Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I’m a Deere guy, but back in the day my grandpa had a ‘52 Super M in addition to their B. Evidently there was a post war time incentive program to put Vets in G tractors and the dealers sold everyone else As and Bs. My great grandpa needed a larger tractor so they had to go red to get a tillage work horse.

Because of this, I’ve always thought the Super M was a tractor I would like to own.

There is currently a pretty nice super M just 10 minutes from my house. It’s in decent shape, but does leak. I think it would require splitting the tractor to fix, which I would probably need to hire done. Can anyone speak to this tractor specifically on the repair and what it might be worth. It’s listed at 3,450 and I’m told everything is operational. I would have a compression test done as well. I’m told it’s an “older restoration.” Rear tires are good. Fronts are just starting to show some cracks.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seems a little high to what I usually see them listed. I think they all leak?😂
Good tires is a plus. What are you planning to use it for, show or work?
I’m told these older tractors like to “mark their territory.” I would largely just have it for collector purposes. I do live on 15 acres so I may use it to pull a wagon or run a brush cutter behind it. Nothing too crazy. Of course their are shows I might bring it to. I was thinking anything under 3k it’s probably a fair price?

·
Super Moderator
2,762 Posts
It does seem a bit high on the price. As for the leak, where is it leaking from? How much is it leaking? I had an H, a B, a C and a couple of Cubs - none of them leaked. I did have to split the B to replace a flywheel and clutch, but it wasn't because it was leaking.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
If you don’t have your own way to haul one buying one you can drive home recoups some of your cost. If it’s what you want and close by and the price seems reasonable to you then buy it. It’s good looking runner with good rubber and can do a lot of work still today. A comparable CUT would cost you way more than that. An M doesn’t have 3 point or live PTO but the Super M does have live hydraulics making it a good candidate for a 3 point conversion.

·
Registered
180 Posts
There is a guy with a you tube channel " Just a few acres farm " that has and uses old Farmall tractors. This past winter he rebuilt the front half of an MD .

Anyways he seems to be knowledgeable on rebuilding his red tractors, maybe watch a few of his videos and reach out to him with questions about costs and where to go looking for parts? Just a thought.

·
Registered
1999 JD GT235 w/54" deck; 1999 JD 4100HST w/410 loader; 2014 Grasshopper 930D w/72" deck
131 Posts
Before my father took over the day to day farming and went green, our stable was 3 FarmAlls. A nice Super C, a plain C and an M. We kept the C to pull our grain wagons & chemical fertilizer wagon, and mow stalks with our stubblebeater, after dad converted the narrow front end to wide. They were all nice, dependable tractors. I learned how to 'drive' on the Super C.

I'd tell the seller that you'll take it for what he's asking... if he fixes the leaks and replaces the tires starting to weather crack, OR you'll take it "as-is" ...for $1k less, and see what he says.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Before my father took over the day to day farming and went green, our stable was 3 FarmAlls. A nice Super C, a plain C and an M. We kept the C to pull our grain wagons & chemical fertilizer wagon, and mow stalks with our stubblebeater, after dad converted the narrow front end to wide. They were all nice, dependable tractors. I learned how to 'drive' on the Super C.

I'd tell the seller that you'll take it for what he's asking... if he fixes the leaks and replaces the tires starting to weather crack, OR you'll take it "as-is" ...for $1k less, and see what he says.
Not a bad thought. This one is at a New Holland dealer. Does that impact your thinking at all? Main point being, it’s not private party. I wonder if that makes them more “proud” of the equipment. Maybe so, and maybe less emotionally tied as well.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Not a bad thought. This one is at a New Holland dealer. Does that impact your thinking at all? Main point being, it’s not private party. I wonder if that makes them more “proud” of the equipment. Maybe so, and maybe less emotionally tied as well.
If it’s at a dealer lowball the heck out of them. They don’t want that sitting around for long.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Additional pictures regarding the leak:
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Road surface

Reactions: Uncle Wayne

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What kind of fluid is leaking? Engine oil? Gear oil? Hydraulic oil?
I believe it’s 80w90 gear oil, but I didn’t wipe it to see what it looked like or smelled like. I had my wife and kids with so I was short on time. From the sounds of it, it’s usually a gear oil leak in that location.

·
Registered
1999 JD GT235 w/54" deck; 1999 JD 4100HST w/410 loader; 2014 Grasshopper 930D w/72" deck
131 Posts
I'd be more inclined to think a dealer would be willing to work on the vehicle to fix things prior to selling than a private seller; especially if it involves splitting the machine. Either way, what they're asking is too much - based on the conditions shown in the pictures you posted. It certainly isn't parade/showroom ready. And, more importantly, if you plan to do any work with that tractor then that leak needs addressing; it's not going to fix itself nor get any better... and it'll likely cost you way more than what you'd want to sink into it to do the repair, especially if you were to contract outside help. The tires aren't really an issue, but it'd be nice to have new ones before you drive it off the lot. If they won't fix the leak or work with you on the price then I'd pass.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update. The tractor is being sold on consignment for a widow of a tractor collector. She currently has 4 different tractors on consignment with the dealership. They said that they do not have the interest/ability to do any work on the tractors unless the buyer pays for it. They also said she recently reduced the price by $500 and they feel confident that it will sell. They also said there isn’t much negotiating, but that they could include transport.

This was all said over the phone. It’s possible if I show up and offer 3k they might bite. I would guess they’re pre authorized at a certain price?

Reactions: Uncle Wayne

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Do you know how long the tractor has been sitting there? I think your plan to offer them the $3K is good. I'd be willing to pay $3.2K if I wanted the tractor. Looks like a great buy to me. My granddaddy had a M just like that.

Reactions: DarkhorseFarmer

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don’t know. This was the first I’ve seen of it. I had looked in the past and never noticed it. There have been a few other 1930s-50s tractors there from time to time but I never noticed it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts