Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a big dead oak. About 80 ft tall, 2 foot dia. Insects are slowly eating it away. Leaning further every month as the base is clearly rotting. Waited for last two yrs for it to fall- it has a good 15 degree lean now. The canopy is full of large deadheads. Thinking of some sort of remote set up to get rid of this? Cable saw? Old chainsaw mounted on a fixture with an arm- pull one end of the arm with a rope and the chainsaw moves towards the tree. It's near a path but can't get a boom truck near it.

Any thoughts?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,816 Posts
Ask a tree climber to stop buy.

·
Premium Member
14,899 Posts
Just a thought ,,can you get your tractor to the tree? if so could you push it over using your bucket,:dunno::dunno:probably not :dunno:

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a thought ,,can you get your tractor to the tree? if so could you push it over using your bucket,:dunno::dunno:probably not :dunno:
Nope. This tree starts falling the top could come back in my direction. The dead branches are in every direction and they could drop also the moment the tree moves.

Getting a 200 ft rope around the top and yanking it may be an option tho.

·
Administrator
20,879 Posts
$500 won’t buy a saw that you’d need for a tree of that size you’ve described.

I’d ask what a pro would charge to fell it. Surely it’s not $500 just to drop it unless there’s some big obstacles or other considerations.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From what you are explaining about this tree that sounds like a bargain.
I agree. However the bark is rotted all the way up. Plus the base is rotted. One guy looked at it and said he wouldn't go up it.
I don't know whats holding this thing up. The wind just whistles right thru it due to no leaves. If it had leaves it would be long gone.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
$500 won’t buy a saw that you’d need for a tree of that size you’ve described.

I’d ask what a pro would charge to fell it. Surely it’s not $500 just to drop it unless there’s some big obstacles or other considerations.
I am going to reach out to another guy. This tree has a 360degres of huge deadheads and on the side of a hill. No safe place to stand underneath and use a saw.

·
Administrator
20,879 Posts
What would be the big deal if it just fell on its own, on its own time schedule?

·
Registered
23,056 Posts
I am going to reach out to another guy. This tree has a 360degres of huge deadheads and on the side of a hill. No safe place to stand underneath and use a saw.
I doubt any climber would attempt a tree like that. More than likely they would use a bucket truck to take it down piece by piece from the top.

So a bucket truck, sawer, and ground guy for 3 or 4 hours - $500 is cheap.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
414 Posts
Im sure what I’m going to suggest will flip some folks out. We’ve done a few big ones ourselves this year. Used a comealong (and in one instance, we used two) on a heavy duty cable to help apply pressure in the direction we wanted them to go. Then, I apply pressure with the tractor bucket being really careful to NOT have the teeth anywhere that they could get tangled. While I’ve got pressure applied, he starts his cuts. You’ve definitely got to have experience with this part or you need to just hire someone. We’re communicating with each other the entire time. I adjust the direction of the pressure if needed. So far, so good.

Good luck to you. Please be careful. Watch a few YouTube disaster tree videos and be sure this is something you really feel like you want to do yourself.

The last huge tree I paid to have removed was almost $2000. So, $500 is sounding like a deal to me.

·
Premium Member
14,899 Posts
Years ago the main church , 3 total , needed some guessing 100' or better pine trees cut down. The cheapest price was $500 and this was falling them to the ground . NOTHING ELSE, my youngest brother cut them I thinking for either $25 or $50. Other church members helped cut them to length , and hauled them to my brothers old saw mill. He kept some of the wood for sawing and gave the rest to the church to build a outdoor pavilion.

So is his price for falling the tree or is it falling, cleanup and hauling away the wood.:dunno:

:munch:

·
Premium Member
12,737 Posts
I agree. However the bark is rotted all the way up. Plus the base is rotted. One guy looked at it and said he wouldn't go up it.
I don't blame them for not going up it. Our neighbor just had a tall tree taken down that was close to the house and they used a tall bucket truck. Started at the top taking off the limbs and worked their way down. It really eliminated the mess and risk of cutting it at the base and letting it fall.

·
Premium Member
12,737 Posts
Then, I apply pressure with the tractor bucket being really careful to NOT have the teeth anywhere that they could get tangled.
This is moderately dangerous with a good healthy tree but with one that is rotted with a lot of dead limbs just the vibration from touching it with your bucket can cause limbs to break off and come down on your head.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
This is moderately dangerous with a good healthy tree but with one that is rotted with a lot of dead limbs just the vibration from touching it with your bucket can cause limbs to break off and come down on your head.

Recently dead and old dead are different beasts, but even a little dead goes to dangerous dead in a couple short years.

I avoid pushing over 'any' dead with my bucket and I have a bigger tractor than many on here. The tops like to come back down towards the direction force is applied - that means it wants to land on you!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts