Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We moved up north after I retired in 2010. She found this house on some real estate web site and we came up to check it out. It had been a foreclosure home and the bank wanted it gone. I walked into the garage and was thinking, "I hope she likes it because I want the garage". It's attached to the house and is 30' wide and 40' deep with 2 10'x 8' garage doors. The previous owner left one long work bench and I added an old Sears bench that I had. The previous owner lined the walls with peg board and had some shelves on the walls. It needed more storage.... (or I need less stuff)

Move in day....
IMG_1209 - Copy.jpg
IMG_1210 - Copy.jpg

Last week, we were making a donation to the local Re-store, a charity that specializes in reusable building supplies, and I found just what I needed. I scored 8 kitchen wall cabinets. They were new fairly new, the stickers on them say 2003 and 2004. They were originally unfinished oak and someone painted them kind of an odd color.... not quite green, not quite yellow, but that's OK. They were in pretty good shape, only one needed a minor repair. Someone added tongue and groove to the sides of 4 of the cabinets so I figured a way to hang them and use the finished ends. I had a buddy help me hang them and I think it turned out pretty good. The $140 I paid for them went to a good cause. I'm happy.

Don't mind the mess, it's a work in progress...

DSCF7971.jpg

DSCF7972.JPG

DSCF7973.JPG

I was thinking of painting over the green/yellow but I actually kind of like it...:hide:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Very nice, my 28x40 garage is a work in progress almost 3 years later, always trying to organize things better. Really like the idea of the re-used kitchen cabinets.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Very nice. And the cabinets were fate: in between JD Yellow and JD Green. What more could you ask for??!

Repurposing kitchen cabinets for the shop is always good. I did that with our house that we bought two years ago; hated the cabinets so I moved them out to the garage for my temp shop. Mine didn't have that pretty paint job yours has. Now I'm jealous....

·
Registered
927 Posts
My garage cabinets cost me about $8k*

*I replaced my kitchen cabinets and moved most of them into the garage, complete with counter and sink.

·
Registered
927 Posts
when we redid our kitchen I used some of the cabinets in my garage and some went to my dad.

Bothers me every time I see one of the stupid remodeling shows where they take a sledgehammer to the kitchen.

Stupid move.

I'm watching for some used cabinets on C-L.
Same here, I hate seeing that. It really doesn't take much time to remove them without destroying them.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bothers me every time I see one of the stupid remodeling shows where they take a sledgehammer to the kitchen.
Drives me crazy too. They knock them off the wall then they have to remove the screws, so why not drop the cabinets whole and reuse them?

I guess smashing crap makes for good TV??

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Very nice I like your garage. When we moved in 91 we looked at a house that the attached garage was huge and had two other garages but alas it did not make the cut. Enjoy your place it's very nice.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Decades ago while in college some friends and I rented a nice house from a guy who owned a cabinet business. Every bedroom had more built-ins than the average kitchen. The kitchen, living room, dining room, basement and garage had enough cabinets for a cruise ship. Of course we poor students owned very little, so most of them were empty. Wish I had some of those now!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts