potato gun for fuel. I'm not recommending it mind you, my plastic fittings could be stronger.... with all the cheap Chinese crap fittings nowadays in hardware stores and building centers I would be hesitant to build one from fittings from either place.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I hesitate to post this, but I have good luck with live traps.

They love fish. Once they are in the trap I walk up with a tarp or blanket and put it over the trap. They never spray, even in the back of my truck. I take them over to a deep ditch we have and throw it in. Its trickey to grab the line on the trap, pull the blanket and drop them in the ditch all at once, but it works. A few minutes later I pull it up and dump them out. No smell.

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
They love fish.
Yeah they do. We use sardines in the live trap, throw a blanket over them, drive away from the house, unload the trap, take the blanket off and aim right between their eyes and (hope we) don't miss. Nine out of nine so far without a mishap.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Have had to try and outrun skunk smell at tractor road speed myself............

As nasty a situation as that is at the moment... I have to say, I had to LMAO-ROF when I read that.

My Grandpa gave the tractor and me a bath at the same time........ Laughing his AO..........
I had to go to the house bare foot in a towel. Grandma tried not to laugh, but didn't quite get it done.... If she was chuckling, I couldn't help but chuckle either.......

Took me and the tractor about 3 days to get over it. My clothes hung on the coral fence about a week. Under ware, boots and all.

Believe me..... For a long time, you will be a LOT more sensitive to critters of all kinds around where you are working.
Good luck :empathy3:
Wyo

1 - 20 of 22 Posts