Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received an automated call today saying my Debit card had been deactivated and to Press "1" to re-activate. They didn't say they were from my bank (some calling service)

I press "1" - as soon as it connects and asks for my debit card number my alarm bells go off and I hang up.

Went and used my card - it's just fine.

Someone phishing for data. Keep your eyes open people.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Banks will rarely call for things like that, if ever..

Best to call them or head to their lobby.

Jim

·
Registered
732 Posts
Banks will rarely call for things like that, if ever..

Best to call them or head to their lobby.

Jim
Had my cc company call me once and leave a message that my card had been attempted to be used in China. Please call us back at ###.
Needless to say it sounded like the bank, but the number did not match the one on the back of the card. So I called the number on the card and sure enough it was them and they were very helpful. Turns out someone tried a cash withdraw using a copy of my card and pin, and to the banks credit they stop the payment and no money was every taken.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I'd be curious how they got your pin.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
So, does anyone think that "Lifelock" business does any good with this scam stuff... or other stuff for that matter? Or, is that an even bigger scam...?

·
Registered
709 Posts
So, does anyone think that "Lifelock" business does any good with this scam stuff... or other stuff for that matter? Or, is that an even bigger scam...?
I have LifeLock after wife's purse was stolen. I figured it may be worth trying after that just in case. I found they notify quicker than the bank on questionable transactions and they watch my credit reports for activity more than I can.

Your PIN number can be compromised many ways now days.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I have the protection through my Homeowner's Insurance. I have heard good things about it, and hope that I never need such as LifeLock.

ID theft can be a very hard things to deal with though.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I have been thinking of getting lifelock any body have any good or bad information about them.

Doug

·
Registered
892 Posts
I have LifeLock too. Been impressed with them as well.

The way pins are setup, the banks are not even to know yours. They use a non reversible encryption technique called a checksum. They don't know your pin but they know this checksum value.

The most common way a pin is stolen is by someone seeing you enter it. This can be with the naked eye , a skimmer/camera install, or such. Best to cover your hand when entering and look for oddly installed devices at the ATM.

Bad guys put these skimming devices on an ATM and the skimmer reads your mag stripe on the card to lift the # and a nearby camera watches you type the pin.

Jim

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I wish to Heaven that a congressman or senator would get ripped by one of these scams, maybe somebody would do something. Heck, they prosecute mail fraud and smoking in buildings more agressively than cyber crimes...

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I agree, it does seem much of this is dealt with lightly or not at all. I remember reading an article sometime ago about a lawyer that literally dedicated his practice to going after spammers. Wish someone could dedicate some time in our government to dealing with this stuff. As internet use increases, it will be needed even more.

I wish to Heaven that a congressman or senator would get ripped by one of these scams, maybe somebody would do something. Heck, they prosecute mail fraud and smoking in buildings more agressively than cyber crimes...

·
Registered
892 Posts
I just enjoy doing what I can to help clients increase their security.

Jim

·
Premium Member
14,701 Posts
I have the protection through my Homeowner's Insurance. I have heard good things about it, and hope that I never need such as LifeLock.

ID theft can be a very hard things to deal with though.
Same here for the homeowners insurance.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have USAA Insurance and haven't checked on it with them. I should find out.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I have Farmer's. I think I pay an extra $2/yr on the Homeowner's policy to have their protection. I know of one friend that it paid off well for, when someone emptied her checking account. Farmer's replaced the money, and then went to work trying to trace. Better them than an individual! Insurance companies will get noticed and results, with possible prosecution, whereas all is lost in the paperwork with the individual. Our small sheriff's dept. used to deal with a case or two of ID theft, involving depleted bank accounts, 1-2 times a year. Now they claim they get those reports 4-5 times a day!!!!

Banks have minimum wage sorters come in after hours and process the checks to go to the major sorting facilities around the country. All of your info is available to them. My mom had some of her checks "washed", then copies made and floated across the country. They had a fake ID, but had accurate DL number, and address, because that is in the computer and other files at the bank.

We are not as secure as we would like to think. I too would love to see the entire lot of the politicians in Washington have ID theft happen to them. Maybe then, it would become a priority. As it is now, they protect the banks, not the individuals with their money in the banks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts