Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every since I saw my first Mac, a Mac II, back in the 80s, I have been enthralled with Macs. I used a Mac II, then a Mac Centris at work back in the 80s/90s.

I bought my first PC back in 2003, a HP Pavilion, which didn't last long. Tired of it and the constant security upgrading, I bought my first Mac in September 2006, an iMac Intel Duo Core 2.0, which I still have. I then bought two throw away Macs for fun, an iMac G3 Slot Loading and PowerMac G3 Slot Loadingl. Last year, I picked up G4 Mac Mini 1.25 and 22 Inch Apple Cinema Display. Over the weekend I bought a PowerMac G4 1.25 Ghz Duo FW800. This last one is super fast, even though it's about 9 years old. The guy I got it from used to work for Apple and has two rooms full of Mac stuff. He loaded this one up pretty good with Microsoft Office 2008, OS 10.5.8, Appleworks, etc.

I still have all of these Macs and all are in working order.

Anyone else into Macs?

Love my Macs.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Haven't owned a Mac yet, but plan on purchasing a new one soon. Started out with using Apple's in grade school, but when at college none of them had any. Think most were HP's or another brand. After some very very distasteful experiences with Dell, I will definitely be getting a Mac.

·
Registered
278 Posts
While I will say you are much more hardcore than I am, I love Macs too. I was never really into computers until I was pretty much forced into it in the late 90's. I owned a couple of Dell's and it was pretty much a miserable experience from both the hardware and software side. Once I bought my first MacBook, I was hooked. Now it's all I will buy. I still have to deal with Dell and windows at work unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Count me in as well:thumbup1gif:

I haven't had a Mac until my last computer bought a couple years ago, but after a Dell laptop where the hinge broke off and an HP that quit taking power and wouldn't charge without an $800 repair to the motherboard, I was ready for a change. Before that it was an extremely ancient home computer that never ran/worked anyway, but at the time I didn't care.

I have to say my Macbook Pro is the best thing out. I must say I've also got an iPhone and iPad now too. I've been extremely happy with the quality of the product. Before my iPhone I had one of the Droid's and although they've probably came a ways since I got it a couple years ago, I won't go back. You pay a little more, but you get a higher quality product in my opinion. Anyway, that's the nerd inside of me:bye:

·
Registered
11,405 Posts
Haven't owned a Mac yet, but plan on purchasing a new one soon. Started out with using Apple's in grade school, but when at college none of them had any. Think most were HP's or another brand. After some very very distasteful experiences with Dell, I will definitely be getting a Mac.
You make me feel very old. In grade school I used my fingers, paper and pencil, moved up to a slide rule for college.

Don

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
You make me feel very old. In grade school I used my fingers, paper and pencil, moved up to a slide rule for college.

Don
:empathy: Me too...except we did get to use the latest and greatest TI 55 calculator in college

·
Administrator
17,292 Posts
iPhone and iPad here...

·
Registered
287 Posts
I, my wife, my son, and my two daughters are all on Macs. I only have one program that requires Windows (autoenginity) and I run Parallels on the mac to accommodate it. They only reason I keep this Windows only application is I haven't found a suitable replacement on the mac plus the investment in the hardware to connect it to my vehicles.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I started using a MAC early on after OS X came along, I was using LINUX and UNIX on a PC before that for a long time. You might know that MAC OS X is solidly built on UNIX. I thought it was more stable and had a better GUI than the various Linux flavors, so I switched close to 10 years ago, maybe longer.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
A lot more Mac users on here than I would have thought!

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
I, my wife, my son, and my two daughters are all on Macs. I only have one program that requires Windows (autoenginity) and I run Parallels on the mac to accommodate it. They only reason I keep this Windows only application is I haven't found a suitable replacement on the mac plus the investment in the hardware to connect it to my vehicles.
I keep an old PC laptop just for AutoEngenuity, as well. :)

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
A lot more Mac users on here than I would have thought!
I would like to think that we all have an eye for the best products out there. now if they could just make the macs green.:lol:

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
I bought my first Mac, a 15" Macbook Pro, last February and after a month or so of getting the hang of it, I wonder why in the world I waited so long and dealt with so much frustration dealing with a PC. I've never known anybody that switched to a Mac that regretted it.

I love my computer again now.

·
Super Moderator
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As I said, I have been interested in Macs since the 80s when our company had a bunch of Mac IIs. I'm a mechanical design engineer, so at the time I was on a drafting board using ink and mylar. We were using MacDraw though on the Mac IIs. We also had stand alone workstations running Unigraphics on Unix. In 1993, I started using a Mac Centris and was doing 2D drafting using Claris Cad. Unfortunately Claris stopped supporting their Claris Cad and I haven't found a decent replacement since. Now I'm using NX on my Windows XP based PC here at work and I also use Canvas, which is a poor replacement for the Claris Cad. We can't upgrade to Windows 7 nor to Windows 8 because NX doesn't play well with either one. I keep telling them the solution is to use a Mac, but I doubt a company as large as mine will listen. lol

I bought my first PC back in '03 for home use, and though I wanted a Mac, I couldn't convince the wife that the extra money spent on one was worth it. So we bought a HP Pavilion running Windows XP. I had to download the Service Packs myself as the computer did not come with it. We were on dial up and security and spyware was a problem, so the service packs were a must. After a year, the hard drive crash and I had to replace it. I did not get any recovery disks with the computer so I called HP and they sent me the disks, but only software that came with the computer. So Windows XP without the service packs which I had to download. So after I loaded the recovery disks on the HP, I had to get on the internet to download the service packs from Microsoft. Remember I only got dial up at the time. Also remember that Windows XP without the service packs left your computer vulnerable to virus, spyware and malware. So as soon as I got on the internet to download the service pack I was bombarded with spyware and malware, and my home page instantly became Sexy Girls.com. After a week of frustrations and me wanting to throw the thing out the window, I finally was successful by loading an AOL disk and getting into Microsoft through the back door.

In 2006, after 3 years of slow computing, my wife was beginning to see why we needed a Mac. We were constantly updating our security. So we bought an iMac Intel and hadn't looked back since. Love our Macs.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Mac, iPhone, iPad. Have PC for circuit board software and FPGA software but that's all it does.

Also run BSD Unix.

Pete

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts