Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4066R cab and I’m thinking of tinting the glass. Having never owned a tractor....much less one with a cab I’m curious if anyone has done so? I’ve seen people with them tinted online but curious if anyone had regrets at all.

I know for all my vehicles current and past; I’d go as dark as I could on the rear windows and much lighter on the driver and passenger windows so I could see at night. I don’t think I’ll be doing much work at night...but if at dusk I don’t want to impede my vision in any direction (even the back glass).

My main goal is heat rejection, glare reduction and blocking UV.

What have you all done?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,470 Posts
Our 4430 AC had difficult time keeping up on the hottest days. I covered the top 7 inches of all of the windows with alum foil. Helped a ton.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
I got a quote on mine for $600. I couldn't bring myself to pay that.

Dave

Sent from my Samsung Note using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
One could always do like a 70% (or more)...it’s not even noticeable as far as darkness wise. But it rejects heat/glare and blocks UV. I have that done on 2 of my windshields. It’s illegal (for obvious reasons) to have tint on your windshield...but the 70, 80, 90% tint isn’t even noticeable. Only if you had say part of the windshield done could you notice it if side by side with no tint. I did that on my TDI Passat that I bought in Vegas...having that heat rejection on the windshield made a huge difference in the sun/heat of Vegas!

I got a quote from one company...but they were using their top of the line ceramic tint. I wouldn’t go crazy with it since it isn’t my commuter car that I’m spending 2 hours everyday in it. There are less expensive tints that still do everything I want and still have lifetime warranties from adhesion failure, bubbling, etc.

I think I would probably do the lightest on the front no matter what. The question is how dark to go on the sides and rear. I would have to look at the paperwork but going say 35% would be pretty safe. The driver and passenger windows on all 4 vehicles don’t bother me at night. “Maybe” I could go just a little darker on the rear and be fine...but I think it would be better to error on the side of too light in the case of a tractor. Not like you require any privacy in the cab of a tractor that you may want in the car. You could alleviate some of that though since the rear glass opens. I think being able to see the 3pt would be most vital if working at night...and you could do so by raising the glass...so perhaps you could go darker and it wouldn’t ever matter....

I’m going to specifically search for pics online to see if I can see some examples of what people have done.

I was thinking several on here have tint and could bring some real world experience to what they found. I think even the least expensive will probably be around the $500-$700 mark. I usually justify it for a car/truck by saying it saves the interior from fading and the comfort factor. But in that case you can spend 6-12 hours in a car/truck while traveling. Unlikely I do that in the tractor lol. So while it would be more comfortable on a summer day and doesn’t work the AC as hard you just don’t spend as much time in the tractor (in my case anyway). It would eliminate any fading or damage from UV for the life of tractor though. In the case of a car/truck; I like the way a vehicle looks with tinted windows over the no tint look. So part of that becomes appearance. That doesn’t apply IMO to the tractor.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
35% for the side windows and 20% for the rear window. I have never done the front.

Dave

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
2,470 Posts
Isn't the glass already UV rated like most vehicles these days?

I swear the cab I sat in last fall had that green tint which is usually indicative of the UV blockers.

Reactions: driveshaft

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
In the past when shopping for different machines online, I have noticed that window tint on tractors seems pretty popular in Texas.
I am sure it has a lot to do with the a lot of sun heat and humidity.

When a rock took out my back glass a couple weeks ago, I was really wishing I had window tinted mine, or even had it just clear filmed. That tempered glass shatters into million tinny pieces that make for one heck of a mess. Tint or film would have held it together. Might have even buffered the impact and avoided the shattering. It would have absolutely helped hold it all together rather then sending glass flying everywhere.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just recently did mine 35% front/rear 20% side windows. It was pretty steep $600 but I should have done it a long time ago, the a/c doesn’t have to be on full blast.
View attachment 784735 View attachment 784736
Have you found it to be too dark? It’s hard to tell much from pictures; but that appears very dark! I don’t think I’d be brave enough to go that dark!

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
I've done my own windows in the past and also had to do quite a few back in my collision repair days so I plan to do the tractor myself. Finding quality film can be the tricky part.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
All my tractors are open station so I have no real world experience. But a very close friend of mine runs a large farm near by, they grow peaches, strawberries and some other crops. They just bought a new JD Cab tractor, having seen their other tractors that were tinted, I asked him if he was going to tint the JD and he said no. For them, working the tractors every day, he said the tint does cause some visual problems. I didn't go into detail with him about it but I would think dusty conditions may be a factor. I respect this guys opinion, he is a real farmer, he always shoots me straight and is one of my go to people for advice.

My two cents are for a owner / small farm or utility tractor, tint is probably okay and may be a good idea depending on where you are. For a full time farmer, maybe not, depending on what you are farming, size of the farm, and where you are located.

If my 3039 was a cab, I would tint it. 35% all the way around and maybe some darker bands around the top 6-12". But I like tinted windows, I tinted the windshield of the wakeboard boat I used to own, didn't do anything but look cool...

If you do tint it, we need pictures :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have you found it to be too dark? It’s hard to tell much from pictures; but that appears very dark! I don’t think I’d be brave enough to go that dark!

If your looking at it from outside you would be looking though two window tints. I would look very dark. Would be nice to see picture from inside

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I tinted a older tractor cab the ac is marginal in a few years ago.....works great on bright days.....overcast days visibility drops some....night it is very difficult....have to keep windows clean......I would not do it on a tractor with adequate ac....sunglasses work fine for non ac issues

·
Registered
827 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts