Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I achieved my Eagle at the age of 14. Being a boy scout was some of the best times in my life. I am finding that there are more of us out there than I realized, we seem to keep a low profile. So, how many of Eagles do we have hanging around this forum? Let's hear about some of your scouting memories.

Eagle Pin.png

·
Registered
967 Posts
Achieved LIFE rank(?). Order of the Arrow. Did a winter camp out..... 2-3' snowfall that night. Uggg! We survived.

·
Premium Member
7,690 Posts
I made Star and was working on Life. Also Order of the Arrow. Troop broke up for reasons unknown to me.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I never made it to eagle I ran out of motivation and time soon after but was involved in scouts until I was 18 and had a great time I got to see and do a lot of things I probably wouldn't otherwise

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I too made it to Life, but then my family moved and I didn't join a new troop.

Later in life I watched my lazy brother-in-law basically have it handed to him (Dad did 90% of the work on his project) and it has lost all of its luster these days.

Both my kids have been in/out of Cub Scouts/Webelos/Boy Scouts but right now both are out. They like the camping and outdoors activities but despise the meetings. Can't say I blame them too much.

As a family we do plenty of that outdoor stuff (more than the local troop does) so it's not like they are really missing out on much.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Only made it to Life myself, joined Scouts late and monetary concerns with my family limited my opportunities to go to big camps to really earn the number of badges needed to get to Eagle.

I really liked the troup, the leaders, the other scouts and all of the activities, experiences and skills I learned-wouldn't trade it for the world!

·
Super Moderator
5,095 Posts
Heh. For some reason I was never a Scout as a kid. All my sisters were in Girl Scouts but I never did Boy Scouts.

Somehow I did manage to get roped into being a Scoutmaster and after 12 years of that, a County Commissioner for 4 years before I gave it up.

I always enjoyed watching the boys develop their skills and kinda wished I could go back in time and do it myself.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I was a scout leader both my boys made it to eagle. Did high adventure at Philmont what a time!

Doug

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great stuff guys. :thumbup1gif:

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Boy thats so long ago I have no Idea what rank I got too but I know I never made eagle scout. But 2 days ago I took my 6 year old grandson to his first cub scout meeting he had a blast. Brought back memories of camping and canoeing. Im looking forward to going out in the shop next week and building the famed pine wood derby car for the up coming races. Ive been searching for cars to build there are some pretty cool ones out there but I keep telling myself I have to let him do it with a little guidence from me. Should be a fun project.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I was a scout leader both my boys made it to eagle. Did high adventure at Philmont what a time!

Doug
I was able to go to Philmont when I was in scouts and what a great trip being from upstate ny that was something I had never seen before

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I served as a chapter chief, obtained vigil, have all three palms, and the church award.

I went to Philmont in '74 and National Jamboree in '73 in Idaho. I even worked one summer at camp as an counselor. Man, what memories.

Keep the experiences coming gang. :good2:

·
Registered
67 Posts
found a link to this old thread, wonder if anyone will read it.

I was perusing the what did you do in your workshop " thread and found a link here. I earned my Eagle in '92, was the at national jamboree in '93 and was a brotherhood member of OA past my 18th bday until college got in the way. Now after a 23 yr hiatus from BSA I got (happily) "roped" into den leader for my 5yr old's new Lion Cub den. My first meeting it tomorrow evening. So far I have 7 boys signed up and at least one other dad willing to stay for the meeting.

After I picked up the knots I'm entitled to: My poor wife had more patches to sew on my shirt than our son's!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hey since this was 'bumped' I'd figure I'd add in! I'm an Eagle Scout. Got it at 17/18. Scouting was amazing for me and I'm glad I stuck with it. It's pretty cool to look back and realize all of the life lessons that I picked up along the way. I've been 'volunteering' the past 3-4 years in helping the council organize the yearly golf tournament. It's not fully invested, but someday I may get back to it. OA member too, but as with many, college came and scouting went away.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts