Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone run a cab on their lawn/garden tractor in the winter for snow removal? I am curious about them and if they are worth the trouble and hassle and what not. Hard cab vs soft cab and ease of access to engine compartment and fuel refill. Do they leave wear marks on the fenders and hood and what do they actually mount to?

·
Registered
8,467 Posts
Cab Question Response

Anyone run a cab on their lawn/garden tractor in the winter for snow removal? I am curious about them and if they are worth the trouble and hassle and what not. Hard cab vs soft cab and ease of access to engine compartment and fuel refill. Do they leave wear marks on the fenders and hood and what do they actually mount to?
I have carefully investigated a cab option for my current tractor, which is a JD 455. It was the only option which I did not purchase with my tractor when I bouight the entire equipment set up new, years ago.

Here is what I have found with "cabs". Depending upon your tractor model, finding a used one can be very difficult. Also, most companies which make cabs don't seem to continue making cabs for more than a handful of years once the tractor models change.

In my case, whenever I have located a used cab, it was usually owned by a municipality, or some other commercial applications. This means that they usually spread salt on sidewalks, parking lots, etc in order to prevent falls for customers, etc. This means these cabs are often heavily rusted and rotted from exposure to road salt, etc., at least in the Upper midwest, Great lakes area.

I just priced a cab for a new tractor, the 1025R. A hard cab, with the heater and wipers, etc was over $6,500. When my tractor was new back in the mid 90's, a new cab for mine was more than $4,500.

The cabs seem well engineered for allowing easy fuel filling, hood opening, etc. The tractors I have seen which use cabs usually show some small signs of the cab being on the chassis like paint rub where the cab sits on the body, etc. But like most anything, it all depends upon the person who owned it and used it. Some tractors show no signs a cab is used while others show wear signs and scratches from improper install attempts, etc.

In my earlier years, a cab seemed unimportant. As I age, it becomes more of a priority to get out of the weather. I will say that I plow about a dozen drives and approx 1.5 miles of private roads, so when I go out to plow, I am usually out there for 2.5 to 4 hours each plowing, depending upon the snowfall amounts. Last year I plowed 39 times, which my detailed records indicated I put 179 engine hours on my tractor from October 31st to the following April 1st. That was much more than a usual winter.

There are several companies which make "weather enclosures", which are the soft sided, clear plastic and usually black vinyl "enclosures" which are installed over a very basic pole / rod type frame. The access in and out is thru zippers or velcro openings. These are far less expensive than the hard or soft sided cabs. They tend to appear to be more universal in their applications, than specific per tractor model. I just can't seem to get excited about these "enclosures", but If I were able to see one in person and get a better look at them, then maybe I would feel differently.

My primary concern about the "enclosures" is they appear that strong winds and the extensive use I would require would result in a short life the way I would use it. For someone wanting to get out and do their drive and spend 15 to 30 minutes and then return to the garage, these seem designed for that purpose. When I am plowing, I am on and off the tractor as I shovel steps and have a small walk behind blower mounted on the rear of my tractor that I use for some of the walkways. I also have a salt spreader on the back of my tractor so I am afraid that my going in and out of the zipper and velcro doors would result in a failure in a short time.

Plus, frankly, if I am getting a cab, I want heat and great visibility. I dont want fogged up clear plastic or distorted views as I do most of my plowing before sun rise.

There are different outfits selling the "weather enclosures" on ebay, etc. In my experience, the smaller the tractor, the less likely a cab was made for it or that if your tractor is not a current or 1st prior year model, most companies have already discontinued making their cabs. Used cabs in good shape are quite rare. I know because I have looked long and hard.

Hope this insight and experience is helpful to answering your question.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I have an older model soft-side cab on my 314, used it on a 74-112 before that: HPIM2523.JPG HPIM2524.JPG

It mounts with 2-5/16" holes in each fender & 2 in each footrest. I plug the fender holes in the off season with plastic body plugs from an auto parts store. The canvas does buff the hood slightly. I don't need a heater, but a small fan across the windshield stops fogging. I only use it for the snowblower, prefer open air for the 420 w/54 blade! ~~ Lowell

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a hard sided Curtis cab on my X595, heater and wiper. I love it. I got tired of getting snow covered from the blower and wind changes. And you cannot always blow with the wind. I leave it on year around. It is noisier mowing, so use ear protection.

I had to purchase a high hour X475 with cab. Both were in good shape, so moved the cab to my X595 and sold the mower. Came our pretty reasonable on my cab. I was amazed when I took the cab off the X475 that there were very few marks from the cab. With a good washing, one could not tell that the X475 used to have a cab except for one bolt hole in each floorboard.

With the heater, a light jacket and I am good to go. And my neighbors are certainly glad that I got it as I stay out longer and do more of their driveways.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Cab

I have a hard sided Curtis cab on my X595, heater and wiper. I love it. I got tired of getting snow covered from the blower and wind changes. And you cannot always blow with the wind. I leave it on year around. It is noisier mowing, so use ear protection.

I had to purchase a high hour X475 with cab. Both were in good shape, so moved the cab to my X595 and sold the mower. Came our pretty reasonable on my cab. I was amazed when I took the cab off the X475 that there were very few marks from the cab. With a good washing, one could not tell that the X475 used to have a cab except for one bolt hole in each floorboard.

With the heater, a light jacket and I am good to go. And my neighbors are certainly glad that I got it as I stay out longer and do more of their driveways.
I can not say enough good things about having a hard cab on a garden tractor. I have a 425 and install it every fall. A bit of work for a lot of comfort. There isn't a heater on this unit. As long as you're dressed for the season a heater is not necessary. I fear that if there is any heat, then the windows may frost up. Great to use when it is windy. Not sure what brand it is. If you need to clear snow a lot, very easy to justify.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have an older model soft-side cab on my 314, used it on a 74-112 before that: View attachment 33721 View attachment 33722

It mounts with 2-5/16" holes in each fender & 2 in each footrest. I plug the fender holes in the off season with plastic body plugs from an auto parts store. The canvas does buff the hood slightly. I don't need a heater, but a small fan across the windshield stops fogging. I only use it for the snowblower, prefer open air for the 420 w/54 blade! ~~ Lowell
That's a really good looking cab on a really good looking tractor! :good2: I don't think I am going to be able to find anything like that though. All I have seen are some soft cabs with the plastic glass and I don't like that idea much. They still want $900 for those cheap looking ones.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am thinking pretty hard on getting one of the manual blade angle kits for my 48" front blade. Looks like no modifications are required like drilling holes. It is a pita having to get off every time to adjust the blade angle. Anyone here have one? how well do they work? Best place to get one?

Think I might just get the angle kit and get some heated socks and gloves and call it good.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
That's a really good looking cab on a really good looking tractor! :good2: I don't think I am going to be able to find anything like that though. All I have seen are some soft cabs with the plastic glass and I don't like that idea much. They still want $900 for those cheap looking ones.
The canvas is a bit rough along the bottom edges, but it serves the purpose! I bought it off ebay several years ago six hours from home, made a two day trip out of it! It's the older style with the curtain-style doors, I need to make them into the hinged doors! ~~ Lowell

·
Registered
8,467 Posts
I am thinking pretty hard on getting one of the manual blade angle kits for my 48" front blade. Looks like no modifications are required like drilling holes. It is a pita having to get off every time to adjust the blade angle. Anyone here have one? how well do they work? Best place to get one?

Think I might just get the angle kit and get some heated socks and gloves and call it good.
I have a hydraulic angle kit on my 455 and I can't imagine life without it. I plow a LOT OF SNOW, and some 0f the private roads I plow have large culdesacs. WIth the power angle kit, I am constantly in motion and rarely have to back up. I can plow the culdesacs as fast if not faster than a pick up truck with plow because when I am moving, I am pushing snow and I am not wasting time backing up to take another run at plowing forward.

The hydraulic angle or I have even seen some electric servo type angle kits are ideal if you plow snow.

I have seen various kits on Ebay. Also, depending upon the tractor model, you may be able to either get one from the Deere parts department or retrofit one form another model deere. They are very simple systems.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a hydraulic angle kit on my 455 and I can't imagine life without it. I plow a LOT OF SNOW, and some 0f the private roads I plow have large culdesacs. WIth the power angle kit, I am constantly in motion and rarely have to back up. I can plow the culdesacs as fast if not faster than a pick up truck with plow because when I am moving, I am pushing snow and I am not wasting time backing up to take another run at plowing forward.

The hydraulic angle or I have even seen some electric servo type angle kits are ideal if you plow snow.

I have seen various kits on Ebay. Also, depending upon the tractor model, you may be able to either get one from the Deere parts department or retrofit one form another model deere. They are very simple systems.

Hope this helps.
I have seen them available at several places for around $200 or so. Looks to be fairly simple and would be money well spent I am sure. As of now how I do it is I plow as much as I can with the blade in one direction then switch it and do as much as possible and so on. Its a hassle and the angle kit looks very appealing to me.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Brother, you hit all my concerns about aftermarket cabs on these machines. I have a darn near perfect 445 I purchased new. I started with the snow blade. Here in Michigan, our winters were not too bad for a few years. Then, I purchased a model 47 snow thrower for the 445 about three years later. Much better and less stress on the machine. I would not install weights or chains. I did not want to damage the paint or tear up my drive. More concerned about the Deere! I looked at tractors with cabs on them. I know what you mean. They sure can leave rub marks. So many years went by. I donated my left kidney to my wife. Seemed for the next year or so, she was much more agreeable about my plans for another tractor. I found a used 322 at a local JD dealer. I found a really nice used cab on Ebay for that same tractor. So I threw a leg over the Harley and set out to the dealer to look at the 322. It was pretty solid, unrestored and well used. Not abused neither. But sitting next to it, was a X728 that was almost 2 years old with 130 hrs on it. Had a few scuff marks on it but otherwise very nice. I looked at the Curtis cab but choose the Cozy because it was larger, all glass, and because they only had 30 units left in stock at the factory for that particular X728, they were tossing in the heater kit for nothing. That is about $500! With the windshield wiper and front fender kit also added. So, the deal was made, my queen was cool, and the mighty Deere left the dealer with a new cab and the new front hanger needed to move my 47 snow thrower to it. Then, last winter was a killer. I do 9 driveways before I head off to work. In total comfort. When the temperature was much below zero and the wind was blowing what seemed a million miles per hour I needed the heater fan on hi, otherwise, low is comfortable with bibs and a sweatshirt. Never need a hat or gloves. I purchased a defroster fan for it and the liner for the roof before the snow flew and I was glad. This summer, I installed LED flashers on the corners of the roof to mimic the real field tractors like the 4440. Installed a Stereo system that works with my iPhone and some LED floods below the cab to light up around the front wheels and side of the tractor. I also added a 4 gauge cable and connector to the battery so I can jump it without lifting the hood. Which I hope I never need. The cab will never leave that machine. And my 445 will always look new. Yes, I won the lottery of life!

·
Super Moderator
7,949 Posts
When I had my 420 and moved to my current location I decided to retrofit it with a 47 snowblower. It wasn't long before I realized that I needed some extra protection. I had my original paperwork from the purchase of my machine and there was a Femco cab listed as an option. Decided to Google the part number and found a new, old stock cab at a John Deere Dealer out West. Called them and they were eager to sell it. I think I paid about $500 including shipping. Best $500 I even spent! The little rig did a pretty admirable job but with ~ 800' of driveway and a pretty good hill I decided I needed 4WD so I eventually upgraded. Here are a few photos of the 420, 47 SB and Femco cab Installed:

IMG-20110130-00003.jpg IMG-20110130-00004.jpg JD420-2.jpg JD420-3.jpg

JD420-11.jpg

·
Registered
8,467 Posts
Brother, you hit all my concerns about aftermarket cabs on these machines. I have a darn near perfect 445 I purchased new. I started with the snow blade. Here in Michigan, our winters were not too bad for a few years. Then, I purchased a model 47 snow thrower for the 445 about three years later. Much better and less stress on the machine. I would not install weights or chains. I did not want to damage the paint or tear up my drive. More concerned about the Deere!

I looked at tractors with cabs on them. I know what you mean. They sure can leave rub marks. So many years went by. I donated my left kidney to my wife. Seemed for the next year or so, she was much more agreeable about my plans for another tractor. I found a used 322 at a local JD dealer. I found a really nice used cab on Ebay for that same tractor. So I threw a leg over the Harley and set out to the dealer to look at the 322. It was pretty solid, unrestored and well used. Not abused neither. But sitting next to it, was a X728 that was almost 2 years old with 130 hrs on it. Had a few scuff marks on it but otherwise very nice.

I looked at the Curtis cab but choose the Cozy because it was larger, all glass, and because they only had 30 units left in stock at the factory for that particular X728, they were tossing in the heater kit for nothing. That is about $500! With the windshield wiper and front fender kit also added. So, the deal was made, my queen was cool, and the mighty Deere left the dealer with a new cab and the new front hanger needed to move my 47 snow thrower to it.

Then, last winter was a killer. I do 9 driveways before I head off to work. In total comfort. When the temperature was much below zero and the wind was blowing what seemed a million miles per hour I needed the heater fan on hi, otherwise, low is comfortable with bibs and a sweatshirt. Never need a hat or gloves. I purchased a defroster fan for it and the liner for the roof before the snow flew and I was glad.

This summer, I installed LED flashers on the corners of the roof to mimic the real field tractors like the 4440. Installed a Stereo system that works with my iPhone and some LED floods below the cab to light up around the front wheels and side of the tractor. I also added a 4 gauge cable and connector to the battery so I can jump it without lifting the hood. Which I hope I never need. The cab will never leave that machine. And my 445 will always look new. Yes, I won the lottery of life!
Wow, I realized when I re-read your post that your REALLY DID donate a kidney, which made her more agreeable. What a guy. Sounds like everyone won on that deal......

Sounds like a great set up. Oh, and Welcome to the GTT forum!

·
Registered
359 Posts
I hope you like it!

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
cab for 2520

Has anyone bought a cab from Cover My Tractor? I'm looking for a cab for my 2520. Thanks

·
Registered
8,467 Posts
I hope you like it!
How does the cab on the 7 Series clear your garage door header? I measured in my garage and based upon the factory height with the cab given by Deere, a cab would clear the top of my garage door by about 1" to maybe 1.25". Is that what you found with yours?

Nice looking units, by the way.

What are you doing with the 445 which requires the suit case weights out front?

Does your 445 have a 3 point hitch or rear PTO? Just curious.....

·
Registered
8,467 Posts
Has anyone bought a cab from Cover My Tractor? I'm looking for a cab for my 2520. Thanks
I have not purchased one from them but I did just go to their website and look at the units. This company actually makes both "Tractor Covers" like "Car Covers" as well as making what I refer to as "Weather Enclosures".

I noticed the 2006 2520 Deere apparently has two variations which determine the actual weather enclosure. It is whether your tractor has a fixed ROPS or a folding one.

It would be nice to see their product in person and know how it really installs......

Now, I would like to know if anyone actually has a "Tractor Cover" for their tractor? The "Cover my Tractor" website indicates that their tractor cover comes with a storage bag which you can mount to the ROPS so you have the cover with you to cover the tractor at any time. While I am the first to like accessories, carrying a tractor cover on my ROPS seems a bit over the top to me. But, that's just me. My tractor does sleep in a heated garage.

Even as particular as I am about taking care of my stuff, I can't imagine an actual "tractor cover" as I would be taking it on and off nearly everyday.......I cover all of my motorcycles and even have a cover for my Mercedes Benz which is my daily driver, but somehow, a cover for my tractor seems unnecessary.

How many out there in GTT land cover their tractors?:mocking:

·
Registered
8,467 Posts
When I had my 420 and moved to my current location I decided to retrofit it with a 47 snowblower. It wasn't long before I realized that I needed some extra protection. I had my original paperwork from the purchase of my machine and there was a Femco cab listed as an option. Decided to Google the part number and found a new, old stock cab at a John Deere Dealer out West. Called them and they were eager to sell it. I think I paid about $500 including shipping. Best $500 I even spent! The little rig did a pretty admirable job but with ~ 800' of driveway and a pretty good hill I decided I needed 4WD so I eventually upgraded. Here are a few photos of the 420, 47 SB and Femco cab Installed:

View attachment 33953 View attachment 33954 View attachment 33955 View attachment 33956

View attachment 33957
Do you still have the 420? Very nice looking tractor and cab set up. Extremely clean units........Congrats.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts