Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any recommendations for repairing the gouges my CAB's top? I foolishly let my garage door rub the top for a while and now that I have fixed the issue, I wanna repair the gouges and scratches in the top.

a new one is ~$500 bucks, so before I go that route, I wanna explore fixing it.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Bondo (body filler) would work. Sand up your scratches and lightly scuff the area that you will need to paint. Fill it and sand smooth. You might need to fill it again. Prime and paint it and you are done. But thats not easy to make the paint match out of a rattle can.

IF you really want it to look like new again, I would remove it and take it to a body shop. I would have to guess they could have you looking like new for under 100 dollars.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Bondo (body filler) would work. Sand up your scratches and lightly scuff the area that you will need to paint. Fill it and sand smooth. You might need to fill it again. Prime and paint it and you are done. But thats not easy to make the paint match out of a rattle can.

IF you really want it to look like new again, I would remove it and take it to a body shop. I would have to guess they could have you looking like new for under 100 dollars.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

·
Registered
733 Posts
IMO the type of body filler used would depend on the base material...Isnt the cab roof plastic? I know that there are some "special" body fillers used today for the plastic panels on vehicles....The problem is Plastic Expands & Contracts quite a bit...so "old school" bondo wont last long. Hit up your local automotive paint supply and ask them what they reccomend..around here I hit car quest...Nice People and they sell DuPont supplies.
I probably wouldnt reccomend rattle can either, at the very least I'd refinish the entire top with JD Green Paint & Hardener..... You can also splurge and get a urethane and get an excellently durable finish, but at a cost....

I think Brian's quote of 100.00 is wayyyy low. I'd say around here at least, you'd be looking at 100.00 of materials, plus a couple hours of labor...I'd be happy if I could get it done for $250.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Dave, to me, Bondo is a brand name. Not a type of filler. Most body fillers these days are poly fillers and would not have the issues you are talking about. They do make special fillers for plastic, but those are more suited for the abs plastic on todays modern bumpers.

Either way he goes, there really is not much needed here. The most expensive part for a body shop is paint. I highly doubt they would use anything that would be to crazy expensive on it, as it is a roof.

With that said. I have a friend that owns a body shop. He has painted a lot more than just a roof for me for 100 dollars. I had a fiberglass hood painted on my old super duty for 100 bucks. That was a SEMA show truck, so it had to be perfect. Before that he painted my add on roll cage in my jeep color matched, bright silver metallic, and he "bondoed" all the welds smooth for 100 bucks.

I know body shops can charge crazy amounts, but its all about what the customer is willing to pay and how much they can get out of them to put in their pocket.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks All, I may take it off and go to a local body shop and see what they say.

If they indicate over $400:thumbsdown:, then I will just either try it myself or order another top.:cray:

·
Registered
213 Posts
How bad it is?

Thanks All, I may take it off and go to a local body shop and see what they say.

If they indicate over $400:thumbsdown:, then I will just either try it myself or order another top.:cray:
How bad is it?

Have you ever taken the roof off one?

Personally unless it is all the way thru I would just repair it on the tractor. When you pull it apart you have to be careful of the seals, etc.,

I had a building collapse on top of my 4520. Insurance company put a new roof on it. They can take a load of load. :)

Yes, i'll post a pic in a bit.

D.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
It's deja vu all over again Darin, 'cause:

I had a building collapse on top of my 4520. Insurance company put a new roof on it. They can take a load of load. :)

Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's deja vu all over again Dan, 'cause:

Pete
Yep, I have taken the top off befor and I am very aware of the seals, as I had them replaced under warranty!:thumbup1gif:

Here are some pics

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yep, I have taken the top off befor and I am very aware of the seals, as I had them replaced under warranty!:thumbup1gif:

Here are some pics
I would leave it alone. It is not going to rust or anything.

D.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
I was kinda thinking I wanted it to look new again.
Some times its a matter of it just looking good. That kind of thing bothers me and I myself would probably have to fix it. Kind of a pride thing and kind of an organizational (neatness) thing. Just need to do what's best for you.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Agreed I'd fix it too...It would bug me....
Looking at the pics Nuru, I think I'd probably just sand it down myself..smooth things out, and then prime & paint it....Its not a "high visability" area...
The genuine JD Green Paint w/Hardner does a decent job for the money....

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Some times its a matter of it just looking good. That kind of thing bothers me and I myself would probably have to fix it. Kind of a pride thing and kind of an organizational (neatness) thing. Just need to do what's best for you.
Yes, Ok, I admit it, i wanted it to look good again. I keep seeing it in my mind.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Agreed I'd fix it too...It would bug me....
Looking at the pics Nuru, I think I'd probably just sand it down myself..smooth things out, and then prime & paint it....Its not a "high visability" area...
The genuine JD Green Paint w/Hardner does a decent job for the money....
Yeah that is what I am thinking i may do.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Nuru,
Isn't this something you could claim on your insurance? I mean, if it comes down to a cost thing.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmmm, did not think of that angle. i will have to go and ask. :bye2:

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Nuru,
Isn't this something you could claim on your insurance? I mean, if it comes down to a cost thing.
Hmmm, did not think of that angle. i will have to go and ask. :bye2:
Be careful about trying to claim this on your insurance as it may jack your rates up. About a month after my wife got her new CRV she smacked the bottom of the garage door because my newly enlarged garage door didn't open all the way as I was still tweaking the garage door opener settings. I talked to my agent and he said such a claim would jack up our auto rates. I had the garage door fixed for ~$70 and my wife shelled out ~$700 to fix her new car.

As to why she didn't notice the garage door wasn't up all the way. She had a bad habit of getting in the car, opening the garage door and waiting for it to clear her line of sight in her rear-view mirror.

Having a scratched cab roof would bug me too.

Regarding the snow on the shed pictures...flat roofs and snow equal Bad Juju.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Be careful about trying to claim this on your insurance as it may jack your rates up. About a month after my wife got her new CRV she smacked the bottom of the garage door because my newly enlarged garage door didn't open all the way as I was still tweaking the garage door opener settings. I talked to my agent and he said such a claim would jack up our auto rates. I had the garage door fixed for ~$70 and my wife shelled out ~$700 to fix her new car.
I agree....Wife backed into a Telephone pole (Common theme here heh? Wives and Reverse :laugh:) I just paid the 800.00 out of pocket...Truck had 4,000 miles on it.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts