Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I went with my son's Boy Scout troop on a campout on the Iowa class battleship New Jersey.
It was a great experience with a lot learned.
The New Jersey is the most decorated battleship in US Navy history.
Battle service in WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Lebanon, and the Gulf.
The machine shop and electric motor rebuild shop were awesome as well as being in the 16" gun turrets.
There were welders everywhere. Mostly old Millers.
Sleeping quarters were tight to say the least!

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

·
Super Moderator
8,049 Posts
Looks like a great and informative trip! They had a pretty well equipped machine shop on that Battleship. I was born and brought up in Fall River, MA, home of the Battleship Massachusetts. "Big Mamie" as she was called. Visited quite a few times over the years.

Battleship Cove: Fall River, Ma: Naval & Maritime Museum

USS Massachusetts Big Guns.jpg

·
Registered
396 Posts
That is pretty awesome! Growing up, I've always been fascinated by battleships, especially the Bismark (likely due to the fact the first battleship book I read was about it). I'm hoping to go see the USS North Carolina later this year!

·
Registered
22,728 Posts
When you say campout do you mean you got to sleep over on the ship?

I would love an experience like that even at my age. That must have been great for the kids - hope they appreciated how lucky they were to see all that first hand.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When you say campout do you mean you got to sleep over on the ship?

I would love an experience like that even at my age. That must have been great for the kids - hope they appreciated how lucky they were to see all that first hand.
Yep.
We even got served dinner and breakfast in the galley.
It was a very cool experience.
There was an opened hatch at the end of our sleeping bunks that was 6" thick. As well as the whole floor. We were over the rear ammuntion storage bunkers i guess as we were near the stern 16" turret.
Just stuff everywhere! Welded or bolted to the ceilings, walls, floors. And cool oval sealing hatch doors everywhere.
You had to walk everywhere with your head down. lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts